View Single Post
Old 2 May 2017, 13:04
Confirmed User

When I interview job candidates, I am always amazed at how few actually research what we do, who we serve, and the history of the company.

For your first question, tailor your answer to their mission statement, direction the company is headed, and use it to set up the interviewer to ask you more questions that you want to answer. For example, if you were interviewing with a department that has new leadership, such as a new sheriff, mention that the new sheriff has expressed interest in utilizing technology to expedite fugitive recovery and warrant service (or whatever his campaign mentioned). Then roll that into your pertinent experience and interest in that area.

Strengths will vary by applicant, but be honest here. If you are a leader, mention it and give examples, but also mention that you work within your chain of command. Don't brag about being punctual and show up 2 minutes late. People are not looking for robots, so if you have a sense of humor, mention it. If you are someone that they would want to work side by side with, they are more likely to hire you than if you just have the "right" answers memorized.

The biggest thing with the third question is identifying a path to improve on your weakness. Nobody wants to admit that they are imperfect, but don't wuss out on this one and say something like "I can't think of any". That shows the interviewer you are either hiding something or can't think on your feet.

Regarding your last job, remember honesty is the best policy. They will most likely do a background check and reference check. Answering that you are leaving because your boss was a jerk or your co-workers were mean makes you sound like you can't resolve conflict. Answering that you want to make more money may make you sound like you are willing to go to the next agency with deeper pockets and you are not loyal. The best answers I have gotten on this one include opportunity for growth, challenge, and fulfillment. If you buy into the new agency's mission, and it aligns with your personal beliefs, you are more likely to be content and dedicated.

Good luck on the job hunt.