SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 January 2020, 10:19
Confirmed User

I sit corrected, he was at TT for 9 season and I was thinking of their best seasons as being his only seasons there. He was the coach from 2000-2009.
During that time, they had three 9 win seasons (2002, 05, 07) and one 11 win season (2008). It was during that best 11 win season that they lost to a 9-4 Ole Miss, 47-34.
During that time, TT lead the NCAA in passing for 4 years in a row... so just having a prolific offense did not result in beating exhausted defenses.

At Wash St, in seven seasons, he had two 9 win seasons and two 9 loss seasons with one 11 win season in 2018 under grad transfer Gardner Minchew (1 season).

I think he will be great for entertaining games and having Kiffin in the same state will hysterical. He will win some games that he shouldn't but I don't think this will translate into playoff appearances.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 16 January 2020 at 10:28.
Old 16 January 2020, 10:47
Confirmed User

Don't know if it is good or bad but Justin Fuente is staying at VT and did not take the Baylor Job. Last 48 hours has been a roller coaster for the Hokie Nation.
Program would have had a hard time finding a good coach this late in the coaching carousel.
Here to fall football, GO HOKIES!
Old 16 January 2020, 10:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I sit corrected, he was at TT for 9 season and I was thinking of their best seasons as being his only seasons there. He was the coach from 2000-2009.
During that time, they had three 9 win seasons (2002, 05, 07) and one 11 win season (2008). It was during that best 11 win season that they lost to a 9-4 Ole Miss, 47-34.
During that time, TT lead the NCAA in passing for 4 years in a row... so just having a prolific offense did not result in beating exhausted defenses.

At Wash St, in seven seasons, he had two 9 win seasons and two 9 loss seasons with one 11 win season in 2018 under grad transfer Gardner Minchew (1 season).

I think he will be great for entertaining games and having Kiffin in the same state will hysterical. He will win some games that he shouldn't but I don't think this will translate into playoff appearances.
The air raid defense does beat marginal or exhausted defenses. But every game is a n of 1, and shit happens, especially in post-season play. It's definitely not fool-proof or perfect; if your receivers are not catching balls or the QB is off 'that much' it's a long day.

Leach has interesting connections to one of my alma mater's, East Carolina Univ. His DC Ruffin MacNeill left TT to coach at ECU, MacNeill took Lincoln Riley with him for OC. Gardner Minchew was a QB at ECU under the air raid system. Now MacNeill works for Riley at Oklahoma.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:00
Been There Done That

So did anyone else notice that Joe Burrow essentially threw his teammates under the bus after the game?

Quote:
The money that Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. distributed on the field after LSU‘s national championship victory Monday was real, Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow said in a podcast interview released Wednesday and was reported by ESPN.com.

“I’m not a student-athlete anymore, so I can say yeah,” Burrow said on the most recent episode of Barstool Sports’ “Pardon My Take.”
source

Yeah - I want to share a locker room with someone like that....
Old 16 January 2020, 14:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Joe Burrow essentially threw his teammates under the bus after the game?
Not a very bright move. As far as I have seen, he's only one that stated that it was real. Everything else is speculation.

In other news, the N.O. PD wanted sexual assault charges filed against OBJ for swatting the cop on the ass when the cop was trying to arrest the players for smoking the cigars in the locker room... Judge denied it so the warrant was issued as simple battery.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:20
Shakin' the bush Boss

I dislike OBJ greatly. Dudes like him are the reason I don't watch the NFL anymore.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I dislike OBJ greatly. Dudes like him are the reason I don't watch the NFL anymore.
Not fair that he rides the TV waves in football while Luke Kuechly retires early...
Old 16 January 2020, 17:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
So did anyone else notice that Joe Burrow essentially threw his teammates under the bus after the game?

source

They havent said what the money was for, so its pretty much a non story.
Old 16 January 2020, 18:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
They havent said what the money was for, so its pretty much a non story.
Yeah, no. Doesn't matter what it was for - Beckham's relationship to the program alone makes it problematic in the eyes of the NCAA. Add in the timing (on the field, on camera after LSU won) and your non-story is more of a story than LSU wants to deal with.
Old 16 January 2020, 19:03
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:

source

Quote:
Not a very bright move. As far as I have seen, he's only one that stated that it was real. Everything else is speculation.
That headline/summary is pretty misleading. If you listen to the podcast, he wasn't commenting on the money OBJ handed out to everyone else...just the money OBJ gave HIM when they went out in New Orleans later that night.

That being said, LSU had already made the decision to get out in front of it to avoid any hint of a coverup. Burrow wasn't the first, by any stretch, to comment on the money being real. He gave nothing away that wasn't already known. And being truthful is never a bad policy to begin with.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 16 January 2020, 19:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
He will win some games that he shouldn't but I don't think this will translate into playoff appearances.
Could very well be the case. However, I do believe hell be able to get a team into the playoff at some point.

Hes won a lot of big games against great teams with significantly less talent on his roster. That 200& win against Texas was a big time W, the Longhorns were #1 in every poll at the time.

Either way, Im looking forward to watching the Bulldogs
Old 16 January 2020, 20:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yeah, no. Doesn't matter what it was for - Beckham's relationship to the program alone makes it problematic in the eyes of the NCAA. Add in the timing (on the field, on camera after LSU won) and your non-story is more of a story than LSU wants to deal with.
Yes the facts absolutely matter.
Old 16 January 2020, 21:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Yes the facts absolutely matter.
Of course they do. And in this case, the fact is that OBJ was caught on tape handing what appeared to be cash to more than one LSU player, on the field, after the game. After first claiming that it was fake cash, even LSU is now stating that it may well have been real.

And as I wrote previously, in the eyes of the NCAA that's a big deal.
Old 16 January 2020, 21:17
Shakin' the bush Boss

And he got charged with battery for patting a security guard on the ass. How fucking stupid is that?
Old 16 January 2020, 21:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Of course they do. And in this case, the fact is that OBJ was caught on tape handing what appeared to be cash to more than one LSU player, on the field, after the game. After first claiming that it was fake cash, even LSU is now stating that it may well have been real.

And as I wrote previously, in the eyes of the NCAA that's a big deal.
Handing someone money, in itself is not an NCAA violation. The NCAA had already approved of him giving gifts to the team so maybe, just maybe he is aware of what is and is not against the rules, and knew he wasnt doing something that would get someone in trouble. Of course I could be wrong, but thats why they do an investigation. Until that point, its no big deal. The NCAA is changing the rules on this anyway.

Our new posting rules