View Single Post
Old 11 July 2017, 14:54
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post

At 0430, instead of the Ballad or Patton Speech... he put on classical music at the TAC shack. Beethoven, Wagner, etc. Amazing. We're all out in the sawdust pit, knocking out endless flutter kicks & push-ups to the soothing sounds of strings, woodwinds, & brass.

It was great. Motivating. Relaxing. He was a PT animal and smoked us hard. We didn't mind. That music was still playing when we came back through the gate after a rucksack speed march.

Naturally, it was a one time event. No room for free-thinking cadre instructors. Back to high volume Sadler & George C. Scott for every day afterward.
Your post reminds me of Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption, locking himself in the warden's office and playing classical music over the prison loudspeakers.

Some things are too good to last.

As for the Ballad of the Green Beret, I guess for those who serve in that community and have to listen to it more than the average Joe, it gets kind of old. I've only heard the song a handful of times, doesn't really bother me that much.

I thought that Wag the Dog did a pretty good parody/satire of the Ballad with a song based on the fictitious unit "The 303" toward the end of the movie. The unit was fictional not only in it only being a movie, but also was fictitious in the context of the movie's plot, too.

You can definitely hear the influence of the Ballad of the Green Berets in the song.

Check out the berets, half black half Cheetah print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47a7PKhpFJ0