SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 May 2017, 02:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
LOL! Twist, and hang on!
Ricky Carmichael made the greatest career in MX history with that philosophy, so it must work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
I LOVE Canyon Raceway, 20 minutes from home, when I can get out there. Kids these days are sure humbling (link below). Unbelievable good shit now-a-daze. What a great facility too. 3 separate tracks, and desert trails for miles. $25/all day. And right next to the lake and the Cowtown and Ben Avery ranges. Fucking paradise. I gotta get a party boat and more Parrothead music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0K1QzlBd6E
That's a pretty cool looking track. It was cool to see that girl going slow through the pits, too. When I was a kid, there wasn't a track owner in Southern California who wouldn't hesitate to boot someone for breaking the speed limit in the pits. Now, though, it seems like every video I've seen recently has guys ripping wheelies, or clicking through all the gears before they even get on the track.
Old 5 May 2017, 14:51
Holy Diver

Mainly trail ride but I have been known to dabble on an MX track occasionally (then I am quickly reminded why I should stick to the trails ). Love this sport, love to ride and work on the bikes with my sons too. My 15 year old did an entire top-end rebuild on his little brother's RM125 last summer without any help from me. Fun stuff.

Unfortunately my middle son lost a good portion of his pinky during a freak riding accident last year and learned some tough lessons along the way. One of those was how to hold on to a dangling pinky while riding on the back of dad's bike 3 miles back to the trail head to meet the ambulance. They were able to sew/ pin back on most of it but he is now missing about 1/3 of his pinky finger and has no use of it. But he really learned why we do what we do (ride together with first aid kits, learn first-aid in boy scouts, don't take jumps you have no business tackling, etc.). At least the RM was fine.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1008.JPG
Old 5 May 2017, 20:52
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
That's a pretty cool looking track. It was cool to see that girl going slow through the pits, too. When I was a kid, there wasn't a track owner in Southern California who wouldn't hesitate to boot someone for breaking the speed limit in the pits.
They even staff an ambulance on standby on practice days since it's 5 miles out of town. It only sucks sometimes when they over-water it and turn it to mud. Saw my first rattler out there.

One of the three tracks is a smaller old-dudes ("vets") track without the need for high speed 80'-100' air, and it's suitable even for the old XL200 4-stroker (shown above) to have fun. And I can drive that ol' reliable dog out there in 20 minutes without having to load up the truck. LOL! Some fire-roads and shit nearby to explore too.

Too much FUN!
Old 5 May 2017, 21:18
Not bright, but energetic

YZ250 smoker and KX250F. Poor four stroke is feeling neglected, because the YZ is insanely fun. If I ride a weekend I spend day one on the YZ and day two on the KXF, since I'm pretty sore by day two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No_Stickers.jpg (63.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg YZ250 Clean 1200.jpg (55.7 KB, 148 views)
Old 6 May 2017, 00:36
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post
YZ250 smoker and KX250F. Poor four stroke is feeling neglected, because the YZ is insanely fun. If I ride a weekend I spend day one on the YZ and day two on the KXF, since I'm pretty sore by day two.
Exactly, a guy needs both. A torqey 2-stroke screamer to fly, and a reliable ol' 4-stroke to explore hidden places off the beaten path with.

Small homemade 1/4" thick acrylic windscreen & FirstAid kit

This and a strong tailwind, I can just push 70mph with her.

Last edited by Tycon; 6 May 2017 at 00:51.
Old 1 June 2017, 09:37
Authorized Personnel

And found another:

1986 CR250R. I was 14 when this bike came out. I, of course, couldn't afford one (all I could afford was a $75 Kawasaki 90 I bought at a flea market after cutting grass all summer) and have wanted one ever since. Honda dominated Supercross with the CR - great handling, amazing forks, outstanding engine.

Finally found one that needed a little bit of love, so been re-working plastics and whatnot on it, cleaning it up, etc. Finished yesterday evening.
Attached Images
File Type: png CR250R.png (1.38 MB, 126 views)
Old 1 June 2017, 13:32
Confirmed User

Not anymore but loved it when I did. I had never ridden a dirt bike or motorcycle a day in my life but some how ended up at the Marine Corps Combat Motorcycle Scout Course on Camp Pendleton.

Day one was intro to the course and the bike, they all kind of laughed with a confused look as to why I was at the course with "0" experience. I said I was pretty athletic and picked things up quickly, they were all like "haha OK". Day two was the base riding exam so we could ride on the base roads when needed for fuel and chow breaks. I barely passed and off into the dirt, sand, water, hills and trails we went.

That was the funnest 6 weeks I ever had in the USMC, riding (at the time) the KLR250 except when I ate it hard on a trail and had to get stitches in my finger. I passed the course and have been riding at least road bikes ever since which was in 1990. I have been wanting to get a dirt bike ever since that course because I had a blast.
Old 1 June 2017, 14:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
And found another:

1986 CR250R. I was 14 when this bike came out. I, of course, couldn't afford one (all I could afford was a $75 Kawasaki 90 I bought at a flea market after cutting grass all summer) and have wanted one ever since. Honda dominated Supercross with the CR - great handling, amazing forks, outstanding engine.

Finally found one that needed a little bit of love, so been re-working plastics and whatnot on it, cleaning it up, etc. Finished yesterday evening.
86 had the drum rear like yours then 87 if my memory is correct went to disk. I had a 87 cr 500 that I loved
Old 1 June 2017, 15:00
Voodoo guru

I started riding at roughly age 6. My dad got me one of those "pull start" jobs from Sears, which living in rural Pennsylvania with 10 acres was awesome. Then we stepped it up to an XR75 (I think)... Then to a CR 80 for a time. Then a CR 125 back in the days with Ricky Johnson and Rich Ward were kicking each others asses in MX. Then for some reason, went to the dark side and got an RM 125.

Left for Basic at Benning. But eventually got back onto a bike with a YZ 250. Fell into the crotch rocket phase at NTC/Ft. Irwin, and got Kawi 750. Been street biker since.

However... Now... I really want to get back into the dirt, but I have no clue where to start. A 4 stroke seems like a good place to start nowadays, no?

6', 210 about right for a 250? The Yamaha 450's look really sweet...

Thoughts oh sages?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 1 June 2017, 15:28
Holy Diver

^^^^^^^^

I love riding and working on 2 strokes but the power delivery on my 450F is sooooo much easier than my 2 stroke to manage, especially because I do not need to be running up and down through the gears so much. I can come out of a corner in third gear riding a wheelie on that 450F. I am now too old and lazy to want to deal with a 2 stroke.

ETA: I do think 450Fs are amazing but I loved my old 250F as well, more than enough power for someone under 220 IMHO. I'm now too fat for a 250F...
Old 1 June 2017, 16:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
^^^^^^^^

I love riding and working on 2 strokes but the power delivery on my 450F is sooooo much easier than my 2 stroke to manage, especially because I do not need to be running up and down through the gears so much. I can come out of a corner in third gear riding a wheelie on that 450F. I am now too old and lazy to want to deal with a 2 stroke.

ETA: I do think 450Fs are amazing but I loved my old 250F as well, more than enough power for someone under 220 IMHO. I'm now too fat for a 250F...
4-strokes are Gay and for girls.

I still could never get used to the power brake effect of a big 4-stroke, roll off the throttle and you're slowing. Roll off in a 2-stroke and you stop when you hit your brakes...

Plus they're easy to work on.

Valves are for toilets.
Old 1 June 2017, 17:36
Voodoo guru

Quote:

I still could never get used to the power brake effect of a big 4-stroke, roll off the throttle and you're slowing. Roll off in a 2-stroke and you stop when you hit your brakes...

Plus they're easy to work on.

Valves are for toilets.
Dayum...
Triggered...

I do like the notion of engine braking on a 4. It may be the only skill carry over from crotch rockets.

You jerks have caused me to waste an afternoon researching the issue; and I have found that the KTM 250 Freeride XC fits the bill quite nicely. The grunt down low of a 4 stroke, and the tweaky top end of a 2.

I do like the notion of a 450 4 stroke though...

I'm not even going to get started on the gayness of a scooter...

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 1 June 2017, 18:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Dayum...
Triggered...

I do like the notion of engine braking on a 4. It may be the only skill carry over from crotch rockets.

You jerks have caused me to waste an afternoon researching the issue; and I have found that the KTM 250 Freeride XC fits the bill quite nicely. The grunt down low of a 4 stroke, and the tweaky top end of a 2.

I do like the notion of a 450 4 stroke though...

I'm not even going to get started on the gayness of a scooter...
I would look into either the KTM or Husqvarna 300. They're perfect for trail riding, or off road racing, and they don't need many mods; they're great bikes straight out of the crate. My 70 year old dad swears by his 2013 KTM 300EXC.

KidA, that is a damn nice score. The '86 CR250 is a phenomenal bike. What kind of shape was it in when you bought it?
Old 1 June 2017, 20:34
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet65 View Post
I had a 87 cr 500 that I loved.
This^ This! This.

Around 60+/- horsepower of pure screaming torque.

CR450F = Dr Jekyll
CR500 = Mr. Hyde

Nothing smells as good as fresh coffee and 2stroke exhaust on a cold morning at the track. That alone gives the 2stroke the edge. LOL! And that banshee-like scream.

Nice score, and nice work (above) KidA. SWEET!

Last edited by Tycon; 1 June 2017 at 20:43.
Old 2 June 2017, 10:54
Holy Diver

Quote:
As a kid, I remember tearing by 4-stroke air cooled pieces of trash on my KX-80. Those days are long gone.

I trail ride with a buddy who is stuck on his '98 YZ250 and he just cannot hang when a lot of tight maneuvering is required. He's too busy breaking and shifting.

Both my kids learned on 2-strokes though, much better for young riders especially when you are making them do their own maintenance.
Old 13 June 2017, 22:21
Been There Done That

When I turned 50 went to Scotland with the family and upon return rode from the Canadian Idaho border to Nogalas Az on a Baja Built 650 Honda made a good portion of the trip on dirt. Best ride I've ever done.
Old 14 June 2017, 00:25
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Quote:
..Then a CR 125 back in the days with Ricky Johnson and Rich Ward were kicking each others asses...

Jeff Ward and RJ are still very competitive- especially when they race vet (not mil.) class MX against each other.

Rick is also working with spec ops types on dirtbiking skills last I heard.
Old 6 February 2018, 16:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Then a CR 125 back in the days with Ricky Johnson and Rich Ward were kicking each others asses in MX. Then for some reason, went to the dark side and got an RM 125.
I stayed Team Red.

Just picked up an original 1985 CR125. Only had to make a 14 hour round trip in one day to get it. Non stock is the removal of the ATAC system and fitment of a period DG chamber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1985 CR.jpg (56.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 6 February 2018, 16:42
A/1/75

Yep I still ride, but not race any more.
I used to race the Virginia Hare Scramble series, lots of fun but tired of traveling.

I still have my YZ250F set up for Woods racing.

Charlie
Old 13 March 2018, 19:39
Authorized Personnel

Though a dual-spot, it's close enough. I picked up a '17 Africa Twin and it's schweet. I didn't feel it necessitated it's own new thread.

Our new posting rules