SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 14 September 2018, 07:37
BTDT

OnePlus 5T

My 5 year old Nexus 5 GPS went wonky. Taking my own advice, since the Nexus Program is gone (RIP) I grabbed a OnePlus 5T for $459. Great phone. The Stock Oxygen OS has zero bloatware and is damn close to Stock Android, with just enough modification (the good ones that every nerd does anyway).

fastboot oem unlock and flashed Magisk to root it using blu_spark TWRP = perfection.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...-twrp-t3704592

blu-spark TWRP:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/dev...t/dl/?id=30332
Old 14 September 2018, 08:05
I still think I'm fooling everyone

I use OnePlus 3T, bought it immediately when it came out. Damn fine phone, even though the mono speaker leaves lots to be desired. So far the manufacturer security updates are coming in. No bullshit overlays, no additional software. Clean as a baby and open for tweaking.

Then there's OnePlus 6...still with mono speaker. And the fingerprint reader unfortunately went to the back which for me is a huge issue.
Having said that, I definitely find overwhelmingly more pluses than minuses with my phone, especially when it comes to build quality.
Also, Dash charge works relatively well. I didn't keep a log and measure the voltages/amperage during use, but after >1 year of constant use the phone holds charge more or less as good as when I bought it.

OnePlus is still a pretty attractive proposition when compared to other brands, especially when it comes to the price.

For whoever's interested, here are the specs for OnePlus phones, including SAR values.
Old 14 September 2018, 08:35
BTDT

Yeah, diff people have diff requirements - for me, I'm 99% BT or Speaker Jack (still has that!) for my audio - If I need the mono speaker, I don't care what it sounds like.

The only thing I use the Fingerprint Sensor for, is to take pictures - no way I'm using it for security - there's no 4th Amendment protection against somebody pressing your finger - you leave prints everywhere

The only thing I don't like (I think) is the removal of Full Disk Encryption and the implementation of File Based Encryption. Now, I realize that iOS does the same thing, but I had a warm and fuzzy with older Android builds having separate (using cryptfs) pre-boot and screen lock passwords. My pre-boot was something like 40 characters, random. Now you get 16 characters max. But 16 random using full ascii is still a few trillion years to brute force - just make sure it truly is random, and you've never used it anywhere else.
Old 14 September 2018, 09:55

Yep, 3,5mm jack is definitely a big plus for me. As to the speakers, in my case it's more looking for an issue when there's none (or at least not something big).

As to the reader, the pluses for me were acceptable level of security against common thief plus ease of use, just put my thumb on it and all is unlocked. A brief respite from neverending typing of PINs, passwords or drawing patterns.

All of this is, like you wrote, different flavors for different people. All OnePluses are IMO fine phones (especially for the price).

Some people bash OnePlus 6 for having a screen notch, didn't try it can't comment it.

I was eyeing Galaxy Note or Pixel XL recently, maybe Mate Pro too. All have their drawbacks and are, at least in Poland, pricier (or in case of the Pixel, insanely pricier) than OnePlus.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:28
BTDT

I just saw that the cheapest new iPhone will be $1100.... Efffffff Thaaaaaat!!!! OnePlus is the new Nexus IMO - gets you 90% of the way to top of the line, for less than half the cost.

Since minute 1 after rooting, I've had Proton VPN connecting to the fastest US server at boot - so far I haven't noticed any usability slowdown. I envision never having one bit of data ever being seen by Comcast or AT&T (I use a StraightTalk SIM) on this phone (at least not directly tied to my accounts).
Old 14 September 2018, 11:52

Thanks for the info about Proton. I was curious how it behaves on 1+

BTW seems that Oneplus has no problem with honoring warranty after root, unless you overclock the hardware.

Quote:
The technical process of rooting or unlocking the bootloader does not void the warranty of a OnePlus device. However, we strongly suggest for you to only root or unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus device if you are confident in your understanding of the risks involved.
By accessing resources regularly unavailable to the software, you may damage your hardware during or after the procedure. Such damage is not covered under warranty. In warranty handling, we will first need to verify that any faulty behavior is unrelated to rooting / unlocking.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:00
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
Thanks for the info about Proton. I was curious how it behaves on 1+

BTW seems that Oneplus has no problem with honoring warranty after root, unless you overclock the hardware.
They provide the ADB drivers for Windows, OSX and Linux, right on the phone! I'm impressed so far. Android 9 (Pie) is rumored to have some more security upgrades related to encryption coming (2 factor) IIRC. It would be cool to have to enter a password *and* provide an NFC Yubikey - which the new "Direct Boot" encryption would allow. Something you have, something you know. I just wish they would change the 16 character limit - which they can do - a guy on XDA was able to build a version that accepted 100 characters.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I just saw that the cheapest new iPhone will be $1100.... Efffffff Thaaaaaat!!!! OnePlus is the new Nexus IMO - gets you 90% of the way to top of the line, for less than half the cost.
That's insane. I think I'll stick with my Jitterbug flip phone.
Old 14 September 2018, 14:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
That's insane. I think I'll stick with my Jitterbug flip phone.
A little correction, I was talking about the cheapest XS Max - if you want an XS or XR, they're cheaper:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/he...xs-max-and-xr/
Old 14 September 2018, 18:31
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
My 5 year old Nexus 5 GPS went wonky. Taking my own advice, since the Nexus Program is gone (RIP) I grabbed a OnePlus 5T for $459. Great phone. The Stock Oxygen OS has zero bloatware and is damn close to Stock Android, with just enough modification (the good ones that every nerd does anyway).
I'm fast approaching end of life with my own Nexus 5 after 4+ years. Man this puppy has done everything I've needed with ease. I've almost bought a 5T a few times, even going so far as to cancel an Amazon order after I placed it.

You probably know, but just in case you don't, Lineage OS (successor to CyanogenMod) has a build for the 5T.
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/dumpling

Keep pumping info about this, I'll be using it someday.
Old 15 September 2018, 07:18
BTDT

Yeah, I usually go Lineage, but Oxygen got such rave reviews I decided to start with it. XDA had a comparison, and OOS came out on top (my take):

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...ageos-t3812604

I don't know if it's the Android version (8.1 Oreo), or OOS specific, but OOS has the "Privacy Guard" features of CM/Lineage - I've already disabled Camera, Mic, and Location for a bunch of apps.

My SIM Card cutter comes in today, since the N5 has a Micro SIM (I didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering a Nano SIM and switching over through StraightTalk) so I'll cut the Micro and finally try out LTE - I got the International 5T, but the US LTE Bands are in there... so the specs say!
Old 15 September 2018, 14:26
Been There Done That

So, can I root this thing and use it on Verizon?
Old 15 September 2018, 15:22

Root yes, Verizon might be more problematic...
Apparently same goes for 6T which seems to be compatible for AT&T, T-Mobile and US Cellular only.
Old 16 September 2018, 00:06
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Yeah, I usually go Lineage, but Oxygen got such rave reviews I decided to start with it. XDA had a comparison, and OOS came out on top (my take):

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...ageos-t3812604

I don't know if it's the Android version (8.1 Oreo), or OOS specific, but OOS has the "Privacy Guard" features of CM/Lineage - I've already disabled Camera, Mic, and Location for a bunch of apps.

My SIM Card cutter comes in today, since the N5 has a Micro SIM (I didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering a Nano SIM and switching over through StraightTalk) so I'll cut the Micro and finally try out LTE - I got the International 5T, but the US LTE Bands are in there... so the specs say!
I'll have to give OxygenOS a shot when I get a OnePlus.

My service is AT&T post-paid, so I'll just get a nano SIM from them when the time comes.
Old 16 September 2018, 09:11
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
So, can I root this thing and use it on Verizon?
No, GSM Only. There's some legacy CDMA Bands in there, but it won't work from what read. I'm on StraightTalk using AT&T Towers and just activated a new Nano SIM (My SIM Cutter got delayed, so I said F it and got a Nano from ST and just transferred service online - took 2 minutes tops) - getting 20Mbs on LTE *going through* Proton VPN on a US Server.

StraightTalk is $45 for unlimited (first 10GB at LTE then throttled - I never go through 10GB) - with tax it's ~$50/Month.

They have a $55 truly unlimited option. I looked around when I got the 5T in case there was something better - I couldn't find any better plans for Price/Data Speed/GB.

OP made ONE version of the phone - so it truly works all over the planet - on GSM.
Old 16 September 2018, 09:15
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
I'll have to give OxygenOS a shot when I get a OnePlus.

My service is AT&T post-paid, so I'll just get a nano SIM from them when the time comes.
I think you'll like it. WiFi radio blows awway the N5 (obviously - its 5 years newer ) and LTE seems faster too. Check Amazon for OnePlus 5T Midight Black International - they won't be around forever. I paid $459, but I think the same seller is at $469 now...

The seller selling a US Version for $489 may be on crack - from what I read, there is only one version of the phone, with every band included? My Intnl version is on LTE right now (StraightTalk/AT&T).
Old 18 September 2018, 19:36
Confirmed User

Should I Buy The Samsung Galaxy S9 (Unlocked) Or The Samsung Galaxy S9 (Verizon)?

I am giving some thought to buying a Samsung Galaxy S9. I am currently on Total Wireless, which is a Verizon MVNO. At some point in the future, I will probably switch to Cricket, which is an AT&T MVNO. With that in mind, should I get an unlocked version or the Verizon version?

Would things like wifi calling and VoLTE work equally well on either version?
Old 19 September 2018, 07:14
BTDT

Never owned a Samsung, or a CDMA phone, but I see you started another thread since it isn't a OP5T.
Old 8 October 2018, 21:00
Calix Meus Inebrians

Went ahead and got a 5T earlier than planned...had hoped to use the Nexus 5 through the rest of the year, but the phone app went tits up, and instead of wiping it and starting fresh, I said screw it and got a OnePlus 5T. Liking the functionality so far, but damn this size is going to take some getting used to.

Poly, what cases caught your fancy for it? I picked up this to start, but I'm far from in love with it (and the belt mount is useless to me).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 9 October 2018, 09:02
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Went ahead and got a 5T earlier than planned...had hoped to use the Nexus 5 through the rest of the year, but the phone app went tits up, and instead of wiping it and starting fresh, I said screw it and got a OnePlus 5T. Liking the functionality so far, but damn this size is going to take some getting used to.

Poly, what cases caught your fancy for it? I picked up this to start, but I'm far from in love with it (and the belt mount is useless to me).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm a Spigen guy, so went with the Rugged Armor

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugged...tough+armor+5t

As you know by now, it has a factory applied screen protector. I like glass though so found 2 "case friendly" glass protectors - the curved screen can cause problems with case/protector combos (btdt). Went with the SUPTMAX from this page:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...reen+protector

Broke TWO! MoKo's alignment is about 1mm off on the left and bottom, but it's good enough for me and the case doesn't bother it.

This DASH Car Charger works, and comes with a cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Charger-...sh+car+charger

And plugging the factory wall charger/cable into this, also still DASH charges:

https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Charm...neplus+5t+dock

50% to 100% in about 20 minutes, blows my mind - it's the fastest charging system out there.

Our new posting rules