SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 August 2019, 20:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Do you think his teammates who testified against him and said there was no attack at all were lying?
If you are asking me, I have no idea.

The government's actions regarding compelled statements (Garrity/Kalkines issues) were the reason the US District Court Judge dismissed the case - the link is back on page 3. The previous administration put a lot of pressure to move this forward.
Old 14 August 2019, 20:31
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
If you are asking me, I have no idea.

The government's actions regarding compelled statements (Garrity/Kalkines issues) were the reason the US District Court Judge dismissed the case - the link is back on page 3. The previous administration put a lot of pressure to move this forward.
#benghazi
Old 15 August 2019, 08:41
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
They re-tried him and finally got a conviction.
If the 2nd Amendment is becoming as easy for the feds to ignore as the 10th, why not the 5th?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 15 August 2019, 09:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
If the 2nd Amendment is becoming as easy for the feds to ignore as the 10th, why not the 5th?
Brother,
IMHO, you win the Internet for the day.
I am uneasy about overzealous prosecutors. The US District Court Judge dismissed the case against him. He was again charged with manslaughter and won his appeal getting the charge dismissed. So the government came back and upped his charge to murder (to get around the Statute of Limitations) and has convicted him (twice). I wasn't there, he may be guilty as all get out. But when you compare his actions with those of his mates (read the initial dismissal) and after 2 "wins" they up the charges on him - well I think your Due Process observation is spot on. I feel for the man. v/r fkl

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/6A43E282E3DC9FFE852581720053CBB5/$file/15-3078.pdf

"...a new grand jury, which returned indictments against the defendants for voluntary manslaughter, attempted manslaughter and using and discharging a firearm in relation to a crime of violence. Slatten moved to dismiss the charges against him as time-barred, which this Court ultimately granted by writ of mandamus. In re Slatten, No. 14-3007 (D.C. Cir. Apr. 18, 2014). The government thereafter obtained an indictment charging Slatten with first-degree murder."

"We further hold that Slatten's indictment charging first-degree murder did not constitute vindictive prosecution."

Last edited by Fu King Lawyer; 15 August 2019 at 09:45. Reason: trying to imbed the link - you'll jast have to paste it into your browser
Old 15 August 2019, 16:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
No doubt that it's a huge shit show. That's what I meant when I said:

But I see people defending them in two very different ways. There is the camp that focuses on the flaws in the trial/evidence/etc, and then there's the group that blindly defends them because of the contractor equivalent of the Thin Blue Line. I also believe that there's some sort of emotional aspect to the second group's stance.

Again, I wasn't there and have no personal first-hand knowledge of the situation, therefore I will limit my opinion to things I rate to have an opinion on (which isn't anything but the legal proceedings, if that).

But I also can't discard the opinion(s) of the folks I've spoken to who DO have first-hand knowledge of the event. And that opinion has basically been, "The legal proceedings are fucked up, but those guys (not ALL 15-20 dudes on the team) were absolute clowns, violated a bunch of policies and direct orders/instructions, and completely deserve anything that comes their way." In other words, they don't take ANY issue with the fact that the guys are being tried/convicted. The only problem they have is that the trial/conviction wasn't handled properly.
If anyone has taken my previous posts wrong, I am sorry. My comments were based upon criticism of the government processes used and not the underlying conduct that resulted in their conviction(s). v/r fkl
Old 15 August 2019, 17:42
giving you a number

Quote:
I am uneasy about overzealous prosecutors.
If you haven't, read "Licensed to Lie" by Sidney Powell.

Insight into federal prosecutors by Powell who was a federal prosecutor for ten years.

Our new posting rules