Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 April 2018, 13:14
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37F5V View Post
Any fucking government website... I'm not sure that "hate" is a strong enough word for what I experience when dealing with sites like ebenefits or the vets.gov site.
I will second that on ebenefits. It is essentially a useless website, except for refilling prescriptions. And, they manage to screw that up as well.
Old 19 April 2018, 13:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Amen. Low maintenance wives are a gift from God.
I pretty much have a blank check to do anything I want as long as I don't get fat. She won't abide being with a fat man.

As long as Forestboy stays married and out of sight I should be able to hold on to her for awhile.
Old 19 April 2018, 15:07
Confirmed User

Angry

The number of SOB's that fuck over the Veterans & The V.A. I read different messages all the time where some one has screw the V.A. out of Money, which effects us Veterans, one way or another.

The financial manager of Atius Technology Institute (“Atius”), a privately owned, non-accredited school specializing in information technology courses, pleaded guilty today to conspiring to bribe a public official at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in exchange for the public official’s facilitation of over $1.4 million in payments that were supposed to be dedicated to providing vocational training for military veterans with service-connected disabilities.

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?t...abled-military
Old 19 April 2018, 15:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
And it's blowing snow here on the 19th.

Fuck West Virginia. I'm out. I'm going back west. I've been able to ride the motorcycle on exactly 1 goddamned day this year so far - this past Saturday. Every other weekend (and weekday) it has been sub 40 or raining or both or snowing or icy or maybe icy so they dumped every bit of salt they could find.

Wife and I discussed it last night. We are out. We give up. You win, WV. You can have your endless sunless days, endless clouds, endless bone-chilling wet damp cold.

Last year by this time in Montana we'd been on at least 4 camping trips (in tents), swimming at an outdoor pool, swimming in the river in Yellowstone, a dirt bike race and I still waked 1 mile to work every day of the year.

House is going up for sale. We're done.

LOL. It takes a little getting used to. But, I like 4 seasons, unlike the south where you only have 2.

Plus, I'm in one of the prettiest areas of the state. 5 miles from the New River Gorge Bridge, some of the best Smallmouth waters in the US and lunker Catfish. Deer, Bear, Turkey & small game are plentiful.

2 of the meanest whitewater rivers in the East are both within 20 minutes away.

I don't ride a bike, but I understand. It's all in what your interest are. Plus, I have roots here.

All the best in your travels Westward.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 19 April 2018, 16:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
LOL. It takes a little getting used to. But, I like 4 seasons, unlike the south where you only have 2.

Plus, I'm in one of the prettiest areas of the state. 5 miles from the New River Gorge Bridge, some of the best Smallmouth waters in the US and lunker Catfish. Deer, Bear, Turkey & small game are plentiful.

2 of the meanest whitewater rivers in the East are both within 20 minutes away.

I don't ride a bike, but I understand. It's all in what your interest are. Plus, I have roots here.

All the best in your travels Westward.

Yeah you are definitely in the better part of WV. I'm just in a suburb of southern Ohio.

According to one of the weather things you guys get at least 30 extra sunny days over Morgantown. I feel like we've seen the sun maybe four times since mid December. Probably exaggeration but it sure feels that way.

Even to ride a goddamned bicycle for exercise I have to put it in a car and drive 3 miles to a trail here because the roads are just so horribly bad in Morgantown - so bad that even I, who rode a bicycle and a faggy scooter in the middle of Washington DC, won't ride a bike except in my damned driveway.

Morgantown has 2 seasons: Spring and Summer which I call "Nice Season" and then "endless rain and gloom" - it lasts from mid-November until....well it's mid April and still here.
Old 19 April 2018, 16:32
Been There Done That

Sounds like Indiana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 April 2018, 16:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Yep. We have "REAL HOT" and hot. That's about it....
Old 19 April 2018, 16:50
Been There Done That

I need to move to Arizona or Florida.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 19 April 2018, 17:00

True hell is being a hair away from heat stroke in 29 palms. Then taking a swig from your camelback/canteen and having the 140F water actually heat you up rather than cool you down. Nothing like friggin Jacuzzi water on a hump from prospect.
Old 19 April 2018, 17:02
giving you a number

Quote:
Morgantown has 2 seasons: Spring and Summer which I call "Nice Season" and then "endless rain and gloom" - it lasts from mid-November until....well it's mid April and still here.
But you've got WVU!

Not that I really know much about it - just numerous visits as my son pursued his Van Wilder college education.
Old 19 April 2018, 17:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedsall View Post
But you've got WVU!

Not that I really know much about it - just numerous visits as my son pursued his Van Wilder college education.
Ha. Bunch of cultists. We may be the only two people out of 150,000 in the metro area who don’t dress head to toe in blue and gold constantly.

I mean who are they advertising to? You went to WVU? Neat. Now you’re 65 and you haven’t developed a single interest other than wearing college branded clothes and watching teens play with a ball?
Old 19 April 2018, 18:19
Confirmed User

KidA, I'm still trying to figure out why you left Montana. Love that state.
Old 19 April 2018, 18:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedsall View Post
But you've got WVU!

Top 5 in party schools for many years running. Blue & Gold baby!

Old 19 April 2018, 19:29
Authorized Personnel

Morgantown is a sewer.
Old 19 April 2018, 19:33
Bitter old man.

Some of you should move to New England. You don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.
Old 19 April 2018, 21:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Morgantown is a sewer.
Hopefully I'll do ok on my house. I agree. There's no planning, no infrastructure. The roads suck. If the roads don't drop off into a ditch, then there are telephone poles right at the edge of the road, or in the middle of the sidewalk, the single sidewalk in town. There is pretty good food around, not going to lie. But the state takes all the fucking money Morgantown generates and gives it to every podunk opioid town they can.

Housing prices here are insane. When I tell people what I paid, and what I got for it, they're incredulous. I guess when you have two Dept of Energy sites, an FBI site, a NASA site, NIOSH and a huge National Oceanographic whatever whatever campus housing stays at a premium, even though everything else is definitealy a sewer.
Old 19 April 2018, 21:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Hopefully I'll do ok on my house. I agree. There's no planning, no infrastructure. The roads suck. If the roads don't drop off into a ditch, then there are telephone poles right at the edge of the road, or in the middle of the sidewalk, the single sidewalk in town. There is pretty good food around, not going to lie. But the state takes all the fucking money Morgantown generates and gives it to every podunk opioid town they can.

Housing prices here are insane. When I tell people what I paid, and what I got for it, they're incredulous. I guess when you have two Dept of Energy sites, an FBI site, a NASA site, NIOSH and a huge National Oceanographic whatever whatever campus housing stays at a premium, even though everything else is definitealy a sewer.
Actually, I've only drove around Morgantown in passing. Anything North of Braxton County is another State to me. I stay in a 50 mile radius

Old 19 April 2018, 21:46
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Don't move to Florida. It sucks here in spite of the year round beautiful weather, warm water and coral reefs and miles of beaches.

Besides, the Arizona contingent needs to grow.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 19 April 2018, 23:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Don't move to Florida. It sucks here in spite of the year round beautiful weather, warm water and coral reefs and miles of beaches.

Besides, the Arizona contingent needs to grow.
Yep, stay away. There are way too many pinkie-test-passing barely clad 20-something chickies running around here for your heart.

Nope, nothing to see here, keep moving to Arizona and dye that blue hair black, no one can tell.
Old 19 April 2018, 23:38
Authorized Personnel

I spent my childhood in Jax/Orlando/Ocala FL. I have a buddy with a start up down in Ft. Lauderdale he wants to find me a position with.

I love Florida and have no problem with sweaty humid heat.

But goddamn the traffic and the trashy people just....ugh.....

Our new posting rules