View Single Post
Old 4 May 2017, 08:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Gunner View Post
I have been looking for a new job for numerous reasons, almost exclusively in the federal government, although I did apply for and interview for a job with the state. I am at the point where I am getting referred almost every time I submit a resume on USA Jobs and have had a few interviews. I would like to know how people have answered four questions. I know what the standard MK1 Mod 0 answers are, Id like to see something different that maybe I can tailor to my situation and use in my next interview. In preparing for an interview I do tailor the answers to the job and try to use the question to highlight a quality that they might be looking for.

Question 1. Why should we hire you?

Question 2. What are your strengths?

Question 3. What is your greatest weakness?

Question 4. Why are you leaving your current job?
So I've read over these questions and been ruminating on them, but they all seem too personal for us (me at least) to help you with answers. What are your strengths? I know what mine are, but that doesn't necessarily align with yours. Why are you leaving your current job is a question only you can answer.

I have found that the best way to answer interview questions is blunt yet polite and sincere honesty. I've sat across the table and asked the questions and I feel like I can always detect a lack of sincerity in answers. Interviewers aren't looking for the "textbook perfect" answer. IME, I don't bring anyone in for an interview unless I think they're a good candidate for the job. The quickest way to become NOT a good candidate is a lack of sincerity.

I'm not saying walk in without rehearsing; I've asked basic questions like "What is the most difficult leadership problem you've ever had to solve", only to have people stumble all over themselves trying to come up with an answer.

My recommendation:
1) Search on line for "common interview questions for XXX position".
2) Write down the questions.
3) Write down your sincere answers to these questions.
4) Reread what you've written multiple times, so that it is in your head without having to refer to the paper.

Just my humble opinion...