SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 May 2018, 16:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
Who lives or has hunted in the Panhandle of Idaho? I scored a Bull Elk Archery tag and I bought a whitetail buck tag OTC. I'm planning on hunting somewhere Coeur d'alene.
I'll be hunting archery Elk in the Panhandle, and you are still welcome to hunt with me if you want to.
Old 9 May 2018, 18:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Who lives or has hunted in the Panhandle of Idaho? I scored a Bull Elk Archery tag and I bought a whitetail buck tag OTC. I'm planning on hunting somewhere Coeur d'alene.
I'm south the panhandle or I'd help you out too. Yiu can get into some awesome stuff in the Upper Joe, but I'd take H60 up on his offer. He has ponies I believe!
Old 9 May 2018, 18:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Last picture is the buck Iím after this year. Missed him last year, misjudged distance went right under him. Praying I see him on camera soon..
That last picture is a great one. Definitely needs a quote. I'm thinking "Come at me bro" or "Coming back for more disappointment?"
Old 18 May 2018, 22:35
Confirmed User

Morels are finally showing up around here. About three weeks later than normal though.
Old 11 June 2018, 19:47
The Copenhagen Kid

H60 and I are set in stone for September Archery Elk. I've got a whitetail tag too!!!

Always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends.
Old 20 June 2018, 22:41
The Copenhagen Kid

My show Outdoor Acumen. Episode 4 is dropping Friday. I interview hunter and professional photog Sam Soholt. Some of you may know him from his school bus converted into a camper. Thanks for listening and please leave a review.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/146031/69...-2-drew-stokes

FB Profile_Outdoor Acumen2 (2).jpg

Always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends.
Old 21 June 2018, 00:46
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Gunner View Post
I'll be hunting archery Elk in the Panhandle, and you are still welcome to hunt with me if you want to.
I use to hunt up in that area Good Luck. There are some Big Bull Elks up there.
Old 21 June 2018, 01:44
Been There Done That

Fuck you Elk hunters.

My state just received about 300 Elk from Arizona. There haven't been any here since the 1880's.

So, managing 300. Creating new habit for them from reclaimed mining property. Plus continued support from the western states...Ill suppose they will have a marginal, sustainable breeding herd only in managed areas by the time I'm 130 y/o.

And it's absolutely the best wild game I've eaten.

So again....Fuck You and good hunting.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 21 June 2018, 10:02
Been There Done That

My state tried to re-introduce elk after they were wiped out around 1840.
Never mind the entire habitat is vastly different today vs. 1840.

Small herd drops about thirty calves each year. Each year the wolves eat most or all of the calves. (Wolves also re-introduced by the same folks who thought of the elk but obviously didn't make the connection)

Since the DNR has been disappointed by the failure of the small herd to grow, it was decided to import more elk to grow the herd. Although nobody asked the wolves, I am sure they would have voted in favor of that decision.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 21 June 2018, 13:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
My state just received about 300 Elk from Arizona.
I wonder how much that cost the taxpayer.
Old 21 June 2018, 13:38
Shakin' the bush Boss

Usually that kind of stuff comes out of revenue generated thru hunting license sales. Va has a similar program. Not taxpayer funding.
In WV they probably told the Arizona elk that oxy was cheaper in WV and they relocated on their own.
Old 21 June 2018, 13:51
Confirmed User

Wildlife management in most cases falls to the states. The majority of the funding for those kind of relocation projects comes license sakes and from excise taxes placed on hunting, fishing and shooting gear ( Pittman Robertson and Dingle Johnson, and yes Dingle Johnson is a real piece of legislature) and private funding from groups like RMEF who I would say has lead the charge on most of these reintroduction projects. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to the above though.
Old 21 June 2018, 14:17
Confirmed User

I gladly pay the fees for licenses and special stamps because I get to see first hand the good done with the money. Now if we can just get the Feds to open up an Atlantic Red Snapper season that'll be the shit.

Driving home the other evening I saw four - five young bucks munchin grass on the side of Butler Blvd just west of the intercoastal. I know that property and it is closed to the public
Old 21 June 2018, 14:52
Been There Done That

Here is a video of our 2017 elk hunt in NM. We have some landowner tags in unit 15 if anyone is interested in joining us.

https://youtu.be/CHcciGFRCz0
Old 21 June 2018, 17:55
Been There Done That

I will not be happy till I bow hunt elk again in the high country. North of Lefty just issued about 10 elk tags in it's first elk hunt. What a joke , I say of the issue. Wolves need to be eradicated from the upper midwest, IMHO, before the deer and elk populations can thrive.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
My show Outdoor Acumen. Episode 4 is dropping Friday. I interview hunter and professional photog Sam Soholt. Some of you may know him from his school bus converted into a camper. Thanks for listening and please leave a review.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/146031/69...-2-drew-stokes

Attachment 40119
I'll check some of those out now that I'm back in service. His bus is pretty awesome!
Old 22 June 2018, 12:14
Confirmed User

Slow part of the year for hunting, but I found a nice patch of morels a few weeks back. Ended up with a gallon dried out it. Huckleberry crop seems to be coming on strong and chanterelles and lobsters should start popping up in a month or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morel3.JPG (126.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 22 June 2018, 12:42
Been There Done That

Wow...That is a nice batch. I actually found some nice coral shrooms yesterday. You sir, are a God!
Old 22 June 2018, 13:03
Confirmed User

How do you like the corals? I find tons of them but have never been sure on eating them.
Old 23 June 2018, 05:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
How do you like the corals? I find tons of them but have never been sure on eating them.
I have eaten a ton of corals , mostly in hunting camp before the hunters get in . I enjoy anything that grows wild for the most part, cooked over a woodstove or campfire. I did not get in on the morels this year as my sister's farm sold and my 40 acre secret stash of shrooms went with it.

Our new posting rules