SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 7 November 2017, 18:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Good luck with that. I've had that conversation with Amazon before, usually the best they'll do is recommend you return the one you originally bought and then reorder the lower priced item.

Ain't that the truth. Went thru a 20 minute goat rope with Amazon using chat mode. Me, "you just dropped the price, please adjust". Amazon, 20 gazillion questions and then they send a link with their policies. Basically, Ki$$ our collective a$$es. Me, this is dumb. Amazon, we don't GIF and are just like the VA. You can KMA.

So, the book arrived late yesterday, I took it back to the UPS store this morning with the return label, and re-ordered the $22 version. I hope it works as well as the Acu-Jack I ordered from Hustler magazine.

S,
If I f'ed you out of any profits with the lower price version, PM me and I will make it up.
P
Old 7 November 2017, 19:06
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Ain't that the truth. Went thru a 20 minute goat rope with Amazon using chat mode. Me, "you just dropped the price, please adjust". Amazon, 20 gazillion questions and then they send a link with their policies. Basically, Ki$$ our collective a$$es. Me, this is dumb. Amazon, we don't GIF and are just like the VA. You can KMA.

So, the book arrived late yesterday, I took it back to the UPS store this morning with the return label, and re-ordered the $22 version. I hope it works as well as the Acu-Jack I ordered from Hustler magazine.

S,
If I f'ed you out of any profits with the lower price version, PM me and I will make it up.
P
I am glad that you are getting what you want at the right price! Do not worry about me, brother Phil. This was never about money for me.

Thank you for buying it and thank you for reading it!
Old 7 November 2017, 19:14
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I bought the Kindle version on Friday and finished it last night. In hindsight, I would have preferred the paperback because of the ease of switching between texts and pics while reading.
And a lesson learned for me. I will have to build forthcoming books in the Kindle apps because they enable readers to switch up fonts and type sizes on the fly.

I wrote this book in iBooks Author because Apple software runs well on Apple hardware and it all talks together. I could not import the file into the Kindle authoring software, however. I had to export a .pdf and then import a .pdf into Kindle.

That made each page like a pic, like a .jpg, and text capabilities were lost. It came out legible, which was a relief, but some functionality was lost.

I prefer to read on an iPad as I can just spread my fingers when I need a larger type size. But we all use our iDevices differently.

Electronic publishing is its own little specialty. I am not an electronic publisher. I stumbled through the whole process, and I am happy that I was able to make it in time for the anniversary on the 25th.

Thank you for reading!
Old 7 November 2017, 19:19
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Magician, I ordered a real book from Amazon, I hope you aren't getting screwed by said publisher.

I commend you on getting this done (so far), it has to be both painful and healing to take on this project.
I will be ok, no worries.

This was painful as hell. Therapeutic? I wonder.

We all have to carry our own rucksacks in this life. Sometimes we can carry some weight for a family member, or a friend. But mostly we all have to carry our own rucks.

It has been such an honor to live this life with the friends that I have had.

Thank you for buying that book! I hope that you like it!
Old 8 November 2017, 09:51
Freelancer

I bought a hard copy and can't wait to read it. I'll try to get SOF to plug it or print a review of it. With your permission?
Old 8 November 2017, 17:37
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I bought a hard copy and can't wait to read it. I'll try to get SOF to plug it or print a review of it. With your permission?
Please do! I would be deeply in your debt!

ETA: Thank you for buying the book! I hope that you like it. :)
Old 8 November 2017, 17:47
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
And a lesson learned for me. I will have to build forthcoming books in the Kindle apps because they enable readers to switch up fonts and type sizes on the fly.

I wrote this book in iBooks Author because Apple software runs well on Apple hardware and it all talks together. I could not import the file into the Kindle authoring software, however. I had to export a .pdf and then import a .pdf into Kindle.

That made each page like a pic, like a .jpg, and text capabilities were lost. It came out legible, which was a relief, but some functionality was lost.

And THAT's why the hard copy pages have the white borders... thought there was a reason for it; this is it.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 November 2017, 18:09
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
And THAT's why the hard copy pages have the white borders... thought there was a reason for it; this is it.
Correctamundo. I fought with the Kindle publishing software and I could not get that border to blend. I even told the software to bleed all the way to the edge of the page. No dice.

I was lucky to stumble my way into getting Kindle to accept the .pdf. If I had to rekey and reformat every page .... I would still be doing it instead of writing these words.

I am going to experiment with my pedophilia book. I am wondering if the layout app can compress and integrate videos, as there are some chapters that are heavy in video. This will obviously only work for eBooks. Physical books may never be able to show videos.

I think that I am going to keep the Tales of the Rangers series in the current format, so they match, like a matched set. I already have book 2 mocked up. I am just polishing now. Book 3 is 75% complete. Starting over to put them in a Kindle format would be a hell of a lot of work.

I may do a separate series with no photos so I can reduce the book size to 6x9, which will also reduce the cost considerably. That series I will do in Kindle format, so readers can switch up font sizes on the fly.

Current price on my book is $22.10. Amazon keeps fiddling with the price like an algorithm somewhere is stuck and erroring out, or someone is trying to keep the book showing up in some automated system somewhere.

I wish that would happen.
Old 8 November 2017, 19:17
Old Scroll

About halfway through. Sweet read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171108_180631.jpg (39.1 KB, 191 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 November 2017, 21:16
Been There Done That

Artfully arranged photo of period memorabilia. Nice. Really nice.

Especially the 90mm flechettes.
Old 8 November 2017, 23:15
Been There Done That

Finished the second half of the book on the soft cover. Fast read and well put together Doc. Thank you very much for writing this story. I love pictures in books and they were timeless to me. Surprised to find many familiar names and faces of rangers that I had the privilege to worked along side with during my days in the Regiment. Not surprised to see old Ralphie Borja picture in your book. I swear that this man always find himself in someone’s book. There was even a pic of him during OJC while he was in Walter Reed with President Bush Sr. receiving his Purple Heart. To this day he still have to explain to everyone how he fragged himself and his squad while clearing the Commandancia, LOL. Thanks goodness they were all minor frag wounds and everyone were in good spirits and still make jokes about it. He was my SL and PSG during his time at 3D Batt. I swear there were always an “islander” cookouts/parties at his place during our time offs. Standing by for your second book. RLTW!
Old 9 November 2017, 05:21
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
Artfully arranged photo of period memorabilia. Nice. Really nice.

Especially the 90mm flechettes.
I requisitioned it as my FB cover pic. Just as brother Czar intended. Thank you Ranger brother!
Old 9 November 2017, 05:22
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai_Ranger View Post
Finished the second half of the book on the soft cover. Fast read and well put together Doc. Thank you very much for writing this story. I love pictures in books and they were timeless to me. Surprised to find many familiar names and faces of rangers that I had the privilege to worked along side with during my days in the Regiment. Not surprised to see old Ralphie Borja picture in your book. I swear that this man always find himself in someone’s book. There was even a pic of him during OJC while he was in Walter Reed with President Bush Sr. receiving his Purple Heart. To this day he still have to explain to everyone how he fragged himself and his squad while clearing the Commandancia, LOL. Thanks goodness they were all minor frag wounds and everyone were in good spirits and still make jokes about it. He was my SL and PSG during his time at 3D Batt. I swear there were always an “islander” cookouts/parties at his place during our time offs. Standing by for your second book. RLTW!
Thank you for your kind comments. If you liked this one, you will like book 3 bigtime.
Old 9 November 2017, 05:25
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Thank you, Czar. I tried to keep it lean with minimal descriptions. I know that when I skip entire blocks of text that that is not material that I should include.

I actually had an older writer give me “advice,” telling me to include more descriptive text. I deliberately omitted that kind of fat. No regrets.
Old 9 November 2017, 09:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
I loved that picture, then began to daydream. CSM L-G comes around the corner and says, "Ranger Buddy, your beret needs an oil change" and then all together we drop.
Old 9 November 2017, 11:32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai_Ranger View Post

I saw Borja at SOFIC this year and probably spent an hour with him talking about the old days. He is living in Utah now in the middle of a Mormon neighborhood. I can't remember which company he is working for these days but they make boots.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 November 2017, 12:37
Been There Done That

Sharky, I think Ralph works for Matterhorn. He's some big shot executive there. He was up here at JBLM last year pitching his product to 1st SFG. We had a mini OJC reunion while he was up here. Good times. We still chat every once in awhile. His wife and I are good friend since her and I can speak our native language in front of him to piss him off.
Old 9 November 2017, 18:26
Been There Done That

I couldn't put it down last night. I read it in one sitting, staying up FAR too late in order to finish it. I'll likely read it several more times over the next few years.

I have to say-- one of the more interesting things for me was the presentation of alternative recollections of other Rangers. It illustrated that memory is fragile and varies (sometimes dramatically) between two guys who shared an experience.

I can enthusiastically recommend the book. I'd loan it out... but I don't want to lose it.
Old 10 November 2017, 00:25
Confirmed User

Magician,

Your original blog is something I followed and thought the raw, emotionally honest, and soulful writing was unique; it definitely continues to have an authentic tribal tone - the tribe being your brothers in arms.

I got the Amazon e-book and it flows (as you state in the dream state) in a way that's ancient when stories were passed down verbally between peers over generations creating a thread of memories, honoring the culture and its people.

Thank you for sharing...

Edit: Just put in an order for the paperback.. still priced @$21.79

Last edited by smp52; 10 November 2017 at 00:32. Reason: Edits
Old 10 November 2017, 10:45
Newbie shooter

Bought the real version.

Does your contract with Amazon specify what happens to your cut in the event of a price drop?

I suspect the initial price is because there are fixed and variable costs with printing a book. It costs much more to print a few copies of a book than it does a lot of copies (per unit).

Amazon probably priced your book very high when they didn't know if it would sell at all to cover their fixed costs associated with a small print run. Now that sales have picked up and the fixed costs are covered they are dropping the price to take advantage of economic scale and to encourage more sales.

I'll ping the new York Jewish side of the family and let them know. Maybe we can get a book review in the times or something like that and push you into the best sellers list.

Always enjoy our conversations,

Our new posting rules