SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 9 April 2020, 19:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I don't how long it has been since you've visited Bragg. The field adjacent to USASOC is named Meadows Field. There is a statue of MAJ Meadows on one end. The other end has Bronze Bruce, various unit markers, and the Wall honoring fallen members of USASOC over the years.
It has been almost 30 years since I was at Bragg. I've seen Bronze Bruce, now I need to go up to Bragg to see the museum and Maj. Meadows statue.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10 April 2020, 06:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceandburst View Post
It has been almost 30 years since I was at Bragg. I've seen Bronze Bruce, now I need to go up to Bragg to see the museum and Maj. Meadows statue.

Thanks for the heads up.
A lot has changed in 30 years. Roads moved, new roads, most of the older buildings gone and the White House is now Tan.

Most of the low area by the "White House" that had the 7th Gp HQ, Phyops, Bronze Bruce and SF Museum is gone - replaced by 2 huge Buildings.
Old 10 April 2020, 10:41
Conformed User

In the early 2000s I ran to the PX on Campbell for some lunch. Off to the side was a guy sitting behind a table filled with books, all alone. I felt kinda bad so I went over. Long story short, it was Col. Roger Donlon. We spoke for about 15 minutes and he thanked ME for my service, which felt really weird. I bought a book and went about my day, having just met a MOH recipient and SF legend.

He was the nicest, most humble man.
Old 10 April 2020, 10:59
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
In the early 2000s I ran to the PX on Campbell for some lunch. Off to the side was a guy sitting behind a table filled with books, all alone. I felt kinda bad so I went over. Long story short, it was Col. Roger Donlon. We spoke for about 15 minutes and he thanked ME for my service, which felt really weird. I bought a book and went about my day, having just met a MOH recipient and SF legend.

COL Donlon was the guest speaker at our Dining out in 1999. I got tasked to pick him up at the airport in my dress blues. Pretty cool talking to him and his wife. I didn't know that he retired from The Presidio of San Francisco as the Garrision Commander and that his wife has relatives in San Jose, CA.

His mural is at SWC in the SOAF, unless they moved it.
Old 10 April 2020, 20:36
Confirmed User

I saw MG Sidney Shachnow giving a speech at AUSA in DC in the 1990s. I sat in the back and thought he was tall. Later I bumped into him leaving the Pentagon Army Library. He was shorter than I thought.
Old 10 April 2020, 21:52
Authorized Personnel

I sat two rows behind JFK, at the dedication of the Dulles Airport. He could be considered a SF legend?
Old 10 April 2020, 23:51
Hard to Kill

Quote:

COL Donlon lives in Leavenworth. After 9/11 I was assigned there for almost 3 years and I saw him several times. He sat and ate lunch with me once and the next time I saw him, he was standing with several (numerous) GO's and I walk in the PX outer lobby and he sees me, smiles and waves me over. Just what I need, another GO LOR. He smacks me on the back and says to the GO's "Well gentlemen, I have to run..." and he and I walk off to the food court. We sit long enough for them to disperse and he shakes my hand, thanks me for helping him break contact and says "An artillery officer would have messed that up." What a tremendous guy. His health has not been good lately, Godspeed Sir.

My other SF Hero is COL Bob Howard. Shook his hand as well. Very Humble and extremely expereinced warrior. Rest Peacefully, Sir. I will always tell your story.

Last but not least, MSG Laurence "Tiny" Young. My first Tm Sgt, just for a minute. I had the greatest respect for him, another Son Tay Raider. Tiny died of Cancer from Agent Orange at 63, I believe. Rest Peacefully Tiny. You are not forgotten.
Old 18 April 2020, 13:44

Roy Benavidez was the speaker at my Q course Graduation. It was an honor to meet him.

Before I went to the Q course, I got to jump out of Chinook with Col Bob Howard and took a picture with him on the DZ. He was visiting Korea and attending 2nd ID LRSU Detachment activation jump. He was a great guy and you could tell he loved being with soldiers.
Old 21 April 2020, 11:40
Confirmed User

Quote:

I met Colonel Donlon in the exact same way. He was selling his book "Beyond Nam Dong" at a special operations conference held at a hotel in Fayetteville in April 1999. During a briefing I wasn't interested in I visited the room where he was set up. We talked for a long time and he mentioned that his son was serving in Bosnia. I had fielded a few hundred up-armored HMMWV's in Bosnia and I think his son was probably out riding in them. I bought a book that he autographed and kept the sales receipt as a reminder. We departed with him thanking me and that just felt awkward as it didn't compare to his own actions. That book sits right above my computer and I treasure it for that conversation.
Old 4 October 2020, 21:27
Confirmed User

Col. Howard, Col. Rowe, Maj. Meadows, CSM Jokovenko, CSM Strahan, CSM Foreman and CSM Lupyak. Met all of them and drank beer with a few.

CSM Strahan was the Battalion Command Sergeant Major for two years. Impressive guy.
Old 4 October 2020, 22:07
Authorized Personnel

In Tampa you never know who you are going to meet in the strangest places. There have been the guys you meet that you grew up reading about like SGM Waugh, GEN Schoomaker, and COL J. Johnson. Then there are the guys that you meet/ work with that you can call anytime and they are there like most guys I know on this board and one in particular is CSM Rick Lamb.
Old 4 October 2020, 22:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
Roy Benavidez was the speaker at my Q course Graduation. It was an honor to meet him.

Before I went to the Q course, I got to jump out of Chinook with Col Bob Howard and took a picture with him on the DZ. He was visiting Korea and attending 2nd ID LRSU Detachment activation jump. He was a great guy and you could tell he loved being with soldiers.
I met him in the mid 80’s at an NCO social function. Hell of a story
he had.

Dick Meadows boy was a Plt Ldr in 1st Batt while I was there.

ETA: Anyone that went to MFF my era knew Frank Norbury.
Old 7 October 2020, 19:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
Therefore, we have never forgotten Admiral Eric T Olson commander of the SF command.

I just need to make a small correction so I can sleep tonight. The Admiral commanded United States Special Operations Command and NOT "SF Command" (Special Forces Command).
Old 8 October 2020, 19:47
Been There Done That

SF Legends I worked for/with...

Ola Mize;

Robert Howard;

Nick Rowe;

Andre Smith;

Tom Horn;

Don 'Corky' Shelton;

Ken Bowra;

Joe Lupyak;

Pappy Jones;

A bunch more, but CRS is kicking in.

On the GOFO side, I worked with Mike Repass and Ken Tovo when they were TLs in 5th and 10th Groups.
Old 12 October 2020, 18:17
I aim to misbehave

I drank a few beers with Tracy once. Does that count?

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules