SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 2 August 2018, 15:15
Going cyclic!!

Rodeo

I have always loved Rodeos, ever since I was a little kid. I've worked on horse farms, I've been to the NFR in Las Vegas, and after last night going to the county fair to watch the bull riding event, I always think to myself, "Why the hell do I even watch football anymore?" I mean, here was a crowd of people, who all stood and sang along with the national anthem. The announcer gave a nice speech about America as a pretty girl rode around the arena with the American Flag held high. And once again as I usually do, I got a misty eyed at singing our national song.
So, why the hell, do I even care about football and all their spoiled babies, making millions.

If any of you have never been to a rodeo in person or even watched one, do yourselves a favor and do it. Those guys and girls are ever bit the athlete that the NFL is.
Old 2 August 2018, 15:54
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
"Why the hell do I even watch football anymore?"
You watch the wrong football. Roll Tide!

Quote:
If any of you have never been to a rodeo in person or even watched one, do yourselves a favor and do it. Those guys and girls are ever bit the athlete that the NFL is.
Comparing RCA rodeos with the pansy-assed NFL is downright shameful. Knock em out!

60 minutes of pro football is does nothing for me, but show me 60 minutes worth of 8 seconds rides, and the pretty gals barrel racing, ohhh, yes!

Forget padded rugby. I need a rodeo fix!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 2 August 2018, 16:03
33,024 - R.I.P.

I was an audit at a company last week, and speaking with one of the designees. This gal works a full day at this aircraft parts company AND raises cattle. She usually has between 100-130 head at a time, and rides the annual Chisholm Trail Drive. Then I hear folks bitch about long air conditioned car drives. Kinda puts it into perspective.
Old 2 August 2018, 16:12
Authorized Personnel

Wife and I are big rodeo fans here - wife took a couple of pics at the last one we attended in Montana...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rodeo 1.jpg (58.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Rodeo 2.jpg (61.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Rodeo 3.jpg (63.8 KB, 205 views)
Old 2 August 2018, 16:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Our area has a rodeo every year, a town called Wauconda. It's still horse country out there.

Saw a kids rodeo out in Spanish Fork, UT many years back, pretty cool watching a bunch of kids engage in Mutton Bustin'. I guess future rodeo stars have to start somewhere.
Old 2 August 2018, 16:49
Anesthetized User

Went the the Folsom Rodeo again this year. And again, tons of pride, care of our flag and tons of good riding.

Hot as fuck.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=1...t=Folsom+rodeo

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 2 August 2018, 18:41
Confirmed User

Smaller local ones, along with San Antonio, Houston, and the NFR in Vegas. A couple of weeks ago I went to a small Mexican rodeo, now that was different.
Old 2 August 2018, 18:52

Rodeos are awesome. Be glad that more people don't like them. If you want to see the abomination that a rodeo can turn into once faggy people start getting into them (city dwellers, hipsters, left coast people) because of social crap --- look no further them the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
Old 2 August 2018, 19:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Saw a kids rodeo out in Spanish Fork, UT many years back, pretty cool watching a bunch of kids engage in Mutton Bustin'. I guess future rodeo stars have to start somewhere.
I don't think it's physically possible to watch Mutton Bustin' and not laugh your ass off.
Old 2 August 2018, 19:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Rodeos are awesome. Be glad that more people don't like them. If you want to see the abomination that a rodeo can turn into once faggy people start getting into them (city dwellers, hipsters, left coast people) because of social crap --- look no further them the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
NASCAR used to be awesome too, then they let Californians race.
Old 2 August 2018, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
I don't think it's physically possible to watch Mutton Bustin' and not laugh your ass off.
It was funny, no doubt, but I kept a straight face. These kids were so damn serious about it, and I admired their pluck, especially the smaller kids.
Old 2 August 2018, 19:46
Been There Done That

Both of my step-brothers were in the circuit. Both can barely walk, now.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 2 August 2018, 19:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I agree. I stopped going to HLSR the year after it moved from the Astrodome to Reliant. Never been back since. I grew up going there. My wife used to ride for the precision paint horse drill team(Catalena Cowgirls) that was popular there for many years and other rodeos. The "new" people there changed that and it's not for the better.
Old 2 August 2018, 20:55
Been There Done That

My cousin... twice removed? Granny’s cousin owned one and I spent plenty a Saturday night there. Their girls rode the colors and turned barrels damn near every week

Mom was a Commitee member at the HLSR, so I spent a lot of time there. Upside was free concerts, really good commitee member parties... downside? Dealing with a whole lot of assholes, and drunk/stoned assholes. And big money power players playing at cowboy/rancher/whatever.... but a lot of kids get serious scholarship money over the course of those weeks too.

I never much cared for rodeos. I can respect the heart and balls of riders, but I feel sorry for the critters, even if they’re bread and trained for it.

And I always root for the bulls in bullfights
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 2 August 2018, 21:03
Sound off for equipment check!

Went to the Texas State Prison Rodeo in Huntsville a few times. It was outstanding. Another one I used to enjoy was the Boys Ranch Rodeo at Old Tascosa. Those kids were great.

Profound respect for the rodeo clowns. Theyre lifesavers...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 3 August 2018, 15:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Went to the Texas State Prison Rodeo in Huntsville a few times. It was outstanding. Another one I used to enjoy was the Boys Ranch Rodeo at Old Tascosa. Those kids were great.

Profound respect for the rodeo clowns. Theyre lifesavers...
At Huntsville State Prison... did you enjoy the prisoners and the wild ass Brahman bull with $100 bills taped to his horns???

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 3 August 2018, 16:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
At Huntsville State Prison... did you enjoy the prisoners and the wild ass Brahman bull with $100 bills taped to his horns???

That whole prison rodeo thing started in Louisiana.

I was a Bulldogger in High School. Good times.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 3 August 2018, 16:27
Confirmed User

I used to work at an event center that hosts a rodeo every January/February. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 3 August 2018, 16:28

Here's an article from several years back that goes into detail the preparation young rodeo riders go through to reach the professional level, almost like kids baseball league, only for rodeo riders.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2.../08/ride-lives

It was a good piece, I was amazed at how young they start actually riding and roping some of the bigger animals. I always enjoyed watching the rodeo competitions they'd show on Wide World of Sports. Now with the multitude of other sports programming, especially the X Games, you don't see those competitions broadcast as often.

The thing I always like about rodeos (in particular the bull riding competition) was the unpredictability of it all, the riders never know what bull they're going to draw. I guess there is a fairness in that, but could you imagine being a rider and always somehow drawing the biggest, meanest and most ornery bull on the circuit?

Like Bodacious, the bull cited early on in the above article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious_(bull)

Last edited by Spinner; 3 August 2018 at 16:37.
Old 3 August 2018, 16:44
Confirmed User

IMHO rodeo's are the toughest sport I've seen.....sit on a pissed off 1500+ lb bull as they pull on that strap and open the gate??? No thanks.

I went to the 'Granddaddy of them All' many moons ago in Cheyenne....besides the rodeo, I was impressed just bar hoppin' around town at night....every dude seemed to be 6'2 and taller walkin' the streets. Big, tough, country Americans.

Our new posting rules