View Single Post
Old 14 April 2019, 12:08
Confirmed User

while the money is very important, it's certainly not the only factor. When I started in the emergency department there had been a change over in management and a turnover rate of 50% with nursing. We had combat pay, for certain shifts that was double time plus 15%. I made serious bank in those days.

Although money will draw an employee, employees usually leave because of culture or leadership issues. At least that's the way it is in nursing.

Where I work now, it's an administrative job so I don't have the shift differential or overtime, but I love my bosses, I get all the time off I want, and they're very supportive. So, I have no real desire to leave (but since I'm getting my master's degree in 3 weeks, I will because I need to get a different job).

The unicorn is to find the clinical environment, with the culture and leadership, and with the money. Those places do exist, but those are the exception and not the rule. Most units are just okay.

What is interesting is that patient outcomes have been correlated to nursing satisfaction, that the more supported a nurse feels in their unit and the more they like their job, the better the patient outcome. This has been recognized by accreditation agencies and by insurers, so these things get measured now and have to be reported. Managers are under the gun to improve satisfaction scores. That said, there is a long, long way to go.