SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 September 2013, 23:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Old School.... Bought this bike in 1976 while stationed in Charleston, SC. Sold it three years later right before I got out of active duty. I found it on Ebay four years ago. SN matched and it still had the my initials scratched in under the seat!! Still runs like a scalded dog just takes longer for her to warm up!
That looks just like the "new" W series. Beautiful, classic and classy.

H
Old 9 September 2013, 23:49
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Nice bike! By the panniers it looks like you tour on it?

H
The panniers get daily use for groceries and other errands, and my commute (about 130 miles round trip; an hour each way). They allow me to lock up my riding gear and leave it on the bike in the parking lot, if I want.

We don't tour as much as we'd like, but occasionally we'll get away for a few days to a week. Sometimes on two bikes; sometimes two-up on the beast. Sometimes camping, sometimes staying indoors. Whenever I need to do a professional course or conference, I try to find one within a two or three day ride so I have an excuse for a nice long ride. The wife is taking off for over a week to ride to a conference and back. We're still trying to find consecutive time for a major cross-country trip; but it is hard to coordinate work schedules and find someone reliable to care for our animals.
Old 9 September 2013, 23:51
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
That looks just like the "new" W series. Beautiful, classic and classy.

H
That Kawi really is a pretty example. They were real road-burners, too. For my taste, that is what a motorbike should look like.
Old 10 September 2013, 07:29
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post
That Kawi really is a pretty example. They were real road-burners, too. For my taste, that is what a motorbike should look like.
Fastest I've ever been, on the ground, was on I-81 in East Tennessee just before it was opened. For a year shortly after we got our licenses it was completed but for paint stripes, guard rails, and signs, pending completion of some bridge somewhere.... after taking down a section of fence on a schoolmate's farm we had access to the best kid's dragstrip you could ever want. Bobby Droke had a Z1 900, which I wrapped up tight one day.

Laying on the seat, chin on the gas cap, feet out the back, I got it up to 140. By then the wind was starting to peel the full-face helmet back, the chin bar getting in front of my eyes, so I quit.

Sweet bike (both of 'em)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 10 September 2013, 10:13
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
KidA, was the Vespa picture a joke, or do you really ride one?
He rode one from Washington State to NYC to raise money for the SOWF.

It's not what you ride it's how much and where you ride. However, riding a small scooter that kind of distance is really quite an accomplishment.

The bigger bikes with wind screens and large fairings is almost cheating when it comes to distance riding (I'm not bad mouthing it, it's a far smarter way to ride). I ride long distances on a naked bike (86 FXR), I'm pretty worn out when the ride is over, but I like riding that way. I've owned bikes with wind screens and it's a noticable difference.

I'm not posting pictures of my ride on a public forum, PERSEC and such.
Old 10 September 2013, 10:17
Retired Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
Brother, I've seen your wheels and I wish you could share them. You put a shit ton of work into your stuff...
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 10 September 2013, 12:11
SOCNET Moderator

Here a bike I was given several months ago. I had plans to restore it until I realized that parts are almost non existent!

A 1967 F1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2232.jpg (80.6 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2237.jpg (87.8 KB, 453 views)
Old 10 September 2013, 12:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Turns out the motor in the red one is the same motor I had built for the 1965 VBB that I did that ride on in 2006. It's been refurbished and I did have to rebuild the entire motor in a motel parking lot in Nebraska (or Indiana?) when I bent a crank but the cases have held up. Been through about 10 clutches since then though.

Here's a picture of me entering Chicago on that ride. That's a K&N Filter on the side, had to cut open the cowl to fit the carb and filter. That tank on the front legshield is plumbed into the main tank under the seat so I could gravity feed it and get an extra 2.5 gallons without having to stop.

While it is a "scooter" It also has a 225cc 2-stroke motor so only get about 20 mpg out of it, if I don't romp on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965 VBB.jpg (68.4 KB, 451 views)

Last edited by KidA; 10 September 2013 at 12:39.
Old 10 September 2013, 12:41
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:

It's not what you ride it's how much and where you ride. However, riding a small scooter that kind of distance is really quite an accomplishment.

The bigger bikes with wind screens and large fairings is almost cheating when it comes to distance riding (I'm not bad mouthing it, it's a far smarter way to ride). I ride long distances on a naked bike (86 FXR), I'm pretty worn out when the ride is over, but I like riding that way. I've owned bikes with wind screens and it's a noticable difference.

Just post pics of your "friend's" bike.
Old 10 September 2013, 12:47
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Turns out the motor in the red one is the same motor I had built for the 1965 VBB that I did that ride on in 2006. It's been refurbished and I did have to rebuild the entire motor in a motel parking lot in Nebraska (or Indiana?) when I bent a crank but the cases have held up. Been through about 10 clutches since then though.

Here's a picture of me entering Chicago on that ride. That's a K&N Filter on the side, had to cut open the cowl to fit the carb and filter. That tank on the front legshield is plumbed into the main tank under the seat so I could gravity feed it and get an extra 2.5 gallons without having to stop.

While it is a "scooter" It also has a 225cc 2-stroke motor so only get about 20 mpg out of it, if I don't romp on it.
That's pretty sweet. When I glanced at the photo, I was immediately reminded of this. He got 70mpg on that hog.

Seriously, though cross-country on that scooter? Pretty badass. If I did that, I'd need back surgery immediately upon arrival.
Old 10 September 2013, 13:18
Confirmed User

My old Honda CB 500. Small, but big enough for this NJ sized country :-)
Please excuse the low quality.

Unfortunately i'm a cage pilot now (but get my kicks mountain biking)

H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j.jpg (21.9 KB, 437 views)
Old 10 September 2013, 14:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Here's a picture of me entering Chicago on that ride.
All that's missing is the Heck's Angels pleather (with a "p") jacket

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 10 September 2013, 14:26
Confirmed User

'04 FXDX Superglide Sport

Naked bike, fun in the twisties and room for a lady friend on the tiny back seat. No need for a "no fat chicks" sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resampled_2012-03-05_15-48-48_496.jpg (49.9 KB, 426 views)
Old 10 September 2013, 15:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Vespa enablers must be stopped!

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 10 September 2013, 16:32
Been There Done That

Quote:

Pretty awesome. What type of bike is that? It seems much smaller than some of the more modern day Vespas.

Saw a lot of new Vespas for sale in Vietnam, very nice. Dated a girl who had just bought one, with a matching helmet, that was really sharp.
Old 10 September 2013, 16:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
Naked bike, fun in the twisties and room for a lady friend on the tiny back seat. No need for a "no fat chicks" sticker.
Nice.
Old 11 September 2013, 00:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Pretty awesome. What type of bike is that? It seems much smaller than some of the more modern day Vespas.
The black one is a 1965 VBB. Originally was a 4-speed manual and a 150cc motor with a 22mm carb. They'd run about 50-55 mph.

With my motor...well let's say I hit 90 on it being paced by a car and still had room to grow but at those speeds on that tiny machine you didn't want to stay at that speed for long.
Old 11 September 2013, 13:27
Doc McNasty

2013 Triumph Thruxton

Just got this a couple wknds ago. Note the absence of a bitch seat - still got the Road King for that tho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0029.jpg (25.3 KB, 338 views)
Old 11 September 2013, 13:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post
The panniers get daily use for groceries and other errands, and my commute (about 130 miles round trip; an hour each way). They allow me to lock up my riding gear and leave it on the bike in the parking lot, if I want.

We don't tour as much as we'd like, but occasionally we'll get away for a few days to a week. Sometimes on two bikes; sometimes two-up on the beast. Sometimes camping, sometimes staying indoors. Whenever I need to do a professional course or conference, I try to find one within a two or three day ride so I have an excuse for a nice long ride. The wife is taking off for over a week to ride to a conference and back. We're still trying to find consecutive time for a major cross-country trip; but it is hard to coordinate work schedules and find someone reliable to care for our animals.
Sounds good. That bike looks perfect for "adventure" touring. I would love the new XTZ 660 for touring.
Old 11 September 2013, 14:47
Been There Done That

I'd like to find a nice ZRX1200, I use to do the crotch rocket stuff, still like the styling, but I think the ZRX has nice lines, looks the old Kawasaki ELR ( Eddie Lawson Replica)

Our new posting rules