SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 May 2017, 14:29
Authorized Personnel

Could easily feed two but, I'll Chow em both down with a few Stellas. On the grill wrapped in foil with butter, pepper, salt and fresh lemon for 10 mins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 30 May 2017, 14:35

Those slug-gos are freaking awesome and I've caught a bunch of big bass when I was growing up on them. Hula poppers and live bait (grasshoppers, crawfish) are great too.

When I was a kid I got suckered by the "banjo minnow" ads and picked up some. Didn't catch shit on those and was pissed. Maybe those damn bass got used to a live grasshopper kicking on the surface and were spoiled.

And don't even get me started on those fucking perch and crappie nibbling my bait off the bass-sized hook and leaving me with nothing. I eventually had to go and clean out the bigger perch by getting a tiny hook and catching a ton and throwing them up on the bank to die. Those bastards get seriously invasive.
Old 30 May 2017, 14:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Those slug-gos are freaking awesome and I've caught a bunch of big bass when I was growing up on them. Hula poppers and live bait (grasshoppers, crawfish) are great too.

When I was a kid I got suckered by the "banjo minnow" ads and picked up some. Didn't catch shit on those and was pissed. Maybe those damn bass got used to a live grasshopper kicking on the surface and were spoiled.

And don't even get me started on those fucking perch and crappie nibbling my bait off the bass-sized hook and leaving me with nothing. I eventually had to go and clean out the bigger perch by getting a tiny hook and catching a ton and throwing them up on the bank to die. Those bastards get seriously invasive.
I'm with you on everything you said DD. You just went old school there with the Hula-popper reference. I believe that old standby has been around as early as the 20's. I use it and a Jitterbug frequently when there's a lot of cover but less surface weeds.
Just retrieve slowly and then pause. Sometimes for 10-15 sec. Crazy to see a big bucketmouth do a barrel roll in the sky with this big bright lure in its mouth. Smalles can't resist either. Scene goes from serene to chaotic in a flash.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady1 View Post
believe that old standby has been around as early as the 20's. I use it and a Jitterbug frequently when there's a lot of cover but less surface weeds.
Damn, I had no idea those had been around for that long. Those bass used to hit that damn hula popper so hard it would sometimes look like a Great White 'breaching' when they'd get a seal.

I used to have a jitterbug but I lost them so many times due to weeds that I finally just gave up using them. I tried to use the weed guards on the hooks, but that ended up just not allowing me to set the hook and the fish would throw it easily.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:20
Just A "Less Than"

Quote:
Damn, I had no idea those had been around for that long. Those bass used to hit that damn hula popper so hard it would sometimes look like a Great White 'breaching' when they'd get a seal.

I used to have a jitterbug but I lost them so many times due to weeds that I finally just gave up using them. I tried to use the weed guards on the hooks, but that ended up just not allowing me to set the hook and the fish would throw it easily.
Have you ever tried cutting the "front" hook of the treble hooks to make it weedless? It works pretty good on those types of lures.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Have you ever tried cutting the "front" hook of the treble hooks to make it weedless? It works pretty good on those types of lures.
Front hooks? You mean the barb?
Old 30 May 2017, 15:27
Just A "Less Than"

Quote:
Front hooks? You mean the barb?
The forward facing hook of the three. I answered more by PM.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:31

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 30 May 2017, 17:34
Been There Done That

Quote:

I fish the New River. The 45 minutes before dusk you can slay smallmouth with a jitterbug.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 May 2017, 20:28
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I fish the New River. The 45 minutes before dusk you can slay smallmouth with a jitterbug.
Go even older school and break out the crazy crawler!
Old 30 May 2017, 20:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Go even older school and break out the crazy crawler!
Might just be the most popular bass lure of all time. From Heddon. Fred Arbogast's main competitor at the time. Good call man. One of those hidden away in an old tackle box is worth about $800.00
Old 30 May 2017, 21:02
In From The East

Quote:
Might just be the most popular bass lure of all time. From Heddon. Fred Arbogast's main competitor at the time. Good call man. One of those hidden away in an old tackle box is worth about $800.00
I still use them!

http://www.heddonlures.com/product/crazy-crawler-3/
Old 30 May 2017, 21:04
Just A "Less Than"

Quote:
My dad collected those and Lucky 13's. He had some "old" Lucky 13's that were passed down to him that had been hit on so many times there were chunks of them missing. They were always good for some great topwater action when the bass were hitting.
Old 30 May 2017, 21:31
Authorized Personnel

I use the Heddon Torpedo and walk the dog over the weed beds. Always a good morning if it is calm out.

I have a bunch of jitterbugs, hula poppers and a couple of the big old Bass Oreno's. I love spending a morning out on the private lake near here.
Old 30 May 2017, 22:27
Confirmed User

All this lure talk brings back memories.....Any of the 'old timers' here remember the Herter's Catalog? Man we couldn't wait to read up on the new lure additions each year when we were kids living up in the Finger Lakes....the 'Daredevil', the 'Muddler Minnow', the 'Lucky Seven' collection....good times.

That catalog gave us the idea to get crumpled up egg shells and throw them in the water at the end of our dock to attract fish. It worked! Bass, Perch, Sunny's would all come in.

We used to fish the Seneca and Cayuga Lakes...they're like 800 ft deep...big Lake Trout there, used to troll up and down with a wire line.

https://www.amazon.com/1965-Herters-...erters+catalog

Great thread!

Last edited by 19MIKE; 30 May 2017 at 22:32.
Old 31 May 2017, 00:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I use the Heddon Torpedo and walk the dog over the weed beds. Always a good morning if it is calm out.
Ha ha ! Walkin the dog brother. Luv it. I walk a 4.5" Zara Spook for everything from large and smallmouth to stripers and blues.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:06
In From The East

Talking about top water, the B2 buzz bait is one of my favorites. Makes a ton of noise and it's easy to keep on the surface. I have had explosive action with this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (111.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 3 June 2017, 20:21
Been There Done That

Not a topwater but when I was a kid I would walk the banks and collect Hellbenders. The last tournament I fished at Guntersville I pulled one out of a tackle storage and the young guy ask if they even sell those things anymore? I'm not sure but that one got me three or four bass over four pounds.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 4 June 2017, 11:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegnr View Post
Not a topwater but when I was a kid I would walk the banks and collect Hellbenders. The last tournament I fished at Guntersville I pulled one out of a tackle storage and the young guy ask if they even sell those things anymore? I'm not sure but that one got me three or four bass over four pounds.
Great deep diver. I use to walk the perimeter of the lakes I was ice fishing on with my pole saw and collect many lures lost to bank fishermen. Never found a really old lure. Probably cause now there 80 ft. up in what was an immature oak or maple.
Dang ! All this fish talk. I'm going out before the T storms hit me here in CT.
Old 7 June 2017, 19:05
The atomic zit

Vicarious fishing report from the White River in AR...

I can re-size, I just can't rotate like a regular person...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170607_130612.jpg (54.2 KB, 65 views)

Our new posting rules