SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 March 2016, 16:40
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
No, you scuba bubbles I'm not talking about your former fun in the community pool. I'm taking about the automobile industry and all the same looking vehicles in this category. I bought the old lady a 2016 KIA Sorrento last fall. (Only the best for my baby) It was assembled in Georgia. After driving awhile I noticed every other 3rd car on the road looked the same. Honda's version, Mitsubishi, Jeeps Cherokee, Hyundai's Sante Fe & Tuscon, Ford's Escape GM has a couple including the Buick Enclave (which was my second choice as I'm a GM guy & it's absolutely packed with options) I'm not even going to mention the expensive imports. Any owners? Reviews?
What? This cannot be the first decade you noticed this?

IMO, it's blatant copycatting/ lack of creativity that leads us there each time.

1st time I noticed it was (looking back) on the fins from the fifties cars.

And definitely in full effect in the early nineties. I remember sitting in one of my driveability classes and remarking about a 1992 jelly bean. Jelly Beans being basically the same save for the color chosen.
Old 21 March 2016, 16:44
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
You can never go wrong with the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
Even better when "race car."

http://jalopnik.com/speedycops-race-ready-family-truckster-is-amazing-and-f-1641063006

S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 21 March 2016, 17:22
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The Family Truckster is versatile, if nothing else.

"You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it"
Old 21 March 2016, 18:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Good friend, who works for a Cadillac dealership, drives the Cadillac Crossover SRX model. That vehicle is nice!

Not something I would personally buy, but it rides very nice if you are looking for a more luxurious Crossover SUV.
I have the SRX luxury model and I love it. Great ride, plenty of punch and all the extras are great.
Old 21 March 2016, 18:54
Been There Done That

^ Was really impressed with the interior. Cadillac sure does know how to do things right. Was hanging out at the Cadillac dealership for a couple of hours last week with my friend (great coffee and fresh baked cookies!).

That CTS sedan with 640 HP. Talk about a combination of a luxury sedan and raw power.
Old 21 March 2016, 19:07
Authorized Personnel

Big fan of crossovers for MPG and driving height reasons, but one thing they seem to be lacking and I miss in my old truck based SUV is the opening rear windows. Most seem permanently shut, which is too bad as it is a handy feature to have when hauling long items.
Old 21 March 2016, 19:14
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
Big fan of crossovers for MPG and driving height reasons, but one thing they seem to be lacking and I miss in my old truck based SUV is the opening rear windows. Most seem permanently shut, which is too bad as it is a handy feature to have when hauling long items.
You're kidding? Gees that is some dumb lipstick on a pig shit.

My Wife's Outback both rears open all the way. Also has a nice 8+ inches of ground clearance. Which ain't bad for a wagon/AWD/car.
Old 21 March 2016, 19:18
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
From the few I have seen, and ridden in -- crossovers seem to be striving to give people a ride with a little more height, but not too much to have the uncomfortableness of a SUV or truck.

As I get older, I find that crawling down into a car (ie BMW325) is not much fun (or worse, getting out of it). I'm also not a huge fan of the rollover characteristics of SUVs and pickups, nor of the general ride -- although they have gotten much better.

Crossovers -- some of them -- seem to be filling the gap decently. I am in the process of choosing the next car for my daughter (daily ride) and it will likely be a crossover, although I am not too fond of the really small ones (I want her to have some protection/mass around her)....
This is pretty much the evolution in thinking we followed. We gave the Taco and camper to the kids, and the wife got a Subaru Crosstrek. We quite like it. It is our third Subaru, and we've never been unhappy with them. I prefer the added length of the Outback wagon for hauling the dogs and gear; but the Crosstrek really has plenty of room in it.
Old 21 March 2016, 20:27
Hard to Kill

Look at the Toyota Venza, I had one for a while. You can actually sit down into it and not put it on like a suit. V6, All Wheel Drive, High wheel base. Its great for driving back and forth to the airport.
Old 21 March 2016, 21:15
Been There Done That

The crossovers do have the height for tall folks. Plenty of extras. Safety rating in the old lady's KIA is excellent. As most vehicles in the class it has airbags everywhere. Yet...I drive the GMC Sierra 4x4 cause I do feel safer. I smashed the fuck out of a 2010 Silverado, I mean bad. Drove it straight up the tail pipe of a Nissan Frontier @ 55 mph. That dude was sitting still. (My bad) Only knocked my hat off, the other guy didn't get hurt either. But yes, I'll take the big 4x4, 4 door anyday too. But...the ole lady can't park the fucking thing. (you do have to plan ahead) Hence, the crossover.

Karl Childers
Old 21 March 2016, 22:31
Confirmed User

I bought my wife a new 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I wanted to get her the Mazda CX-7 but we got too good of a deal on the Jeep. Its perfect size and has a lot of get up for a 4 cylinder. She loves it and it fits the baby and all the stuff that goes along with a baby perfectly.
Old 21 March 2016, 22:57
Been There Done That

^ Could have gotten her a 4 door Jeep Wrangler - it is basically a cross over - a cross between a Jeep and a Mini- Van.
Old 22 March 2016, 06:48
REMF

We bought my wife a Ford Escape in 2013. 40K on it now. Good MPG, great stereo, and a decent amount of room. I'm not a huge fan of the short wheelbase or the $1200 dollars for tires.
Feels like a beer can. But at the time, gas was expensive as hell and it's her car so I just smiled. The Dealer is a HS friend so we got a monster deal and she got way more on her trade than we expected so it was a no brainer.
Old 22 March 2016, 07:08
A/1/75

A JKU a crossover?????

Charlie
Old 22 March 2016, 07:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
I traded in my V8 Explorer for a Nissan Rogue 4X4 when gas was expensive . I miss the power, and the mass for protection.

That said, the Rogue is very quick for a 4 cylinder, and has modest cargo hauling abilities, and the maintenance has been quite reasonable.

Now I am in the market for a 4X4 pickup. As other shave stated, these old bones make it tough to get in and out of the cars that seem lower than ever to the ground.
The Rogue has been around in Europe, Asia and Canada since the early '00s labeled as the X-Trail. I've had my '04 since it was new, and I love it. I'm not going to win any drag races, but I was the only thing driving through my neighborhood when this area got hit by a decent snowstorm 2 years ago. Plus, the vinyl seats and plastic interior are perfect for my 2 kids.
Old 22 March 2016, 08:29
A/1/75

Weird, I received an email today on Crossover Deals in my area

Charlie
Old 22 March 2016, 09:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the short wheelbase or the $1200 dollars for tires.
That is one of my biggest pet peeves with newer vehicles. They are all moving to 17" and taller rims which makes even the economy tires not so economical.
Old 22 March 2016, 09:56
Been There Done That

In a bygone era, they were called "station wagons".
While some of these look like a "station wagon" on steroids, they remain "station wagons". They are bigger than sedans, don't have the wheel base of a truck (or minivan) or the ability to carry the same size loads as a truck.
The minivan took the place of "station wagons" in the eighties.
We have simply come full circle.
"Crossovers" have styling features of the larger SUV/truck and may have a higher curb stance, but they are essentially a "station wagon". The earliest one I can remember was the Subaru Outback, the little "station wagon" with, I think, 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive (?).
Old 22 March 2016, 10:07
Another pool cleaner

I remember shopping for a 4WD/AWD "car" before I bought my Wrangler in the 80's and I test drove an AMC Eagle and Subaru Brat. Man, things have changed.

I look in my garage and see a '97 Landcruiser, '11 Pilot and '12 Outback wagon (manual). So I guess I buy into the hype.

Last edited by 8654maine; 22 March 2016 at 10:13.
Old 22 March 2016, 10:11
A/1/75

I had a Mercury Mariner a few years back. Same a Ford Escape. Honestly that went everywhere I wanted (Even in deep snow), plus toted just about anything and it was comfortable. Good all-around vehicle.

Charlie

Our new posting rules