SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 4 February 2020, 03:47
Confirmed User

Good to see GSP did the right thing and canned all those involved; no room for that in the LE world. Every arrest and citation these guys/gals were involved with should now subject to review and possible dismissal. On a sad note....some more senior Troopers are now working holidays...
Old 4 February 2020, 08:35
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
You guys are harsh. Whatever happened to if you ain't cheating you ain't trying hard enough...dudes probably the same type who wrote Choke. The profession is going to shit for real. It's becoming painfully clear that my whole professional life was for naught.
The dude that wrote me was in the class before this class. They have started taking a look at classes prior, because with this many people cheating it intimates that the issue is systemic. There are more.

And the guy who wrote me, is in trouble. Seems that is test results are also suspect. Small world in that a friend of mine, knows this guys former supervisor. My stop is not the first where complaints against this guy have been made. His former supervisor said that in my case, there isn’t anyways that he could have got me, simply because of the geography.

I couldn’t be more amused.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 4 February 2020, 09:57
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
The dude that wrote me was in the class before this class. They have started taking a look at classes prior, because with this many people cheating it intimates that the issue is systemic. There are more.

And the guy who wrote me, is in trouble. Seems that is test results are also suspect. Small world in that a friend of mine, knows this guys former supervisor. My stop is not the first where complaints against this guy have been made. His former supervisor said that in my case, there isn’t anyways that he could have got me, simply because of the geography.

I couldn’t be more amused.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 4 February 2020, 10:09
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
I was about to text you...
A friend of mine literally called his friend, who coincidentally was this guys supervisor. He couldn’t touch this before, but now... he used the phrase you’ve used, teachable moment. Doesn’t look good for this G-od’s S-pecial P-erson.

I’m not one of those “ooh, the policeman was a big meany” type. I don’t envy what LEO’s have to tolerate on a daily basis. And I don’t wish ill will on the guy, but he was truly out of control on my stop. Came up to the car ranting, saying things that didn’t make sense. A part of me wishes that this went all the way to trial because I WANTED the recording of this stop to be played.

Most GSP troops are strack, polite, professional, by the book in a good way. This guy was anything but. From speaking to another friend who left teaching BJJ full time to be a Trooper quite after only 2.5 years, and he said that the people in his class were not exactly an elevated caliber. His opinion was the recruitment is suffering and their taking what they can get.

Old 4 February 2020, 10:44
Custom User Title

How hard could this test have been?
Old 4 February 2020, 10:50
Hard to Kill

Quote:
You guys are harsh. Whatever happened to if you ain't cheating you ain't trying hard enough...dudes probably the same type who wrote Choke. The profession is going to shit for real. It's becoming painfully clear that my whole professional life was for naught.
I am curious as to why you think that. The last sentence, that is.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0311 View Post
Clearly harder than where you went.
Old 4 February 2020, 13:00

Quote:
Only thing I can think of would be that (perhaps) GSP *might*
require them to work cosine error into radar return, to
give true road speed...?
Old 4 February 2020, 13:14
Did...did I do that?

A little more on this from the Atlanta paper; https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opini...23JbcFTFRov0K/
Old 4 February 2020, 15:53
Freelancer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Hahahaha!
Old 4 February 2020, 16:06
Confirmed User

I read the article that bobmueller posted and have to say what did the Command Staff think would happen when they assigned an online test to be taken in your dorm room to a group of men that are 31 years of age and younger.

If I was an instructor I would have told the cadets the same thing,(plus I have been told that same thing numerous times throughout my law enforcement training): You have your notes, your classmates, along with other sources of information at your finger tips; get it done.

I guess I would have been dismissed also. A few years back I started the hiring process with GSP but then I volunteered/got picked up for deployment to AFG.

Now the guy who had the female take it for him. That was just stupid.
Old 4 February 2020, 16:06
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Speed estimation and LIDAR was like a single afternoon at my academy. LIDAR is pretty idiot proof and speed estimation is easier than you might think. But I don't do traffic.
Old 4 February 2020, 18:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm no angel, and never pretended otherwise. That said, if a student has to cheat in school in order to graduate, then they need to go.

I never tried to cheat my way through any school I attended. Afterwards, on the job, I cheated as necessary to achieve the Commander's Intent/Team Mission. I learned early on that if we weren't cheating the enemy every chance we had, then our tactics sucked.

Cheating on the job? Absolutely. In school? Nope, because school is a picnic compared to the real world. LEOs have much greater restrictions on how much they can cheat and catch bad guys; and they need learn that on the job, not in school.

My two cents worth...
Old 4 February 2020, 20:28
Road Scum

Quote:
Speed estimation and LIDAR was like a single afternoon at my academy. LIDAR is pretty idiot proof and speed estimation is easier than you might think. But I don't do traffic.
It isn’t inflight rocket surgery. The fact that this was the subject matter that sank them is pathetic. The dumbest fucker in my academy passed it with no issues.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 5 February 2020, 11:50
These ain't my pants.

SMI recert is the single biggest source of stress, certification related, for our guys. It’s never so much the written portion of the testing, but the field portion that generally fails people. Insane that a full class of students were so dumb they had to cheat the original written cert.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 5 February 2020, 12:24
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
SMI recert is the single biggest source of stress, certification related, for our guys. It’s never so much the written portion of the testing, but the field portion that generally fails people. Insane that a full class of students were so dumb they had to cheat the original written cert.
It truly does seem like GSP has hit a rut insofar as hiring the caliber of people that they’ve been known for. Historically, the Troopers look like Drill’s. Now, they’re not so sharp, they’re rude, they aren’t professional as they used to be. Not trying to be hyperbolic, rather repeating from LEO friends, and from what I’ve seen on my own teaching DT to LEO’s for so long.

Old 5 February 2020, 12:25
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
It truly does seem like GSP has hit a rut insofar as hiring the caliber of people that they’ve been known for. Historically, the Troopers look like Drill’s. Now, they’re not so sharp, they’re rude, they aren’t professional as they used to be. Not trying to be hyperbolic, rather repeating from LEO friends, and from what I’ve seen on my own teaching DT to LEO’s for so long.
That's happening everywhere, unfortunately....
Old 5 February 2020, 13:31
Reverse Apache Master

"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" is fine in some circumstances, but not this one.

LEO's have the authority/power (under certain conditions, obviously) to restrict the freedom of another human being. Think about how significant that is, at its most basic level.

Now tell me why you'd entrust that authority/power to someone who lacks the character traits of integrity and honor. If they'll compromise it on something as silly as a test like that, then they should never be in the position to influence/control another human being.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 6 February 2020, 08:04
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Unfortunately it’s the same way with us. I’d like to thump my chest and say that back when my uncle was a Trooper, I would’ve had the PT assessments and board reviews to have gotten on, but that’s potentially not the case. Back then, more than 4,000 people were applying for 59 positions. When I came on, that number had dwindled to roughly 1,100, and while competitive it wasn’t on the same level. Now, 10 years later, our recruiting office is seeing maybe 3-400 applicants for a school, and of those almost half are immediately booted from process because of self admitted automatic disqualifiers. We are accepting garbage into the academy, and turning out garbage onto the road. The senior guys are trying their best to hold back the tide and get guys up to caliber as best as possible, but unfortunately we continue to see a decline overall.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 6 February 2020, 12:40
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
Unfortunately it’s the same way with us. I’d like to thump my chest and say that back when my uncle was a Trooper, I would’ve had the PT assessments and board reviews to have gotten on, but that’s potentially not the case. Back then, more than 4,000 people were applying for 59 positions. When I came on, that number had dwindled to roughly 1,100, and while competitive it wasn’t on the same level. Now, 10 years later, our recruiting office is seeing maybe 3-400 applicants for a school, and of those almost half are immediately booted from process because of self admitted automatic disqualifiers. We are accepting garbage into the academy, and turning out garbage onto the road. The senior guys are trying their best to hold back the tide and get guys up to caliber as best as possible, but unfortunately we continue to see a decline overall.
The .mil, & LE, Civvie.co are competing with everyone else for that vaunted 30%.
Stats I found last year reported that about 30% of the of age population were actually eligible for the military.

"According to 2017 Pentagon data, 71 percent of young Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible to serve in the United States military. Put another way: Over 24 million of the 34 million people of that age group cannot join the armed forces—even if they wanted to."

For all the usual reasons, drug addictions, arrests, fatties, dummy's, psycho's and on and on.

So yeah, slim portion of the pie is eligible. Then from that eligible portion. . . .!

Our new posting rules