SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 9 October 2020, 13:13
Confirmed User

A good SEAL story

Bravo Zulu, Mr. SEAL.

https://taskandpurpose.com/unsung-he...0for%20heroism.

I know those waters well (born and raised in Morehead City). The rips can be a real bitch.
Old 15 October 2020, 11:06
Been There Done That

Good for him. We need more people to get involved when rip currents switch on.

I literally rescue people from them in the OBX every summer, including a family of 8 last year- 6 of whom I managed to get out while they were still on their feet, then swam out to a father and teenage son and pulled them over to a sandbar. The son had gone completely catatonic with fear. None of them even realized what was going on.

Sadly, no medal for me
Old 15 October 2020, 15:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Good for him. We need more people to get involved when rip currents switch on.

I literally rescue people from them in the OBX every summer, including a family of 8 last year- 6 of whom I managed to get out while they were still on their feet, then swam out to a father and teenage son and pulled them over to a sandbar. The son had gone completely catatonic with fear. None of them even realized what was going on.

Sadly, no medal for me
Great story in the link and above. Good on you Mako!

How deep does the water have to be before the rip kicks in? And, how deep before it's irrecoverable? Does depth even matter?
Old 15 October 2020, 19:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
Great story in the link and above. Good on you Mako!

How deep does the water have to be before the rip kicks in? And, how deep before it's irrecoverable? Does depth even matter?
I went to college at East Carolina University, which is only about an hour and a half from the coast. In my summers I would lifeguard on the coast, near where this happened. It is my experience that somewhere around thigh deep was enough to get kids and small adults in trouble, waste deep and deeper? Even good swimmers would get in trouble.

I know that area well where this happened, is close to a fairly deep channel for large ships, and the currents can be a little unpredictable. What he did is tough for most mortals, for him it was damn heroic.
Old 19 October 2020, 12:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I went to college at East Carolina University, which is only about an hour and a half from the coast. In my summers I would lifeguard on the coast, near where this happened. It is my experience that somewhere around thigh deep was enough to get kids and small adults in trouble, waste deep and deeper? Even good swimmers would get in trouble.

I know that area well where this happened, is close to a fairly deep channel for large ships, and the currents can be a little unpredictable. What he did is tough for most mortals, for him it was damn heroic.
Good to know, thank you.

Our new posting rules