SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 August 2019, 08:51
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
At a certain point, if you're a PM of a pension/mutual/sovereign wealth fund, you can longer justify buying any countries debt that isn't the US or Canada and you have to plow into US treasuries. So they've been plowing into the long end of the Yield curve at the same time the short end was being targeted by the Fed to rise. So, there was never any incentive to buy the short end anyway. Thus the inversion.
That makes sense. Thanks!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 March 2020, 11:07
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
... You can bet though that if there's a recession coming, it'll get here just in time for the elections.
Coincidence? Or Clairvoyant?

Circuit Breakers triggered.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 9 March 2020, 11:53
Authorized Personnel

Weird how two adversaries just happen to get into a tussle using oil, just before our elections.
Old 9 March 2020, 13:18
In Vino Veritas

Lightbulb

A recession is 2 consecutive quarters with declining GDP. We will probably have one at least, however anything beyond that is probably speculation right now.

When there is panic in the streets, buy.
Old 9 March 2020, 13:23
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Weird how two adversaries just happen to get into a tussle using oil, just before our elections.
Meh, hasn’t that been brewing for a bit? Is SA really our “adversary” or someone we get long with, kind of? Last time I checked they were still buying US Mil hardware, so not an adversary.

In short, Russian wants to break our shale production. SA isn’t that pinpointed WRT supply and demand. Russia also has been building coffers and (IIRC) doesn’t need to have oil at $50 bbl for their economy. SA is trying to punish Russia for not going along with OPECs decision to cut production. Let them have it out
Old 9 March 2020, 13:37
Been There Done That

This is how MBS repays Trump for letting him chop up a Washington Post reporter without retribution? He should be drone striked in his palace for this outrage.
Old 9 March 2020, 13:55
Make a desert and call it peace.

Lowered price of oil will lower price of gas, which will have every Billy Bob voting Trump. The threat is that lowered transportation prices will have all the money grubbing globalists importing more Chinesium crap.

Time to raise tariffs to offset lowered energy prices. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 9 March 2020, 14:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
This is how MBS repays Trump for letting him chop up a Washington Post reporter without retribution? He should be drone striked in his palace for this outrage.
I'm trying to figure out why this is so bad for us?

If anything it gives the President a talking point about American energy independence and hits Moscow.

As HM said, they can absorb an impact below a certain price per barrel but not for a long period of time.
Old 9 March 2020, 15:20
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
When there is panic in the streets, buy.
I tried to time mine with the Fed rate cut earlier this month, foolishly thinking it would be the end of the dip Clearly underestimated the seriousness of this disaster and (in the short-term) wasted some opportunity$$$.

BLUF: you let me know where the bottom is and I'll follow your lead maybe the two of us can jumpstart the economy again

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 9 March 2020, 15:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this is so bad for us?

If anything it gives the President a talking point about American energy independence and hits Moscow.

As HM said, they can absorb an impact below a certain price per barrel but not for a long period of time.
It's a combination of factors.

1. The high-yield debt market was showing some worrying signs. Though, this might of been explained by Kraft-Heinz downgrade to BBB. There's a problem with some Shale companies that make up about 10% of that (Junk Bond) market.

2. The jobs report from Mid-Late February was fantastic, all things considered. But we're probably going to start seeing a slowdown somewhere. Eventually Airlines and Hotels will start feeling the pain.

The problem before was that Hotels and some other companies were having a hard time finding workers. Now, some are using cost-cutting measures. We'll see how that goes.

For the markets:

It was pointed out that although gold is rising and oil is falling, gold-miners were selling off. This is likely a result of a few L/S funds blowing up and selling positions to cover margin.

-Michael Malice
Old 9 March 2020, 16:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
The problem before was that Hotels and some other companies were having a hard time finding workers. Now, some are using cost-cutting measures. We'll see how that goes.
That can be directly linked to higher minimum wages (city, county, state), sick time and scheduling ordinances.

We are getting plenty of applicants in my industry but it's more difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff and the rising costs of labor require an increase in efficiency or a reduction in services.

The cost per hire was skyrocketing along with turnover until we completely revamped our recruiting process which most companies are loath to do. For us it is an opportunity and we are branching out to other industries to provide staffing services.
Old 9 March 2020, 16:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I tried to time mine with the Fed rate cut earlier this month, foolishly thinking it would be the end of the dip Clearly underestimated the seriousness of this disaster and (in the short-term) wasted some opportunity$$$.

BLUF: you let me know where the bottom is and I'll follow your lead maybe the two of us can jumpstart the economy again
I bought today. Just somethings that took a steep nose dive, like down 50% on the day. The cost was minimal and when it recovers to its price before today I’ll have doubled my money. If it recovers to its yoy price I’ll be popping bottles with models
Old 9 March 2020, 16:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
It's a combination of factors...
Thank you for the insights. They're appreciated.

My question was more directed at the other poster's comment vis-a-vis KSA's actions in the oil market having a supposedly devastating (or manipulative) impact on the US economy.
Old 9 March 2020, 17:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Thank you for the insights. They're appreciated.

My question was more directed at the other poster's comment vis-a-vis KSA's actions in the oil market having a supposedly devastating (or manipulative) impact on the US economy.
Understood.

I've been looking at this stuff all day so it was at top-of-mind.

I think the answer to what you're looking for specifically might of been recently addressed in the "President Trump's real 2020 Threat" thread.

-Michael Malice
Old 9 March 2020, 17:10
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Coincidence? Or Clairvoyant?

Circuit Breakers triggered.
That was gimme.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 9 March 2020, 19:15
Legal Immigrant

*shrug*

Haven't "lost" anything. Just need to concentrate more to keep making money.
Old 9 March 2020, 19:51
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
*shrug*

Haven't "lost" anything. Just need to concentrate more to keep making money.
It's not lost until you sell.
Old 9 March 2020, 19:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0311 View Post
It's not lost until you sell.
I do agree. But what a gut punch its been.
Old 9 March 2020, 20:18
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I bought today. Just somethings that took a steep nose dive, like down 50% on the day. The cost was minimal and when it recovers to its price before today I’ll have doubled my money. If it recovers to its yoy price I’ll be popping bottles with models
I bought with the same theory today. In for the long haul if I have to be.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 9 March 2020, 20:32
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
I do agree. But what a gut punch its been.
Oh absolutely. But for me personally it was much worse in 2008. I was down something like 40% at one point. I switched to index funds and plowed money into the market every single paycheck and as the market came roaring back I came back with it. I don't plan to use any of this money for over twenty years. When I start to get close to that point I'll change my asset allocation.

Our new posting rules