SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 31 May 2015, 18:33
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
Looks like the rate of fire was $30 to $45 dollars a minute. BUT is looks like a good time.
We found one of TFG's caches.

SOW was using a 30 round mag in that handgun.
Old 1 June 2015, 12:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Dave View Post
CDNN is having an Armalite blowout -- 16 and 20-inch AR-10s for just under a thousand.

Armalites can run hot and cold. I have two and am building a third. When they're running right they're hard to be beat -- but it might take a little polishing.

The AR-10T is one of the first rifles I was able to get a teenager and a couple of other shooters to get first-shot, clean-cold hits at 1,000-yards -- from a rifle coming out of a bag and set at zero.

They share the same DNA as KACs and LMTs as Karl Lewis at LMT did work or got advice from Reed Knight on his work.

PSA's Christmas special is a 7.62 M4-like carbine right at $700.
Just going through the thread. Some (many) years ago I traded a Steyr Scout straight across for an AR-10 Carbine with an ACOG. This one ran well and has run well ever since.
The hard part for is magazines. The original ones were converted M-14 mags with plastic followers and they work pretty well. Returning to the states between overseas tours I bought a bunch of ArmaLite made mags (with M14 followers WTF ?) and only ONE of them worked. The MagPuls won't fit into the ArmaLites mag well.
Still have yet to obtain as many mags as I'd like.
Old 1 June 2015, 13:11
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
All I saw were a bunch of stray rounds hitting the sand and a steel target blowing raspberries. There was the occasional "Ding" but not that often.

Just saying....
Well yeah, it was at best quite heinous.

Prior to that day, a lot of our pistol shooting had been transition drills at EMP style shooting. 15-7-3 on a full sized silhouette. Like I said it was humbling to double the distance, cut the target size in half, and get a kick in the nuts from the fundamentals. Good reminder that the basics are perishable and proper training needs to be ongoing and maintained.

With the long gun, there are a few that sound like missed rounds. That gun was dialed in with the first two rounds and had 20/20 rounds on target after that. The sound difference is from the steel target swinging a little. When it came back straight on there was a good solid twang or whack. When it was swinging at an angle a little it would deflect at an angle and from that distance you can hardly hear the scraping sound.

Anyway I know I suck. Gonna need to dial it back and spend the next few range sessions working on the fundamentals and getting back to the basics.

One good thing I took from the session was grabbing my M4 and sitting in a basic unsupported prone at the same spot I was using the 10x optic and milling my shots. Used the EOTech 1MOA dot and a basic hold over and had that target singing. Not bad for no magnification and at a distance most folks say pushes the limits of the M4 range.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 1 June 2015, 13:16
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
Looks like the rate of fire was $30 to $45 dollars a minute. BUT is looks like a good time.
Not that ammo. I've got a few ammo cans from years ago when I was buying 20rd boxes of ZQI 147gr 7.62 at 2/$10. Still only fired about $25 worth of older ammo the whole session.

Pretty impressed with that ZQI ammo, that's who made most of the ammo we fired that day and I stockpiled a long time ago. Even today that ammo seems to be easy to get for cheap and has outperformed Winchester White Box and some of the PMC ammo we fed them.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 3 June 2015, 22:57

Not sure if this is still relevant - but here goes.
Larue and LMT (KAC etc) most certainly are accurate and well worth their price, to save scratch you can build a precision rifle yourself for under $1500, without too much effort rivaling in accuracy and reliability:
IF you are comfortable building an AR15 you should have no issues building an AR308. Same rules apply - shop a bit and stick with quality parts.

Regarding weight - I built one and it came in at almost exactly 8.5 lbs, which is the same as the 'revolutionary/redesigned DPMS GII' if I am not mistaken?
This all with 'standard' parts:
RA select 18" barrel, Aero M5 receivers/LPK (Geissele trigger, RA headspaced BCG), Centurion CMR 13" rail, Magpul ACS stock w VLTOR A5/AR10RE.
As is, a civilized pleasant well-balanced, easy to handle rifle. Whats all the fuss about one thinks?

So then you hang all the shit on it to make it run - at distance - glass w QD, bipod w QD, 25 round magazine....turning it into a backbreaking bitch - adding 6 lbs, easy.

NOW I understand why 5.56 makes sense
Old 24 November 2015, 19:35
Confirmed User

Just a couple of days past a year since I first posted this. I'm in the process of closing the deal on a LWRC REPR with a 20" Barrel.

Now I'm open to suggestions on optics. I'm planning on use between 500-800 meters. I've been researching and of course there's the upper tier optic's, I've also looked at some of Vortex's stuff. I'm open to anything, I'd like to keep it under 2k.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 24 November 2015, 19:41
Shakin' the bush Boss

Leupold Mk4M3, and do not try to save money on your rings. Leupold or Badger.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:56
jump fiend

So there's been lots of discussion here about nicer AR10 platforms...any recommendations for the plinking $12-1500 range?
Armalite is off the table.
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:01
The Sagacious One

Look at the new POF. Its supposed to be the same size as the 5.56.
Old 22 February 2017, 21:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
So there's been lots of discussion here about nicer AR10 platforms...any recommendations for the plinking $12-1500 range?
I've been happy with my S&W M&P 10.
Old 22 February 2017, 22:16
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
What's wrong with the Armalites? I'm currently in the saving up stage with the next two purchases being a Glock G43 followed by either a decked out AK, AR10, or a Kel-Tec Sub2000.
Old 23 February 2017, 03:26
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnklipsch View Post
What's wrong with the Armalites? I'm currently in the saving up stage with the next two purchases being a Glock G43 followed by either a decked out AK, AR10, or a Kel-Tec Sub2000.
SilverBullet started a thread awhile ago about Armalite. They stopped selling to citizens and kept selling to police when AR's were banned. Great thread! So out of principle, even though I was scoping the Def 10 I'm on to other options.

TFG it looks pretty nice, the POF Renegade looks pretty nice.
Red I'm looking at the the M & P 10 and also the DPMS Oracle. For under $800 to start then I can get iron sights and spend money on ammo, and change little things as needed...
Old 23 February 2017, 10:22
Confirmed User

I've been looking at the Windham Arms .308, my local shop has one for $1149, they also have a DMPS for $649 but that has no forward assist, dust cover, or brass deflector not that they make a difference for the purpose the rifle will serve.
Old 23 February 2017, 19:58
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I've been looking at the Windham Arms .308, my local shop has one for $1149, they also have a DMPS for $649 but that has no forward assist, dust cover, or brass deflector not that they make a difference for the purpose the rifle will serve.
Which model is that Oracle? All the ones on gunbroker for about 750 have dust cover, forward assist, and brass deflector.
Old 24 February 2017, 12:35
Confirmed User

I went with a Wilson Combat RT very happy with it

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to polish a turd.
Old 24 February 2017, 13:03
Been There Done That

Just purchased Larue PredatOBR and couldn't be happier. Waited 3 months
Old 31 January 2018, 17:55
Been There Done That

So I had a Chinese M-14 for ever that I took to Fulton Armory to get updated and they wanted almost $2k so instead I sold it to them for $600. So now I'm thinking I'll take that plus $1k and get a decent AR-10, no long range more of a 300 - 500m gun with a small 5x red dot scope. Would a 16" barrel be enough or should 18" be the standard.

Right now looking at the Aero Precision M5E1
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/complet...ifles-308.html

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 31 January 2018, 18:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Would a 16" barrel be enough or should 18" be the standard.[/URL]
Dude go 18 for sure.

Look at all the issues Springfield had getting the SOCOM and SOCOM 2's accurate....increased the twist to 1:11 and they still aren't all that accurate, even at 100 meters.

I love my SOCOM 2, but it is a close-in purposed rifle for my needs.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 31 January 2018, 18:05
Bitter old man.

Troy also makes one that prices decent. Anyone shoot one?
Old 31 January 2018, 20:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Dude go 18 for sure
You know I was thinking 16 for the price and 18 because what if I want to throw a nice scope on it and try to make it a 500 to 800m rifle, that extra 2" might make a difference. Not like I haven't heard that before.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Our new posting rules