View Single Post
Old 29 April 2006, 12:04
Been There Done That

I know you already read this thread during your extensive research, but I'm including it anyway. You're circumstances are slightly different, but a lot of it still applies.

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45732

You know you're not going to get SF or Ranger or Infantry, so let's move past that. Let me address a couple key points:

1. It's your life, live it.
2. For 90% of people, no single event defines who they are. For that 10%, 9% of them probably wish it didn't.
3. While you can't be a dedicated door kicker, you'll have ample opportunity to live dangerously regardless of MOS.
4. The military is the quintessential "you get out of it what you put into it" job. If you want to be a shitbag, you'll probably hate it. If you want to give 110% and then some, you'll probably enjoy the hell out of it and have some doors opened to you.

My advice: Sign up as a 98G Arabic. You should get plenty of desert time. Do your job well, keep up with your language and your PT, and interesting folks will come looking for you.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk