SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 July 2019, 12:24
Involuntary Yoga Guy

When you're a guest in someone's home, and...

the kids are fucking awful, spoiled brat, enabled, entitled little princesses, and they act that way... What would you do?

Would you call the kids out when they're being absolute little shits? Would you point out their spoiled behavior?

While visiting the home of a friend (I've been privileged to be in some nice places on the lake, but this place... wow), and my friends have kids over who are friends of the daughter.

I've never experienced and witnessed so much spoiled mean girl behavior in my life. Snarky, shockingly rude to the parents, demanding, spoiled... I was keeping my mouth shut, until we were about to get on the boat and go back to the house. But the boat battery died, needed a jump, one of the guys with us (neighbor) went to get and then return the jump box from the marina. This guys son was driving the boat. While we're waiting for the dad to come back, these girls were talking shit about how long he was taking, making some snide remarks about how he was "just a fireman, and a cop" and how he'd never be able to be up here, etc. Foul little creatures, and saying this while this 17 year old boy, is hearing these little beasts talk shit about his dad.

I politely, as much as I could be, told that they were being mean, rude, and acting like rotten kids.

Fast forward back at the house, and I was let in on the fact that I was a mean jerk, and how I made fun of them. I considered leaving, but the friends I was visiting talked me out of it, apologized for the kids, and they said that they'd call the kids out if it happened again.

I've never seen kids run shit like I have the past couple days, and I do not understand how some people can completely and totally enable kids to the degree that I saw.

Anyone else have experience with this? What did you, or what would you have done?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW

Last edited by chokeu2; 11 July 2019 at 12:37. Reason: grammar correction
Old 11 July 2019, 12:33
Mindset is Everything

Brother, if you think about it, you may be the only one that has ever corrected them about their behavior. At the end of the day, they could take your words and learn from them or they can continue on the road they are traveling and find themselves in way more trouble than simply being called out for their behavior.

It's sad, but there are times that kids have to be "raised" and "corrected" by people other than their parents, simply because their parents won't correct them. You did right in my opinion. And in answer to your question, I have corrected other peoples kids in front of them because they wouldn't.
Old 11 July 2019, 12:33
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Anyone else have experience with this? What did you, or what would you have done?
Not that extreme, but yes. If they're visiting my house and acting a fool I politely let them know "we don't do/say" that here. If I'm at someone else's house I try to course correct similar to how you did. I'm willing to have my friends be mad at me for doing the right thing when they may not.
Old 11 July 2019, 12:36
Freelancer

Folks these days need to work on their backhands. Fucking crotch goblins.
Old 11 July 2019, 12:37
Been There Done That

One of my favorite stories (not sure if it's true or an urban legend) is of the man who turned around in a restaurant and said to the parents of misbehaving children - "Do you want to discipline your children or would you like me to?"
Old 11 July 2019, 12:42
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Mars, I fear you're right. I was sitting at this massive dining room table, and the girls sitting at the bar, the kids were dictating to the parents, what to cook for breakfast, telling the parents to get them cereal. Because I guess walking the 10 feet into the pantry to see, and get the stuff for themselves. And the parents did as they were told, when the kids faces were not stuff into their screens.

And in between making my first post, and this post, one of the girls came in and directed what all the adults need to be doing right now, in an extremely practiced way... And I looked at her and said, "ah, 18 and in charge now, how does that feel?". She walked off, went and told her mom that was rude and mean to her. I told mom that if she's going to come in and dictate in adult, she will get spoken to in adult.

Doc P, your phrase about being willing for them to be mad at me, is likely a statement that I am going to be repeating today... Thank you for that line!

Old 11 July 2019, 12:43
Administrator

Quote:
I considered leaving....
I would have left.

Life's too short to spend your precious off time with anyone that brings you down. Surround yourself with people that make you laugh and that you are proud to know.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 11 July 2019, 12:43
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
One of my favorite stories (not sure if it's true or an urban legend) is of the man who turned around in a restaurant and said to the parents of misbehaving children - "Do you want to discipline your children or would you like me to?"
I could see this escalating to that point. I'm one smartass remark away. Crazy thing is, the dad who owns this place, owns one of the largest commercial/residential builders in the Atlanta area. If you were in Atlanta, you'd recognize the name. And he's getting run by his 16 year old, 18 year old, and their 4 friends. I don't freaking get it.

Old 11 July 2019, 12:45
Custom User Title

I'd probably just leave.
Old 11 July 2019, 12:51
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'd probably just leave.
Yep, and I'm going to pack it in now.
Final straw, I was having a conversation with dad/homeowner, kiddo came up, told me that I could continue my conversation with her dad in a few minutes, and then attempted to get him to allow her to take one of the boats out.

And I literally just told him that I'm about to start disciplining kids that are not mine, because they're acting with adult level impunity, being rude and disrespectful, and that I'm going to go ahead and get on the road back to Atlanta, otherwise, it will not be a good weekend.

The sheer look of shock at being called out and corrected on these kids faces... It was so bizarre that I almost didn't believe my eyes.

Old 11 July 2019, 12:58
Drawing my cutlass

Unfortunately, all it takes is one phone call from a spoiled child to the police to ruin a parent’s life for the foreseeable future. Kids nowadays know this and use it as a threat to turn families upside down.

Many parents live in mortal fear of their kids.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 July 2019, 13:01
Mindset is Everything

Bro, I used to tell parents all the time that if they didn't correct their kids and I had to, they weren't going to be able to question my methods at that point. To be honest with you, I hate rude kids and I hate parents that allow that behavior even more - and, they aren't worth being considered as one of my friends. I would just leave at this point...lesson learned....
Old 11 July 2019, 13:07
Rage against the machine

High speed ditch on that "friend" and that family.

Those stuck up cunt kids didn't get that way by themselves. They were enabled by those parents.

DH said life is short.

Too true.

I like my drama on the screen not in my face.
Old 11 July 2019, 13:09
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
the kids are fucking awful, spoiled brat, enabled, entitled little princesses, and they act that way... What would you do?

Would you call the kids out when they're being absolute little shits? Would you point out their spoiled behavior?

While visiting the home of a friend (I've been privileged to be in some nice places on the lake, but this place... wow), and my friends have kids over who are friends of the daughter.

I've never experienced and witnessed so much spoiled mean girl behavior in my life. Snarky, shockingly rude to the parents, demanding, spoiled... I was keeping my mouth shut, until we were about to get on the boat and go back to the house. But the boat battery died, needed a jump, one of the guys with us (neighbor) went to get and then return the jump box from the marina. This guys son was driving the boat. While we're waiting for the dad to come back, these girls were talking shit about how long he was taking, making some snide remarks about how he was "just a fireman, and a cop" and how he'd never be able to be up here, etc. Foul little creatures, and saying this while this 17 year old boy, is hearing these little beasts talk shit about his dad.

I politely, as much as I could be, told that they were being mean, rude, and acting like rotten kids.

Fast forward back at the house, and I was let in on the fact that I was a mean jerk, and how I made fun of them. I considered leaving, but the friends I was visiting talked me out of it, apologized for the kids, and they said that they'd call the kids out if it happened again.

I've never seen kids run shit like I have the past couple days, and I do not understand how some people can completely and totally enable kids to the degree that I saw.

I'd say you did the right thing. I assume that the kids parents aren't close friends, more of a friend of a friend? If the parent asked me why I said what I said, I would relay to them what their little darlings said. If that chaps their hide, you probably don't want to hang out with those kind of people anyway.
Old 11 July 2019, 13:14
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Unfortunately, all it takes is one phone call from a spoiled child to the police to ruin a parent’s life for the foreseeable future. Kids nowadays know this and use it as a threat to turn families upside down.

Many parents live in mortal fear of their kids.
Fuck that. My kids tried that fucking once. I called the sheriffs dept right in front of them and told them to come on out and pick up my kids, cuz they thought my rules were too strict.
I handed the phone to my youngest probably 11ish, and he started wailing, "NO, I don't want to go" right there. The deputy heard him, I took back the phone, and he asked, "Do you still need me to come out sir?" I said no thanks, I think we've got it under control now. HAHA

To this day my kids are polite, well mannered and are successful in life.
Old 11 July 2019, 13:17
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
High speed ditch on that "friend" and that family.

Those stuck up cunt kids didn't get that way by themselves. They were enabled by those parents.

DH said life is short.

Too true.

I like my drama on the screen not in my face.
this
Old 11 July 2019, 13:19
Confirmed User

Parents trying to be friends instead of being parents.

I saw this crap all the time when I was coaching girls softball, kids literally yelling at their parents for not reminding them to bring their cleats or glove or any fucking water, insane.

I had one parent approach me after practice (understand this was a parent that dropped the kid and took off, every practice and damn near every game) to let me know that her kid didn't like being yelled at during practice. She didn't like being told that letting your kid run amok and disrespect you is your business, but between those white line it's mine, don't like it leave.

I've actually had moms who are friends of mine say that it is not worth the trouble or disciplining the kid, too much effort, yadda yadda yadda. Once again I'm the bad guy for pointing out to them that when they spread their legs that was the deal, to late to change the terms. And don't get me started on the fathers that act like pussys and won't do anything to correct the behavior - I came from the school of 'how would like like to learn to fly or maybe get your head put through a wall'. It never happened but I wasn't going to test the veracity of the statement.

#getoffmylawn#
Old 11 July 2019, 13:21
Administrator

Quote:
Crazy thing is, the dad who owns this place, owns one of the largest commercial/residential builders in the Atlanta area.
Is this the Turners? If so, small world....a buddy of mine was their chief pilot for over a decade (recently left), and I have heard similar stories about rude kids from him.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 11 July 2019, 13:42
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I would have left.

Life's too short to spend your precious off time with anyone that brings you down. Surround yourself with people that make you laugh and that you are proud to know.
Bingo. I refuse to be around assholes anymore, child or adult. There are far too many nice, well behaved people and kids around for me to put up with that GARBAGE.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 11 July 2019, 14:05
Authorized Personnel

Years ago there was boy around five or six in the booth next to us who stood up, leaned over into our booth, and stare while my daughter, a year older, and my wife and I were eating. Gave him the stink eye, which did not work. I thought they’d make him sit down. Nope.

So I got pissed... thought and then got up on my knees and leaned over into the other couples both... mimicking his behavior. His mom’s eyes got big and the Dad was like what’s up. Told him since his son wanted to share in our dining experience I thought it was only fair that I participate in theirs.

Then I said... control your boy, make him sit down, mind his manners and be respectful of other people’s space and act like a parent!” Dude was such a wuss. They were flummoxed and speechless and shot out of there shortly after.

Owner of the restaurant is a very old friend. Created a regional chain and did very well. Told him what went down in case they tried to complain and he just laughed. He made all of his kids work in the biz growing up. Good kids.

My daughter has been a pain at times but I take comfort when all of her friends parents remark what a great kid she is... polite, helpful, respectful. Don’t always get that at home but am thankful she’s isn’t acting like a cheeseball when away with other friends and their families.

You did the right thing by leaving. I can only imagine how I would have responded to that type of bullshit. My kid knows she lives in a benevolent dictatorship and I’m her father and not her friend.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv

Our new posting rules