SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 12 August 2012, 08:08
The Sagacious One

Foreign Currency Exchange

Does anyone have a good method for exchanging foreign currency, preferable over the Internet (I know I will have to mail the bills....). Most of the exchange offices I get to do not take the bills I have and I have what I believe to be several hundred dollars that I would like to buy ammo or beer with. I have also considered just giving the cash to SOTB.

Trying to pay for ammo with Pakistani Rupees is somewhat alarming to certain local guns stores.
Old 12 August 2012, 09:45
Confirmed User

Not over the net, but my Credit Union has done it for me with no problems.
You still have to hand the cash over and wait a few days but it DD's into your account. No worries about mailing cash or working with unknown companies.
Old 12 August 2012, 10:23
<3>

You might try the airport.
Old 12 August 2012, 13:02
Been There Done That

Mail me what you have. I'll send receipts back. Promise.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 12 August 2012, 17:53
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Trying to pay for ammo with Pakistani Rupees is somewhat alarming to certain local guns stores.
I'll bet it is! I'd like to see that.
Old 12 August 2012, 21:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
You might try the airport.
This

Both Reagan and Dulles have currency exchanges at not-usurious rates. They are both in the non-restricted part of the airport.
Regards,
Danny
Old 12 August 2012, 23:11
The Sagacious One

I just went through Houston. They do not take Paki currency or Saudi Riyals.

I was unable to get Rupees until I hit Bahrain. Guess I will call the bank or wait until my next trip.

HDLS,

Nice try Brother......
Old 12 August 2012, 23:17
The Sagacious One

Fucking tablets, sorry
Old 14 August 2012, 06:39
Been There Done That

Is there any Bank of Americas in you AO? They will buy the stuff back but will take a big byte out of it for Processing fees.
Old 15 August 2012, 16:52
Confirmed User

http://www.travelex.com/?utm_source=...oogle%2BPlaces

would this work for you? I've used the one located in Horton Plaza San Diego to exchange Malaysian ringgits.
Old 15 August 2012, 20:41
Policeman Officer

I think using a kiosk is probably the worst option. I have never used my bank, but people tell me that's the best way.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 August 2012, 20:50
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Sigh.

TFG, ignore this miscreants. No one will have YOUR interests at heart like I will.

Send me your bills, coins, IOU slips, whatever. I will take care of getting them changed for you.

I will require an administrative fee of 150% of all moneys to be converted, this should be paid in USD at the time of sending me the Monopoly Board/nonAmeriCAN bills you need exchanged.

Upon conversion of your funny money, I will then deduct a small 15% handling fee and purchase you a USPO money order (deducting the cost of the money order from the amount that has been converted, of course), and send this to you (I will also need to deduct the cost of the envelope, stamp, and POV transportation costs to and from my local post office, as well as per diem for that day's travel).

As you can see, unlike the rest of these guys, I'm looking out for you....
Old 23 August 2012, 15:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Is there any Bank of Americas in you AO? They will buy the stuff back but will take a big byte out of it for Processing fees.
Screw BoA in the dilated collective anus. I tried to get some Iraqi dinars (ca. $200 worth --- no, I wasn't engaging in the "currency speculation" fad, I was only carrying a modest amount for use in-country) exchanged back to US currency about five years ago, BoA were the only bank in a 150 mile radius that would convert any foreign currency. I was told exchange would not be a problem, provided I opened an account with them. Then they quite promptly refused to open an account for me, with no explanation why. So, f*** that bank. I had the same issue more recently trying to exchange Yen and Canadian dollars as well; given my present proximity to the Canadian border this is especially baffling.

Twenty years ago, I could walk into almost any bank lobby chosen at random, plonk down whatever non-US currency I had at the moment, no questions asked, no getting looked at funny, no getting eyeballed with the "are-you-up-to-no-good?" look, etc. Different story now.
Old 23 August 2012, 16:23
Been around, did stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS-G View Post
Screw BoA... I was told exchange would not be a problem, provided I opened an account with them. Then they quite promptly refused to open an account for me, with no explanation why. So, f*** that bank. I had the same issue more recently trying to exchange Yen and Canadian dollars as well; given my present proximity to the Canadian border this is especially baffling.
I was in Mass a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to change a couple of hundred Euros to USD at a BoA; same story. I ended up changing them at a booth in a mall, at a half-decent rate...
Old 23 August 2012, 17:30
The Sagacious One

I go by lots of exchange booths and counters, I fly every week. They just do not take the Paki Happy meal Money
Old 17 August 2017, 08:47
Been There Done That

Found another good place to buy and return foreign currency. AAA!

• All shipping is two-days, so be sure to allow enough time to receive your cash before your trip. Currency purchases less than $1,000 have a $15 shipping fee, and amounts greater than $1,000 USD are shipped free.

• If you purchase online, via our link to Wells Fargo, you are charged $15 for amounts $1,000 or less and nothing for amounts larger. However, if you purchase in a branch and you order $200 or more, standard shipping is free. If it is less than $200, members and nonmembers pay $10.00.
Only catch is that you have to be a member.
Old 17 August 2017, 08:57
Confirmed User

I stopped ordering foreign currency ahead of time when Bank of American tried to charge my dad $14 in fees because he was trying to get two different currencies in one transaction.

He has his mortgage there, checking/savbings, credit cards, everything. They could have waived the fees, but nope, they wanted that $14.

So fuck them.

I opened a Charles Schwab free investor checking/brokerage account. As soon as you deposit any amount of money they mail you a debit card and a box of checks.

No foreign transaction fees, and they reimburse you for an unlimited number of ATM fees.

I keep $10 or so in the account and transfer in more money when I go overseas and I only use it to withdraw money from ATMs.
Old 17 August 2017, 13:05
Been There Done That

^^^^^
That sounds good!

Our new posting rules