SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 20 December 2017, 14:07
Confirmed User

Using A Mobile Hotspot For Home Internet

I am just wondering if anybody here uses a mobile hotspot for home internet? I currently have DSL through Frontier. My speeds are usually about 25 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up. (To their credit, though, the speeds seem pretty consistent throughout the day and night.) I can't get cable in my area and I don't see satellite internet as a viable alternative for me.

I did buy an AT&T hotspot earlier this year and I got in on the $20.00 per month unlimited data deal. I just checked and it is 52 Mbps down and 7 Mbps up.

On it face, it seems like a no-brainer to switch. However, in the evening, it seems to slow down quite a bit and is slower than my DSL speed!

Anyway, for you techno-geeks here, would it be worthwhile to look at one of the other mobile carriers for home internet? The pessimist in me thinks that Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are likely to all suffer from the same slow down in the evening.
Old 20 December 2017, 14:10
Administrator

I was using a T-Mobile phone for a while but once Excede came out with an unlimited data plan I went back to that. Works okay so far. No speed issues with streaming in SD.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 20 December 2017, 14:16
Did...did I do that?

We use/used a school-provided TMobile hotspot for an online charter school down here. Our only other option where we were was satellite internet, and that was a no-go with 4 kids in the school at the time.

We never saw any evening slow-downs, but we were in a fairly rural area, so don't have the population density that might cause that. We ran, IIRC, in the upper 40s for download speed. Lots of videos watched, both for school and otherwise. I don't think they ever tried online gaming though.
Old 20 December 2017, 14:19
Authorized Personnel

Not a technogeek, but this is what we have to do right now for internet. We don't have fiber or cable in our neighborhood. We had satellite internet (Wild Blue) for a while, but it was much more expensive. Also, they had a cap on gigs every month and when you got to 80% of your cap, they slowed down the throughput to a point where it was unusable.

We have a Sprint air card, as they're the only company that provides reliable service in my area. For email, SOCNET, type-stuff, it's not bad. For streaming video it's hit or miss. For video games, forget it.
Old 27 December 2017, 08:43
BTDT

FYI - Comcast will subsidize bringing Cable to you. Now, it depends on how far away the last cable customer is with regards to how much it will cost you. I had to have them run an overhead line about a 1/4 mile, and underground bore from the pole to my yard (about 100 feet) to install the "Tap" (tall square green box - usually for a whole neighborhood - you get your own ). Cost me about $1500 and Comcast absorbed about $2K. If you have neighbors, everyone can chip in. I'd call them to see what it will cost at least.
Old 27 December 2017, 10:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
FYI - Comcast will subsidize bringing Cable to you. Now, it depends on how far away the last cable customer is with regards to how much it will cost you. I had to have them run an overhead line about a 1/4 mile, and underground bore from the pole to my yard (about 100 feet) to install the "Tap" (tall square green box - usually for a whole neighborhood - you get your own ). Cost me about $1500 and Comcast absorbed about $2K. If you have neighbors, everyone can chip in. I'd call them to see what it will cost at least.
Good information. Verizon just ran a fiber optic FIOS line less than a quarter mile from us but refused to loop us in. We even offered to pay their costs for the underground install or to have the fiber installed ourselves. Verizon refused. The only reason they ran it so close to us was the neighborhood next to us that they ran it to is mostly populated by lawyers and a few doctors. The lawyers threatened to band together and sue Verizon, so Verizon caved. I don't have any lawyers in my neighborhood.

Of course, I knew this when I bought the land and built a house there, so I can't bitch too much. The one downside to the rule that the smallest plot of land can't be under ten acres is that there aren't nearly as many potential customers. But, it's worth it to have some peace and quiet.

-ZZ Top
Old 27 December 2017, 11:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Several neighbors looked into this years ago, but because the nearest cable line (at the time) as 3-4 miles away, Comcast wanted my neighborhood to pay them like $30,000 to run the lines. It worked out to almost $2,000 per household, and that's if everyone paid. When we asked Comcast about that (non-payers), they said once the line was run, they would hook up the remaining neighbors at no extra cost. So of course no one, including me, was interested. Several years later, they are now running cable in our neighborhood; I expect we'll have cable by the summer based on how slow they're installing the equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Of course, I knew this when I bought the land and built a house there, so I can't bitch too much. The one downside to the rule that the smallest plot of land can't be under ten acres is that there aren't nearly as many potential customers. But, it's worth it to have some peace and quiet.
We're zoned AG2, so except for the one stable and two farms grandfathered in, all of our lots are between 3-5 acres. Nice & quiet, but the cable & fiber companies had little immediate interest in wiring us into the grid.
Old 27 December 2017, 15:59
The Sagacious One

I have struggled for 12 years trying to find reliable and adequately fast Internet service. For the last 3 years, I paid over $1200 a month for Internet access via a T1 (Slow but no data limitations), Mobile provider (Blinding quick, but uber expensive) amd Gen 4 Satellite (Only good if you use it in one computer).

I had to do something as my old reliable but slow T1 kept crapping out, the satellite was for shit and the cell data was more than my mortgage. I decided to cancel the sat and got a great deal of push back. The agent said to wait for Hughesnet Gen 5, that it fixed all of the other issues about which I complained.

I have had the Gen 5 Satellite system that comes with a modem and built in router (Wireless and Ethernet) and costs about $275/mo for 150 GB. Its not perfect and is no good for gaming, but suits my purposes just fine. Video conferencing, Youtube etc are all pretty good. If it slows down, you need to unplug the route from the power source and reboot it to dump the cache. I now have a reasonable mobile phone bill and cancelled the ATT T1, saving overall between $500 and $700 a month.

Check it out.

NOTE: I have a business account, so you may not see the same data availability in retail offerings.
Old 28 December 2017, 06:59
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Good information. Verizon just ran a fiber optic FIOS line less than a quarter mile from us but refused to loop us in. We even offered to pay their costs for the underground install or to have the fiber installed ourselves. Verizon refused. The only reason they ran it so close to us was the neighborhood next to us that they ran it to is mostly populated by lawyers and a few doctors. The lawyers threatened to band together and sue Verizon, so Verizon caved. I don't have any lawyers in my neighborhood.

Got any friends in that lawyerhood? I've run Cat5e to a neighbor a loooooong way over the distance standard and it worked fine. You could also hit an AP with a Yagi. You just need a buddy and pay half
Old 28 December 2017, 10:18
Administrator

Quote:
Got any friends in that lawyerhood? I've run Cat5e to a neighbor a loooooong way over the distance standard and it worked fine. You could also hit an AP with a Yagi. You just need a buddy and pay half
There is a provider that does the microwave shots from a nearby mountain top but unfortunately due to the 80ft white oaks I am surrounded by I don't have line of sight to the tower. But yeah, already thought of doing my own Microwave shot as well. Was looking at some Ubiquity gear to do it but would have to put up an 80ft mast to get a link.

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules