SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 August 2019, 10:25
Been There Done That

Let’s be honest - here is the sad reality - Representative only listen to constituents who donate at least over $10,000 to their campaign funds.
Old 17 August 2019, 10:29
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I dont think writing our representatives do much good. I get letters back months later with boiler plate responses. Issues are already over and done with..
In todays age of electronics, social media, email etc, there is too much getting to their staff to sort out.
Protests are the best in my opinion.
But, we generally all work here and dont get paid to show up on Capital Hills to protest issues at hand.

Do it anyway - takes minutes.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 17 August 2019, 10:29
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Let’s be honest - here is the sad reality - Representative only listen to constituents who donate at least over $10,000 to their campaign funds.
Call and write anyway - takes minutes.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 17 August 2019, 10:51
Authorized Personnel

One may not mean much, but a huge pile might get noticed.
Old 17 August 2019, 11:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Call and write anyway - takes minutes.
Oh trust me, I do. I am probably on many lists.
Old 17 August 2019, 15:18
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
But most of the article was about the victimization of the 14 year old. Not his lack of proper parenting, sad excuse for an education and most importantly, why he felt at 14 it was OK to break into an old man's house. While I admit it was unique for CNN, I am sure the Oh Woe Is Me part was added by the editor.
I posted this days ago in the "warzone chitcago" thread. The shitlibs are attempting to Zimmerman the old guy. The local virtue-cuck rag, the Chitcago Tribune, is busy drumming up sympathy for the dead shithead. Trying to lead all the suburban cuckservatives by the nose. How "he wuz a gud boy" and all the usual shameless lies. Problem is, the suburbs are turning to shit because of vermin like the dead shithead; there's absolutely ZERO reason that carload of shitheads should have been out there, in a stolen car no less, and everyone knows it. This is the hill to make the shitlibs die on.

On a happier note, the New Zealanders are resisting the stupid. https://reason.com/2019/07/08/noncom...control-scheme S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 17 August 2019, 16:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
On a happier note, the New Zealanders are resisting the stupid. https://reason.com/2019/07/08/noncom...control-scheme S/F....Ken M
I had not seen that article; awesome. This quote surprised me given the shitlib's argument of following Australia's example.

""In Australia it is estimated that only about 20% of all banned self-loading rifles have been given up to the authorities," wrote Franz Csaszar, professor of criminology at the University of Vienna, after Australia's 1996 compensated confiscation of firearms following a mass murder in Port Arthur, Tasmania. Csaszar put the number of illegally retained arms in Australia at between two and five million."
Old 17 August 2019, 16:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Quote:
Traditionally relaxed in its approach to firearms regulation, and enjoying a low crime rate, New Zealand has no firearms registration rule. That means authorities have no easy way of knowing what guns are in circulation or who owns them.

"These weapons are unlikely to be confiscated by police because they don't know of their existence," Philippa Yasbek of Gun Control NZ admitted. "These will become black-market weapons if their owners choose not to comply with the law and become criminals instead."
All the more reason to insist on registration and universal background checks before we try to make firearms illegal. How can you confiscate things when you don't know how many "things" you're trying to confiscate?
Old 17 August 2019, 17:16
Make a desert and call it peace.

Registry inevitably leads to confiscation. The only variable is time. There js no other purpose for registration. Hence the proper answer to the suggestion of registration is immediately executing said traitor via hanging. Pour encourager los autres. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 18 August 2019, 20:13
Going cyclic!!

Those of you in the Philly area, have you been following Maj Toure's run for city council? He's the guy behind 'Black guns matter'. Running as a Libertarian, but I really like his message. Strong 2A guy. GOA is endorsing him I think.
Check him out. Here's an interview with him.

https://breakermag.com/black-guns-ma...th-the-trumps/

Last edited by billdawg; 18 August 2019 at 20:19. Reason: added interview
Old 18 August 2019, 20:57
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
All the more reason to insist on registration and universal background checks before we try to make firearms illegal. How can you confiscate things when you don't know how many "things" you're trying to confiscate?
Ah. . .the recent New York case comes to mind. Homeowner being prosecuted for the handgun used in killing home invader due to not transferring registration of his late-Dads handgun into his own name.

Perfect!
Old 18 August 2019, 23:24
Take care

NRA vs AFC

Many of my personal friends are ditching support both vocally and monetarily for the NRA in favor of the American Firearms Coalition. This is mainly due to the NRA’s problems (from the top down) having been more mainstream, and NRA backed politicians becoming ever more leisurely with their restrictive ideas and language on the 2A and firearms.

The AFC appears to be a growing organization that is staunchly in the house of “shall not be infringed.” Don’t even give them an inch or they will take a mile, so to speak. They have a presence in DC and it seems they are making the rounds on The Hill.

I haven’t seen any mention here. I have not “joined” yet, and I am still a card carrying NRA member. I’m curious as to what other pro 2A folks have to say about the NRA vs AFC topic. I’m not on any other similar forums, so I thought I’d ask here.

Their website is here: https://www.americanfirearmscoalition.org/
Old 18 August 2019, 23:38
Confirmed User

I'm more than a little annoyed by all the folks that are bailing ship rather than gathering their pitchforks and taking back the organization.

Shit needs to change, but I really don't understand what giving up on the group is going to accomplish. Myself, I'm going to be on the floor in Nashville next year doing what I can. Not sure what good it will do, but at least I'll be doing something besides running away.
Old 19 August 2019, 00:56
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
I'm more than a little annoyed by all the folks that are bailing ship rather than gathering their pitchforks and taking back the organization.

Shit needs to change, but I really don't understand what giving up on the group is going to accomplish. Myself, I'm going to be on the floor in Nashville next year doing what I can. Not sure what good it will do, but at least I'll be doing something besides running away.
The question must also be asked: can that cat be put back in the bag? How do we “take back” corporate greed and malfeasance? Honest questions- not rhetorical...

The NRA is essentially a mega-corp now. With reports like LaPierre’s wife spending tens of thousands on hair and make up from the pockets of NRA donors and members...people want to see their money go elsewhere. Whether that report is 100% or 1% accurate, every dollar put in by members should be going to support & protect the 2A.

Also, (let’s face it) if they are doing anything at all, some/most 2A Americans aren’t doing anything but putting their money into the NRA that’s supposed to do the fighting for them. You are one of the few taking the fight to them, an honorable move.
In other business ventures (like Levi, Nike, Gillet, etc.) people are told to vote with their dollars and not to spend their cash on companies that put out anti-American, anti-2A, or other unfavorable sentiments in the name of “social justice.”

Additionally, perhaps more than just one “big gun” lobby is not a bad idea altogether.

Those are just my thoughts. Thanks for the reply.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
The question must also be asked: can that cat be put back in the bag? How do we “take back” corporate greed and malfeasance?

I honestly don't know, but I've put too much of my life's energy into the NRA to just walk away from it.

We have to fix the bylaws, though, and get power back in the hands of the board. But you have to be engaged in order to do that.

Heck, even fox news was calling out Wayne tonight: https://video.foxnews.com/v/60742440...#sp=show-clips

Maybe he gets the message and goes away, maybe not. Either way, when its all said and done, we need people around who will pick up the pieces and carry on. If all the good guys bail, what are we going to get when the smoke clears?
Old 19 August 2019, 03:20
Legal Immigrant

Competition is good. It makes organisations work harder to get your money.
Old 19 August 2019, 08:08
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Competition is good. It makes organisations work harder to get your money.
yep
Old 19 August 2019, 10:28
Been There Done That

I’m fine with letting the NRA sink. The organization has not been honest with its members who just bought a $6million house for Wayne. In fact, it seems like they are not even interested in keeping their members happy anymore. There is a lot of corruption, and they are not even standing up for gun rights. They are doing nothing for us, but they have convinced us that we need to buy their duffel bag to protect 2A. I’m much happier with GOA.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:30
BTDT

I am only an NRA member these days because it doesn't cost much and waning numbers make anti gunners more likely to attack on multiple fronts. I pretend I am only paying for the magazine subscription.

At the root - I think the NRA sucks lately. I don't like the spam emails. I don't like the empty talk, I don't like the public infighting, and I don't like the fact that they seem to do very little PUBLICLY to defend themselves (and by association - ALL gun owners).

Sure - I get plenty of email telling me the world is ending and the curtain is closing on my gun rights - but I'd rather they spend that effort trying to convert the nonbelievers instead of singing about gun rights in an echo chamber.
...meanwhile, later this year, I'll cut them another check to renew my magazine subscription - maybe get a free hat that I can sell for 2 bucks at a yard sale.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 19 August 2019, 11:37
Clorox bearer for SOTB

The NRA has always stood up for the hunters and sportsmen. That's it. They are more than happy advocating gun laws as long as they can call them shit like "common sense" or "you don't need that to hunt with"... This is why I stopped supporting them. They only stand for the 2nd when it gets them popularity and money.

If they came out against ALL gun laws, because we all know that is what "shall not be infringed" really means, I'd be all for them. But, they don't. So, I don't.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"

Our new posting rules