SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 18 August 2015, 09:33
Weaponized Pimphand

It was a no-brainer, I had a custom job and I needed to send you the belt to fit the holster to.

Would the OWB (non-MOLLE) holster work with the lever/thumb break? I like having some sort of active retention on my holster, usually (obviously not on the 'battle' belt).

Thanks!

Karma is a bitch, and I am wet with her kisses
Old 18 August 2015, 09:34
Shovel Whisperer

Thanks for chiming in Local. Good report on the 1st Gen items still going strong.
As MG suggested, perhaps adding Loctite would help those screws loosening.
I think I'll add that (great) suggestion to my product-sheets I send along with the holsters.
I would use it myself @ assembly time, but would worry that it'd make for an unpleasant experience for the customer trying to adjust their holster.
Old 18 August 2015, 09:49
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
It was a no-brainer, I had a custom job and I needed to send you the belt to fit the holster to.

Would the OWB (non-MOLLE) holster work with the lever/thumb break? I like having some sort of active retention on my holster, usually (obviously not on the 'battle' belt).

Thanks!
Yessir. I "think" so. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to as soon as I get an extra bit of time to increase my junk pile.

That OWB/MOLLE holster is in fact the same holster.
They use the same bolt pattern so that they can be interchanged as desired.

If you're speaking about the Pancake, I don't know.
That pancake rides, high and tight as I like to say. A mechanical device such as that thumb break might hurt and probably would interfere with the close fit to the body.
The leather thumb-snap as you suggested might be the way to go there. I need to find a good source for those. The one I bought and tried two years ago took pliers to open it. unimpressed.

Any Pancake owners have suggestions on retention??
Old 18 August 2015, 10:00
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Yessir. I "think" so. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to as soon as I get an extra bit of time to increase my junk pile.

That OWB/MOLLE holster is in fact the same holster.
They use the same bolt pattern so that they can be interchanged as desired.

If you're speaking about the Pancake, I don't know.
That pancake rides, high and tight as I like to say. A mechanical device such as that thumb break might hurt and probably would interfere with the close fit to the body.
The leather thumb-snap as you suggested might be the way to go there. I need to find a good source for those. The one I bought and tried two years ago took pliers to open it. unimpressed.

Any Pancake owners have suggestions on retention??
Leave it as is dude,if you set the screw right you won't lose your weapon.
I did everything with mine jumped up and down.Sank in deep snow,skateboarded and wiped out,Rolled down hills,slipped on Ice and mountain biked.Never once worried about retention.

I will admit I didn't have someone try to grab my weapon from behind.None of my holsters have thumb breaks.
Old 18 August 2015, 10:22
Shovel Whisperer

I had a guy recently contacting me to get a pancake and wanted retention added to it because of his job. Never told me what job that was.

Each time after e-mail conversations going back and forth about intricacies, I'd come back to suggesting he just buy the pancake and then mail it back for adjustments if needed.

Reason is, (and I had no luck convincing him) my pancake is different. As anyone can read in this thread, that pancake rides close to the body. And would be darned difficult for someone to remove the HG from you because of it's ride/closeness.
That video in the LE forum where the TN cop removes the citizens weapon would not happen with my pancake if it was being worn as designed IMO.

That thumbscrew is a key part. Don't know about you or others here, but I check mine each time I wear it. And many times have adjusted it based on where I'm at/going.
For me at least, what gives me peace of mind is how it rides.

Last edited by litepath; 18 August 2015 at 10:23. Reason: Grammar
Old 18 August 2015, 10:26
Shovel Whisperer

And in case anyone is wondering. I not only take suggestions, I like them and have incorporated many suggestions along the way.

So yes please, suggest away!
Old 18 August 2015, 11:01
Weaponized Pimphand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post

I will admit I didn't have someone try to grab my weapon from behind. None of my holsters have thumb breaks.
It's not because I'm afraid it'll fall out, I like something active holding it in for retention against someone trying to snatch it.

I have two leather holsters with snaps and I guess I've just gotten used to unsnapping the top then drawing.

Old 18 August 2015, 22:12
Aww F**K it

Do you do an IWB mag holder?

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 18 August 2015, 23:04
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
Do you do an IWB mag holder?
I don't presently have them listed as such, but my single Mag Pouch can be worn IWB. Check out the second photo and I think you'll get my drift. If you have a custom idea, I can work with you on that.

That said, have you considered an Inline Mag Pouch? That is a full size G19 Mag Mold shown in the main photo on me with a 32in. waist size for comparison. And bonus, it'll go on the belt; (easy on/off) upside-down to ride even higher.
Old 18 August 2015, 23:10
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
It's not because I'm afraid it'll fall out, I like something active holding it in for retention against someone trying to snatch it.

I have two leather holsters with snaps and I guess I've just gotten used to unsnapping the top then drawing.
I'll be glad to work with you on the leather snap thumb-break for the Standard Bearer Pancake I offer. I'll research and see if I can find one that would work for you.
The Blackhawk Level II piece is just too large to work on the Pancake.
Old 19 August 2015, 09:21
Weaponized Pimphand

What about thin kydex that's curved? I don't know much about working kydex.

Old 19 August 2015, 09:57
Shovel Whisperer

Alex, let's discuss via e-mail.
Thanks.
Old 19 August 2015, 10:22
Weaponized Pimphand

Roger that

Old 3 September 2015, 19:44
Shovel Whisperer

Finally got a chance to adapt the leather-looking elastic polymer Thumb-break to my Standard Bearer Pancake.
The Blackhawk Level II thumb break was just entirely too large and obtrusive to use.
With this TB, It'll still lay up close to the body, which is in keeping with a key feature of the design.

I've never used a TB, So have no idea how well something like this works under attack.

Back/side alt view.
Old 4 September 2015, 09:36
Bitter old man.

Looks good dude.
Old 4 September 2015, 10:02
Weaponized Pimphand

Oh yeah, that's good stuff!!! I'm guessing it's available in any color you want as long as that's black?

Now to decide which Glock to get one for first...

Old 5 September 2015, 18:47
Confirmed User

I contacted LP about an IWB the could be worn with gym shorts or any such pants that doesn't have a belt system.
Tom went above and beyond on helping me out with what I wanted and needed, he came up with a containment device that still allows the device to be worn with out being seen, but one that did not need a belt.
It's his design so I won't go into what he came up with, that his his decision, but I have worn it since it arrived and I have yet to have an issue with retention or movement when wearing gym shorts or shorts without a belt.
If Tom wishes, I sent him a pic that he can share, but this is my now everyday carry.
Thanks Tom
Old 5 September 2015, 21:43
Animal Tamer

Tom-

You building any for the new Glock 43 9MM? You did such a great job on my last one I want another custom rig. How about an OWB fairly small rig with a forward/angled cant spare mag holder molded into the front for cross draw reloading? The mags are so small I'm thinking it would work. Put me on the patent application partner...
Old 5 September 2015, 21:45
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamin View Post
I contacted LP about an IWB the could be worn with gym shorts or any such pants that doesn't have a belt system.
Tom went above and beyond on helping me out with what I wanted and needed, he came up with a containment device that still allows the device to be worn with out being seen, but one that did not need a belt.
It's his design so I won't go into what he came up with, that his his decision, but I have worn it since it arrived and I have yet to have an issue with retention or movement when wearing gym shorts or shorts without a belt.
If Tom wishes, I sent him a pic that he can share, but this is my now everyday carry.
Thanks Tom
We do pictures here.
Old 5 September 2015, 22:56
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamin View Post
Thanks Tom
My Pleasure Steamin. I'm glad that worked out for you. Gym Shorts. . .I'd have never thought it.

Share any photo/s you like. The one you sent me shows you, slim and trim with no apparent EDC.

Our new posting rules