SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 May 2014, 04:43
Overseas Gunplumber

Blackwater Guards To Be Tried

Ok, all bullshit aside, this is ridiculous. It has been almost 7 years since this happened. A Federal judge dismissed charges against one of them due to statute of limitation concerns.

Only one of them is being charged with murder, while the others are being charged with manslaughter. As I recall the entire crime scene was a goat fuck and totally contaminated.

Even more disgusting is that they are going after these guys, but "dude Benghazi was like 2 years ago".

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...harge-23657827

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 11 May 2014, 05:11
BTDT

...its all about the victims.

On one hand you have a US ambassador killed over a religiously sensitive youtube video.
On the other, an Iraqi civilian killed purely so that Darth Chaney could put bloody oil money in his evil capitalist bank account.

Clearly you see the importance of what is going on here? War profiteers must be punished.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 11 May 2014, 08:43
All Labs Matter

There is no statute of limitations on a 1st degree murder charge.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
Ok, all bullshit aside, this is ridiculous. It has been almost 7 years since this happened. A Federal judge dismissed charges against one of them due to statute of limitation concerns.
As a general rule, the statute of limitation for a crime is usually comparable to the maximum sentence for said crime. It may vary from state to state as well as the Feds.

In Massachusetts we have a minimum statute of limitations for lower level offenses of 6 years and no limit for murder since the maxim imam sentence is life.

Last edited by Macka; 11 May 2014 at 09:21.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:06
Confirmed User

the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C........
So unAmerican
Old 11 May 2014, 09:10
Been There Done That

How are they supposed to receive due process if the crime scene is on a battlefield and the host nation witnesses are coerced by their government?

This is utter bullshit and probably linked to a civil suit.

Big surprise the US attorney in DC came from one of the law firms doing "pro bono" work at Guantanamo and is a coworker with Jamie Gorelick.

Last edited by IrishSoldier; 11 May 2014 at 09:21.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:13
Been There Done That

The only thing that's bullshit is the number of people also responsible that walked away from it all with no repercussion, others, state dept personnel, and former BW management. This should have been tied up with a bow right after the incident, might want to revisit instituting UCMJ and summary processes for PMC in any theatre of war.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:44
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
On one hand you have a US ambassador killed over a religiously sensitive youtube video.
No.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 11 May 2014, 10:14
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
No.
yes...
POTUS and DOS said so
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 11 May 2014, 10:26
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

The trial -- and subsequent punishment (hopefully there is), is long overdue....
Old 11 May 2014, 10:37
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
The trial -- and subsequent punishment (hopefully there is), is long overdue....
Hater.

In all seriousness, I wasn't there for that event and have no special insight, but I witnessed enough ridiculous behavior in other events (dudes just itching to get trigger time, and sometimes creating their own problem just so they could) that I certainly won't automatically jump to these guys' defense.

What's the PMC equivalent of the the Thin Blue Line?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 11 May 2014, 12:25
Administrator

Regardless of the actions of those invovled in this incident, it's striking if you compare this against Benghazi. Blood on the hands of Hillary Clinton, the President, SecDef and a a host of others.

Guess Iraqi blood is more valuable than American blood...

I'm amazed by the poor leadership displayed by those who Slatten reported to. Just one payback comment should have gotten him fired. The fact he repeated it as well as the other allegations indicates some serious problems with leaders at state and BW.

The icing on the cake is whether he was one of those who thought it was cool to get a BW tatoo. IMO anyone who did is automatically disqualified from ever working on any project I'm associated with. Lol
Old 11 May 2014, 15:53
Overseas Gunplumber

My comparison was simply this. I have no idea if they did or didn't do anything wrong. But the entire thing was botched from the legal standpoint. Crime scene was trashed, witnesses, etc... had it been dealt with quickly and efficiently from the beginning and had the USG actually done something I may have been ok with it, but they didn't. And my feeling is that they only took action due to politics.

My mentioning of Benghazi was in reference to the fact that 4 Americans were killed almost 2 years ago and no one on our side has been held accountable. Yet, we are still trying to go after 4 Americans who may or may not have acted unlawfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Regardless of the actions of those invovled in this incident, it's striking if you compare this against Benghazi. Blood on the hands of Hillary Clinton, the President, SecDef and a a host of others.

Guess Iraqi blood is more valuable than American blood...

I'm amazed by the poor leadership displayed by those who Slatten reported to. Just one payback comment should have gotten him fired. The fact he repeated it as well as the other allegations indicates some serious problems with leaders at state and BW.

The icing on the cake is whether he was one of those who thought it was cool to get a BW tatoo. IMO anyone who did is automatically disqualified from ever working on any project I'm associated with. Lol

Old 11 May 2014, 15:57
Overseas Gunplumber

If you read the article, the guy mentioned was being charged with manslaughter. After a federal judge dismissed that charge based on statute of limitation concerns, they then decided to use the murder charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
As a general rule, the statute of limitation for a crime is usually comparable to the maximum sentence for said crime. It may vary from state to state as well as the Feds.

In Massachusetts we have a minimum statute of limitations for lower level offenses of 6 years and no limit for murder since the maxim imam sentence is life.

Old 11 May 2014, 16:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
My comparison was simply this. I have no idea if they did or didn't do anything wrong. But the entire thing was botched from the legal standpoint. Crime scene was trashed, witnesses, etc... had it been dealt with quickly and efficiently from the beginning and had the USG actually done something I may have been ok with it, but they didn't. And my feeling is that they only took action due to politics.

My mentioning of Benghazi was in reference to the fact that 4 Americans were killed almost 2 years ago and no one on our side has been held accountable. Yet, we are still trying to go after 4 Americans who may or may not have acted unlawfully.
Not sure why you quoted me and posted this. I didn't comment on anything you said.
Old 11 May 2014, 16:42
Overseas Gunplumber

SB,

I guess I misunderstood your previous post above.

Old 12 May 2014, 09:17
BTDT

This whole thing started under the Bush admin, correct? Sacrificial lambs so the contractor war machine could keep making $$$'s after a SOFA was signed - Ooops, no SOFA. And like everything else, the current admin ran with it (Like the Drake prosecution, etc...) because a bunch of DA's/AAG's want to make names for themselves.

Just like that former Ranger in jail for interrogation in A-Stan ...all while places like Camp NAMA were in full swing. Or entire occupied apartment buildings being leveled to try and get one guy.

They're all a blight on humanity.

These guys? Yeah, no automatic defense here either, cuz amateurs were all over the place over there... but this is political scape goating run amok, if you ask me.
Old 12 May 2014, 11:38
Plank Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
These guys? Yeah, no automatic defense here either, cuz amateurs were all over the place over there... but this is political scape goating run amok, if you ask me.
As one who ran the WPPS guys through the vetting process down in Moyock, the bolded statement is SO fucking dead on!
Yes, even a Coastie could see that BW was sending people over there that had zero business watching anyone's back. Most were pretty solid but some were downright scary! They were advertising the positions on Monster for crying out loud.
Old 12 May 2014, 13:41
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
cuz amateurs were all over the place over there... but this is political scape goating run amok, if you ask me.
Polypro..... No shit DEC 2003, there I was at Moyock and I was in a class to head over on the Bremer Detail.... and yes, the senior trainer asked the class "Who here hasn't shot an M-4 carbine before?" .. guys actually raised their hands...... Immediately I knew I was in the wrong room.... (then there was created 3CGI, as it was referred to then, they called and pulled me out of that train wreck !!!, and that was that, thank God).

Wrongs being wrongs, I still think it is beyond fucked up to used protected statements in the prosecutions.......
Old 12 May 2014, 14:08
Been There Done That

Ego was the biggest problem, top to bottom this is what's really behind just about every major debacle the company faced. Amateur might have gone hand in hand with some of that but more often it was the opposite.

There was also courage and exceptional actions taken by BW personnel, a lot of it.

Our new posting rules