Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 19 April 2010, 19:51
Authorized Personnel

SB,

On my CV/Resume, Should I bold-highlight that damn NCO course you sent me to? :)

Semper Fi,
Kalbo
Old 19 April 2010, 22:30
Administrator

Somebody in the plt needed to know how to drill properly.
Old 20 April 2010, 01:07
Unleash the Kittens!

that's what I was shooting for, got it :)
Old 20 April 2010, 07:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Somebody in the plt needed to know how to drill properly.
Yep, that came in handy
Old 22 April 2011, 02:03

I know that I should have prepared for this but damn 20 years really just came up quick. I can write great CONOPs and other Operational Reports but I am clueless on the right way to do a resume or how to get a job. I am very behind and unprepared for my transition to a civilian. So much that I am second guessing getting out at all.

I would be very greatful if someone that considers their resume to be shit hot send me a copy so I can craft mine in a like manner. I am also open to ANY advice that someone thinks would be benificial. If there is something that you could have done different and you think I should know, tell me.

Additionally, if you have any ideas for work I could use them. I will not move my family from TN but I am willing to travel for up to 6 mos out of a year.

Tell me I am not fucking up here by getting out. I am really getting cold feet on this retirement idea. Thanks
Old 22 April 2011, 06:28
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by VcrusaderV View Post
I know that I should have prepared for this but damn 20 years really just came up quick. I can write great CONOPs and other Operational Reports but I am clueless on the right way to do a resume or how to get a job. I am very behind and unprepared for my transition to a civilian. So much that I am second guessing getting out at all.

I would be very greatful if someone that considers their resume to be shit hot send me a copy so I can craft mine in a like manner. I am also open to ANY advice that someone thinks would be benificial. If there is something that you could have done different and you think I should know, tell me.

Additionally, if you have any ideas for work I could use them. I will not move my family from TN but I am willing to travel for up to 6 mos out of a year.

Tell me I am not fucking up here by getting out. I am really getting cold feet on this retirement idea. Thanks
Have you gone to the TAP course? They have classes in resume writing and will review yours.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 22 April 2011, 07:28
The Sagacious One

Quote:

Crusader

PM me your email address.

TFG
Old 22 April 2011, 07:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Have you gone to the TAP course? They have classes in resume writing and will review yours.
I wouldn't use them as the reference for how to write resumes.

Plenty of real knowledge on this site to help anyone produce a very good resume that will actually get read.
Old 22 April 2011, 08:25
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
I wouldn't use them as the reference for how to write resumes.

Plenty of real knowledge on this site to help anyone produce a very good resume that will actually get read.
I was pretty pleased with the guy they had come in and teach our course. He was a business dude with extensive HR/Executive Hiring experience that they contracted to teach resumes and interviewing. I don't know what it might be like in other bases, but it was probably the most helpful part of the whole ACAP portion for me. Definately something folks transitioning out should take advantage of.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 22 April 2011, 08:46
Über Equus Asinus

Here are a couple of additional tips from someone that has reviewed thousands upon thousands of resumes over the past several years...

focus on ACCOMPLISHMENTS.. not responsibilities..

telling me you were responsible for the development and implementation of a $1.2M annual training budget doesnt let me know whether or not you were actually any good at it... thats just a line out of your previous job description..

telling me you exceeded all goals and objectives (state these G/O specifically) by 10% while reducing costs in a $1.2M training budget by 5%.. tells me what you were responsible for.. and tells me you kicked butt doing it at the same time...

Telling me you were awarded an MSM is cool....

Telling me you were recognized for superior performance, and giving me a 2 line synopsys of what you did to earn it.. is better... if you leave it at MSM.. i might think its just a separation award.. telling me you did something noteworthy, that showcases your ability as a leader, or your technical capability, etc.. is much more valuable..

dont just tell me you were an Assistant Team Leader on your departments part time SWAT team.. tell me you lead a 6 man element within an elite law enforcement unit while serving over 150 high risk warrants over a 3 year period of time without a single officer injury (again, tell me you were actually good at your job and are very experienced at it..)...

others will probably argue with me.. but I dont think resume format is nearly as important as content, clarity, accuracy...

tell me what makes you superior at your job.. dont just tell me what the job was.. make sure there are no "stupid" mistakes (spelling, grammar, etc..).. and get it on 2 pages or less..

thousands upon thousands of people JUST LIKE YOU apply for the same jobs you do.. they were all SWAT cops, Special Ops guys, 20 year Infantry E8's, etc... everyone has the same basic bullet points where they show what schools they attended, what awards they were given, what units they were assigned to, etc..

A resume is a SALES tool (you are selling yourself).. if you look like everyone else.. you have the same shot at getting an interview call as everyone else (in this market where supply far outweighs demand.. the shot is extremely limited..).. make yourself stand out.. tell me why you are BETTER than the next 3 resumes on my desk below yours..

just my .02
Old 22 April 2011, 09:26
Odin's Underling

Great thread SB. A much needed topic of conversation.

One of the primary things used throughout the government, especially in federal law enforcement, right now is a Biography. They are updated about once a year and they are used for all promotions and laterals. SB is dead on when he says to keep it short. The bios should only be about one page in length and they cover your entire professional career (in reverse). You start with your current assignment and work backwards. It has to be short and concise and needs to be general or you will never get it all into one page. If it can’t be read in 3 minutes or less then it is too long.

I started off with a resume that was about four pages in length and it covered every cool-guy school I attended. Luckily, I had a retired SOCOM CSM who was there when I walked in the door and he got me straight. There are too many folks out there now days that have done it all, and have done it more recently than you.

Keep it short and only list the pertinent stuff that is relevant to the position you are trying for. Once you get your foot in the door you can shorten it even more. Your reputation and work ethic will do the rest.

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I was pretty pleased with the guy they had come in and teach our course. He was a business dude with extensive HR/Executive Hiring experience that they contracted to teach resumes and interviewing. I don't know what it might be like in other bases, but it was probably the most helpful part of the whole ACAP portion for me. Definately something folks transitioning out should take advantage of.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know if he was spot on or not. You have never worked in the civilian sector or had to review resumes for hiring in the civilian sector.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

Add to that, don't state you're reliable, honest, hardworking, punctual, or anything else that is expected of anyone applying for a job.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
A resume is a SALES tool (you are selling yourself)..
Smart hiring managers (like those here) view resumes much as they would a balance sheet without a liabilities statement.

Help build their confidence.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 22 April 2011, 11:03
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
I can write great CONOPs and other Operational Reports but I am clueless on the right way to do a resume or how to get a job.
start with this...

in your resume.. there should be a bullet about CONOPs and OP Reports.. and WHY you are great at this (have you gotten a commendation for it? has someone recognized you for it?)...

focus on TRANSFERABLE SKILLS...

you may be the best 18C in the world (just making an example here.. I dont know what your MOS is..).. but very few people (to include those in the security industry) could care less that you know how to rig a charge that could bring down the bridge of the americas..

what people do want to hear about are the things that transfer into the civilian world.. or are directly applicable to the job you are applying for..

think about how the ability to write a CONOP could be valuable to a civilian employer.. equate it to something the hiring manager will have interest in (based ont he job description)..

does the job require any understanding or knowlege of the planning process?

does the job require report writing that will be reviewed by senior members of the organization?

does the job require the ability to work with small teams to develop products for use by larger elements?

make your ability to write "great CONOPs" work for you.. and showcase this experience..

dont just say "write conops in support of S3..."

talk about how many you have written.. who they have been presented to.. how effective they were.. how you have been recognized for this.. etc..etc..

hope this helps...
Old 22 April 2011, 17:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Yep! There are two knowledgeable folks from this site who helped tear my resume apart years ago - it was very helpful and part of the reason that I am where I am!
Old 22 April 2011, 20:02

Thanks for all the feedback, its very helpful. I have always taken products that I produce very seriously. Now I find that I dont know shit about being a civilian... Great that I can write my ass off on a rotation but I doesnt help here. Everyones comments are very useful. Thank you very much.
Old 23 April 2011, 10:31
El Conquistador

The format that have worked for me in my civilian career is the biographical format. Write the official description of your MOS, position, etc in the first person, for example for Police Officer it should be something like ¨I conduct preliminary investigations into criminal violations of state law. I arrest and interview suspects, I interview victims and witness of crimes....¨ Once you´re done add the accomplishment while you held the said position. For example use your career lights while you were assigned to the position. For this read the write up for any of awards, medals or letters of appreciation you earned while in the position, use some of the language in these write up as your accomplishments. This format will help avoid ommissions as well as exaggerations, as you can back them up with your certificates of training and awards earned...The main problem with this format is that may end up writting a novel, you have to prioritize what you want to write in your resume...the only section (IMO) that you should not leave anything out is the section in where you´re listing all of your training certificates...

G6
Old 23 April 2011, 12:59
Confirmed User

Is there anyone here that would be willing to have a look at my resume? I don't know if it is me or something about my resume or some other factor, but I've been having a tough time finding a job anywhere.

Note: I'm not military; just a civvie looking for some help.

A person I talk to online suggested I have someone that looks at a ton of resumes look over mine, but I don't know anyone like that.
Old 23 April 2011, 13:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6445v View Post
The format that have worked for me in my civilian career is the biographical format. Write the official description of your MOS, position, etc in the first person, for example for Police Officer it should be something like ¨I conduct preliminary investigations into criminal violations of state law. I arrest and interview suspects, I interview victims and witness of crimes....¨ Once you´re done add the accomplishment while you held the said position. For example use your career lights while you were assigned to the position. For this read the write up for any of awards, medals or letters of appreciation you earned while in the position, use some of the language in these write up as your accomplishments. This format will help avoid ommissions as well as exaggerations, as you can back them up with your certificates of training and awards earned...The main problem with this format is that may end up writting a novel, you have to prioritize what you want to write in your resume...the only section (IMO) that you should not leave anything out is the section in where you´re listing all of your training certificates...

G6
You need to look around for a thread where I describe the "long" and "short" resume. No one should be going through awards, medals or anything else to put together a resume.

Chronological is nice, but reading crap that happened 15-20 years ago is tiresome and doesn't attract attention in the manner that one thinks it does.

Listing all your training is a waste unless it's relevant to the job or is something that makes you look more well rounded.

Our new posting rules