Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 28 December 2017, 12:36
Confirmed User

Does Your Agency Allow Your Armed Forces Insignia To Be Worn?

As posted above, if you are a cop type and are, or were, a member of the Armed Forces, can you wear anything related to your service on your police uniform? The reason I ask this is because I recently saw a police uniform of someone with a Parachutist Badge displayed. It turned out that they earned it in the United States Army and their police department allowed them to wear it on their police uniform.

In my agency, that is not permitted. In fact, I actually don't know of any agency that permits it around here. It is possible, however, that some agencies do permit it, but none of their members actually do that.

Anyway, let's hear it from you folks. Is it done in your area? Is it a good thing or a bad thing for civilian police agencies to do that?
Old 28 December 2017, 12:37
Authorized Personnel

We are authorized to wear our branch pin under the flag on our uniform.

The pins are issued by our agency.

Last edited by Agoge; 28 December 2017 at 12:46.
Old 28 December 2017, 12:43
Unemployed Stunt Double

I worked for two different agencies, neither allowed any modification to the uniform or insignia.
Old 28 December 2017, 14:02
Über Equus Asinus

Same situation as gavin..

I worked for 2 agencies as well.. neither allowed us to wear military earned badges/pins/insignia, etc..

Our agency EOD badge that the bomb techs wore was pretty similar in design to the US Army EOD badge, but it was "different" enough to tell the difference if you looked close enough.

Other than that, there was nothing we wore that even remotely resembled anything any branch of the US military wears.
Old 28 December 2017, 14:28
Confirmed User

Past agencies did not allow any modification, however, Georgia State Patrol and other agencies did allow a service oriented ribbon to be worn with their other issued ribbons. I am not a member of the GSP.
Old 28 December 2017, 15:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Roberts View Post
Georgia State Patrol and other agencies did allow a service oriented ribbon to be worn with their other issued ribbons.
Never heard of this practice, but this seems to be a low key and tasteful way of recognizing Service to the Nation in addition to the community.
Old 28 December 2017, 15:51
Been There Done That

Our agency did not allow it, but did allow it on Veterans Day. Any awards were the mini versions worn on the pocket flap. We did have the largest Veterans Day Parade west of the Mississippi supposedly which may have played into it.
Old 28 December 2017, 17:28
Important nobody

Ours did way back when the S.P. first started. There are old time pics of our guys wearing WW1 medals on their uniforms in the mid 20's even possibly some Iron Cross types. Our Oufit started in 1921. Not any more............
Old 28 December 2017, 18:05
Rocket Surgeon

At my agency, branch pin may be worn over the nametag. Military service ribbons may be worn in conjunction with LE service ribbons in dress uniform.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 28 December 2017, 19:34
Confirmed User

Does Your Agency Allow Your Armed Forces Insignia To Be Worn?

Thank you for the replies. The attached photograph is a NJ Captain with crossed rifles. They use that to signify membership on their Honor Guard Unit. Also note the hash marks, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NJ Captain.jpg (29.8 KB, 293 views)
Old 28 December 2017, 20:05

Old agency allowed us to wear a branch pin above our name tag. My current one allows an American flag pin over our name tag. No military specialty pins or awards, and I am unsure if I would if it were allowed. I doubt my CIB would have any use on a domestic violence or accident scene.
Old 28 December 2017, 21:21
Confirmed User

I saw VA State Troopers with their insignia under the shirt flap pocket.
Old 28 December 2017, 22:26
Been There Done That

New Llano PD, on the south side of Leesville (Ft. Polk) cop had a 101st pin on a pocket flap, no idea if it was authorized, but it was about a 3 street cop agency that only seemed to exist to generate revenue.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 29 December 2017, 01:37
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
New Llano PD, on the south side of Leesville (Ft. Polk) cop had a 101st pin on a pocket flap, no idea if it was authorized, but it was about a 3 street cop agency that only seemed to exist to generate revenue.
Pitkin PD?

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 29 December 2017, 05:50
Ne Obliviscaris

Both LAPD and LASD are authorized to wear their mil ribbons if they served on certain occasions (under their badge on the left breast) sucxh as Veterans Day, Memorial Day and a few others. I know two former Marines who serve in both departments. I also have another friend in NC who serves on a small SD. They are allowed to do the same. I reckon it all depends on department regs. Also, my buddy in the LAPD wears a small EGA on his left breast pocket in the corner. I'll see if I can't find a pic.
Old 29 December 2017, 06:00
Ne Obliviscaris

LAPD with Mil Ribbons

Here is a pic of one of my buddies who is LAPD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24131460_501977123506859_1896511927677057063_n.jpg (26.5 KB, 241 views)
Old 29 December 2017, 19:47
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Pitkin PD?
Re-read your post after some sleep. Question was answered

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 8 January 2018, 14:50

My Agency only recently allowed its Deputies to wear pins.

Beforehand, it was simply your badge and nameplate. Now one is allowed to wear no more than two pins above the nameplate and they must be recognized pins, meaning you cannot wear a Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon or St. Michael pin. It must be law enforcement recognized such as FTO, SWAT, Dive Team, FBI Academy, etc.

However, for Veterans our Sheriff has allowed the National Defense Ribbon to be worn if you served honorably in the Military.
Old 14 January 2018, 22:29

That guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
Here is a pic of one of my buddies who is LAPD.
Johnny!

Our new posting rules