SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 1 June 2019, 00:29
The atomic zit

Question

Today’s observations based on my hernia surgery:

The woman that checked me in had “Secretary” on the ID.

The woman that took my pre-surgery vitals had “Assistant Nurse/Secretary” on her ID.

The woman that wheeled my out had “Assistant Nurse” on her ID.

I spoke to the woman that took my vitals and asked her about her title. Apparently she takes vitals as well as does secretarial work. I could tell by her response she was not too happy to be doing double duty. Is this typical, the double duty part?

For a little perspective, there was a surgeon, an anesthetician, at least one registered nurse maybe two, and a certified anesthetician’s assistant in the OR.

Is the fact that there are nurses assistances who also pick up secretarial duties an indication of a lack of personnel in this field question?

I was at WakeMed’s main campus.
Old 1 June 2019, 09:55
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Today’s observations based on my hernia surgery:

The woman that checked me in had “Secretary” on the ID.

The woman that took my pre-surgery vitals had “Assistant Nurse/Secretary” on her ID.

The woman that wheeled my out had “Assistant Nurse” on her ID.

I spoke to the woman that took my vitals and asked her about her title. Apparently she takes vitals as well as does secretarial work. I could tell by her response she was not too happy to be doing double duty. Is this typical, the double duty part?

For a little perspective, there was a surgeon, an anesthetician, at least one registered nurse maybe two, and a certified anesthetician’s assistant in the OR.

Is the fact that there are nurses assistances who also pick up secretarial duties an indication of a lack of personnel in this field question?

I was at WakeMed’s main campus.

The Double Duty thing is something that a lot of hospitals are trying/using.
It's not a case of not enough folks qualified. It's a case of stretching that dollar.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Compare and Contrast my recent surgery to yours. A *concierge* surgical center. No insurance is accepted. Cash only.

Scheduled 2 weeks in advance over the phone. Paid my $300 deposit, over the phone.

Pre surgical visit, Already filled out forms prior-to. Gal's at the desk were easy to talk with and didn't seem at all stressed. All were sitting on some kinda inflatable bouncy looking thing instead of chairs. Saw the Doc performing the surgery in and out the door in 45 minutes, including paying up my balance.

Next morning 0800, intake, met my nurse. I was with her all the way up to entering the OR. Same Nurse did pre-op and post-op/PACU. Same nurse also wheeled me out to my car, @ 1030.
OR was staffed like any normal OR and looked very-well equipped albeit not a huge room.

Anesthesia; CRNA. Met him just prior-to. Lights out, lights on. No muss or fuss.

Wife in tow, was given two (nice) ice bags, all the meds I would need for a Month; 2 different pain meds, ABX., and Sublingual Arnica. Also given a surgical support device.

All one money. Doc, pre/post checkout, surgery, Anesthesia, meds and care, all inclusive.

Total $5500 for one scheduled and one unplanned add-on surgery. The place ran like a well oiled machine and was IMO awesome.
Old 1 June 2019, 15:07
Sub Rosa

My recent stay at a local hospital in Pinellas County was very good as it relates too staffing. I had an assigned nurse and an assigned tech, throughout the 3-days I was in. They had 12-hour shifts, and were exceptionally good at addressing my concerns, like more pain meds at 3:00 am, and were always pleasant. My hospitalist saw me each day and spent time to make sure I was comfortable with the treatment and with answering questions. My surgeon came in twice and as always was efficient and answered questions. IMO, I'd give the medical staff and A+ and from my perspective they were adequately staffed.

Because my treating hospital is in a suburban middle to upper middle class neighborhood, I suspect its highly desirable for medical personnel to work this location, so I wouldn't be surprised if this same level of treatment is missing in other locations like rural or poorer urban locations. I can imagine, based upon my pain and discomfort level, that getting treatment in an understaffed and over worked facility can become extremely uncomfortable.
Old 25 June 2019, 04:36

Sounds like a lot of the same issues that bedevil law enforcement. (Or almost any job, for that matter)

To attract and retain good people you have to have competitive pay and benefits, competent supervision and leadership, and to try to avoid hiring people who run on negative energy and bitch all the time and contaminate the work environment with their toxicity.
Old 25 June 2019, 09:26
Authorized Personnel

I get another cancellation of appointment from the VA. Seems another Doctor doesn't want to put up with the VA bullshit and quit. This has happened several times in the last few years.

It's hard to find folks that want to fill a slot that is overworked to start with.

Maybe another coat of wax, shiny always looks good.
Old 25 June 2019, 17:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8822 View Post
Sounds like a lot of the same issues that bedevil law enforcement. (Or almost any job, for that matter)

To attract and retain good people you have to have competitive pay and benefits, competent supervision and leadership, and to try to avoid hiring people who run on negative energy and bitch all the time and contaminate the work environment with their toxicity.
You ain't kidding. Our youngest son does technology support and is pretty darn good at it. In the past the title used to be computer technician. and that's just what you did, support computers. Now technology support encompasses, hardware, software, printers, networking and anything else under the sun. He just recently left a local credit union that has 3 branch offices. It was just him and his boss to provide technology support to all branches. In his exit interview he told them unless they bump up the salary for the position. It will just be a revolving door for them. His boss told him she understood the salary thing, but her hands were tied. A couple of days later my son sees his position posted on the Indeed site. The salary they were posting was less than he was making.
Old 16 July 2019, 17:35
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
A couple of days later my son sees his position posted on the Indeed site. The salary they were posting was less than he was making.
I know of a medical provider who worked for a place for 20 years and the company didn’t renew his contract.. (usually comes up every 2-4 years). The reason given was that he made too much and they could get a less experienced provider in there cheaper to provide the same level of care.

I mean, what a load of horse shit. Even in medicine, this kind of corporate BS think happens. When they do this to people with specific skills and knowledge, who gave 20 years, it makes me wonder where we are headed.

I keep hearing there’s a “shortage,” but I sure don’t see any shortage other than patient overloads and bean counters not wanting to pay for additional providers to share the workload.

Last edited by justamedic; 16 July 2019 at 17:38. Reason: ETA last sentence
Old 16 July 2019, 18:54
I reckon so. . .

Graph says it all (same in education as well). Admin growth far outweighs SME growth.

Old 18 July 2019, 05:22
Take care

Yeah we’re fucked. For every one person going to medical school, PA school, or NP school there are 100 going to school tell them how to be physicians, PAs, and NPs... and RNs for that matter.

I don’t regret my decision to pursue medicine, but like everything else, once you’re in and see the politics and bullshit you just shake your head.
Old 18 July 2019, 06:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
I get another cancellation of appointment from the VA. Seems another Doctor doesn't want to put up with the VA bullshit and quit. This has happened several times in the last few years.

It's hard to find folks that want to fill a slot that is overworked to start with.
Just saw the 'new' VA Doctor. After I explained that I was seeing a civilian Doc for the same ailment, he asks 'what the hell do you want me to do? I guess there is a resentment if a second opinion is offered.

As my wife was with me, her cooler head continues the discussion as to why the previous VA Doc didn't prescribe the same medicine as the civ. Answers reminded me of a politician backed into a corner.

The VA continues to be a clown show, it's a wonder that more guys aren't dying at their hands.

I'd bet good money this new guy will not be there for my next visit.
Old 18 July 2019, 08:50
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Yeah we’re fucked. For every one person going to medical school, PA school, or NP school there are 100 going to school tell them how to be physicians, PAs, and NPs... and RNs for that matter.

I don’t regret my decision to pursue medicine, but like everything else, once you’re in and see the politics and bullshit you just shake your head.
Oh, they're not telling them how do do their job. Those admin fucks are telling the Administrators how they can save BIG-bucks by short-sheeting every position within the facilities. Except the admins of course.

And that is only a part of it.

I could go on. LOL.

Our new posting rules