Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 21 January 2018, 10:04
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
How did they fit in the LGBTQ angle?
It's Afghanistan. Hollywood probably didn't want to mention the local version of gayness.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 21 January 2018, 10:22
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Can anybody recommend a good book about this Op? I find it very interesting, but the movie trailer looked a little too hollywooded up for me.
Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan

Legion of Brothers
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 21 January 2018, 10:27
Shakin' the bush Boss

Thanks Guy.
Old 21 January 2018, 11:04
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Thanks Guy.
Watch the documentary of Legion Of Brothers first, they talk about the horses...

"These horses were cross-bred with wolves they were so mean."
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 21 January 2018, 14:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
How did they fit in the LGBTQ angle? You can't have a movie these days without it.
That's why it had Rob Riggle...
Old 21 January 2018, 15:41
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
How did they fit in the LGBTQ angle? You can't have a movie these days without it.

Can anybody recommend a good book about this Op? I find it very interesting, but the movie trailer looked a little too hollywooded up for me.
In the actual history, there was a 5th Group battalion commander that brought the LGBTQ thing along in his rucksack.

I highly recommend the book The Only Thing Worth Dying For, by Eric Blehm. Focuses on ODA 574 throughout the initial push.
Old 21 January 2018, 15:47
Shakin' the bush Boss

Good deal, between that and Guy's recommendations it should give me a good picture of what actually went down. I never got over till 03 when things had calmed down a bit.
Old 22 January 2018, 00:15
Confirmed User

his 10th movie
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6591687/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritatem Cognoscere View Post
Interesting that the military tech advisor is Navy SEAL Kevin Kent rather than someone from the SF side.
Old 22 January 2018, 03:28

Saw the movie earlier today. Just like another posted said, it was odd seeing Rob Riggle in a serious role.

Did Dostum have any tanks or technicals at all back in 2001?

They showed a photo of the real ODA at the end of the movie. It looks like it was all white. The movie ODA has one black member.

Who was the team sergeant in the movie? Did not see much of a role of the team sergeant.

The movie was okay.
Old 22 January 2018, 03:35

https://laprensasa.com/culture/micha...ant-12-strong/

Trained with Navy Seals.
Old 22 January 2018, 10:28
#AllLionsMatter

Red face LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loui_ludwig View Post
They showed a photo of the real ODA at the end of the movie. It looks like it was all white. The movie ODA has one black member.
The swim-test is a bitch right along with the cold environment.
Old 22 January 2018, 16:10
Confirmed User

the recommendations in that report in 1999 took a long time to get implemented

Barriers to Minority Participation in Special Operations Forces
Assesses minority representation and recruiting in special operations forces (SOF).
https://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1042.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The swim-test is a bitch right along with the cold environment.
Old 22 January 2018, 19:02
Looking for work...

Here is an IG post from a friend of mine (Green Beret) that had an interesting take...He's a pretty vocal dude, haha!

"This movie needed to be made. However, it didn’t need to be made like this. The director and producer of 12 Strong should be ashamed of their absolutely ridiculous, poorly written and directed mess of a film. The battle scenes were simply some of the worst ever filmed and nearly the entire character of the SFODA and how Green Berets relate to each other and do business (minus a few things) was missed. It was horrible, at times utterly illogical, building suspense only through ignorance of common sense and reality. Are we to believe Green Berets are so dumb? The only worse battle scenes I have seen were in the movie “Wind Talker.” How many Green Berets were technical advisors for the battle scenes or anything tactical? Your movie was a horrible missed opportunity to tell a great and true story of brave men."
Old 22 January 2018, 21:55
Been There Done That

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Whenever I listen to soldiers talk about movies they bitch about the horrible accuracy while forgetting that movies are made for entertainment and that you don't often see documentaries in theatres.

I'd rather the enemy watches stuff like the original Delta Force so they fear Chuck Norris and motorcycles with rockets than showing them the real magic. It's all entertainment to me.
Old 22 January 2018, 22:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Whenever I listen to soldiers talk about movies they bitch about the horrible accuracy while forgetting that movies are made for entertainment and that you don't often see documentaries in theatres.

I'd rather the enemy watches stuff like the original Delta Force so they fear Chuck Norris and motorcycles with rockets than showing them the real magic. It's all entertainment to me.
I saw it Saturday. It is a movie and I enjoyed it. Yes it is not a textbook example of how the team acts but it was entertaining and that is what I was there for.
Old 22 January 2018, 22:32
Swimming Upstream

It has been quite the big deal out here at Fort Bragg..which a special presentation and Q&A at the ASOM.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 22 January 2018, 23:30
The Sagacious One

I saw it, and I have read a lot about being on an ODA on the Internet. Most of the shit went over everyone's head. My kid and her Boy Friend went to see it with me. I was laughing at shit and they all looked at me like I was crazy. When the one dude says to the black guy 'If you start to tear up, I'm telling "Everyone". Nothing is scared.

The close combat scenes were necessary I guess to make it somewhat entertaining and it was about horse soldiers, so there you go. I kept pushing my helmet down when the nine lines were being called in. Only I wasn't wearing one. The straight overhead shots of the airstrikes were odd, but the oblique shots from the high ground were spot on.

The B-52 Stratofortress, Bringing the hate for 60 years.
Old 23 January 2018, 00:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loui_ludwig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPrensa Article
In this film, Michael Peña plays Latino Sergeant Sam Diller, one of those twelve elite soldiers.
I know you guys have Weapons Sergeants and First Sergeants, but – without violating OPSEC, obviously – what role does the Latino Sergeant play on a team?
Old 24 January 2018, 11:43
BTDT

In Seventh Group, all of them......well, not Team Leader.
Old 25 January 2018, 08:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
his 10th movie
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6591687/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr337
Navy Seals vs. Zombies (military tech advisor)

Our new posting rules