Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 9 January 2018, 14:37
Navigating

iPhone 8 Plus

Let me first say Iíve looked and searched the Apple thread using ďvirusĒ and ďpop-upsĒ without any luck. My new iPhone has been giving me issues. When Iím on websites (regardless of internet app/browser) an Amazon gift card ad pops up. I can not go back, I canít swipe it back, I canít do anything at all to interact with the browser.

Iíve looked up this on Appleís support page. Iíve followed their directions for pop-up blockers. Iíve cleared out my history and cookies 100 times, still nothing works. Iíve read about wiping my phone and using my last backup. The issue with that is backing up my phone with the same virus or whatever nonsense is on my phone. Anyone with knowledge on how to fix this?
Old 9 January 2018, 15:19
In Vino Veritas

I got this but on my desktop, it was a pain in the ass to get rid of. No idea how to do it on a phone because I had to dig into the settings pretty deep to get rid of it. Maybe a complete wipe?
Old 9 January 2018, 15:31
Glorified Babysitter

I have had this issue before as well. I cleared all search history and cookies. I also have the following settings enabled for Safari:

Prevent Cross-Site Tracking
Ask Websites Not To Track me
Fraudulent Website Warning

After that, I restored from a previously saved backup on my Mac.

This cured the problem for me. Hopefully it can help you out.
Old 9 January 2018, 16:01
Confirmed User

From what I understand, from some of the information I have read, some individuals have replaced the battery, if you used a different carrier, take the chip out of the back an replace it with one from the phone carrier you use.

Some times this works with just getting a new battery, for the up dates that was made by apple.

I know that you can change carriers just by replacing the chip in the back. that all I did
Old 9 January 2018, 18:54
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I got this but on my desktop, it was a pain in the ass to get rid of. No idea how to do it on a phone because I had to dig into the settings pretty deep to get rid of it. Maybe a complete wipe?
Thank you. Iím going to give Gatekeeperís advice a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gatekeeper View Post
I have had this issue before as well. I cleared all search history and cookies. I also have the following settings enabled for Safari:

Prevent Cross-Site Tracking
Ask Websites Not To Track me
Fraudulent Website Warning

After that, I restored from a previously saved backup on my Mac.

This cured the problem for me. Hopefully it can help you out.
Iím going to give that a shot. I wonít be able to do a backup from a Mac though. Hoping the settings alone will help. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
From what I understand, from some of the information I have read, some individuals have replaced the battery, if you used a different carrier, take the chip out of the back an replace it with one from the phone carrier you use.

Some times this works with just getting a new battery, for the up dates that was made by apple.

I know that you can change carriers just by replacing the chip in the back. that all I did
Just getting a new battery might help? Ok, if the settings by Gatekeeper donít work Iíll move on to that. Thank you!
Old 9 January 2018, 18:57
Navigating

My settings reflect the same as yours, Gatekeeper. I’ll have to try something else. New battery maybe.

Our new posting rules