SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 April 2016, 14:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
So I am thinking of a KidA vagina type crossover or a sedan on a low-mileage, short term fleece.
This thread has changed my way of thinking.... a little. Or I just might go cash car and enjoy the money saved.
You can't go wrong at least test driving the Mazda CX-5 - I, personally, would go with the Grand Touring, but without the lane change sensing crap (which is an option).

I was very skeptical but one test drive convinced me. Granted it's going to be the wife's car but on road trips I'm the driver.

Very zippy and that MPG is great, esp if gas goes up to $5 a gallon again.

Edit: PS Sorry about the trucks! Luckily the only hail I've seen here is little piddly stuff.

Last edited by KidA; 24 April 2016 at 14:32.
Old 24 April 2016, 14:35
Cynical and Grumpy

Ford ....
Mine was assembled in Kentucky like all the Fords I purchased and asked that question and reviewed the paperwork. And Ford didn't take the hand out like the pansies did. I had to downgrade from my giant Expedition and F150... To appease hubs. He talked me into the new explorer. This is a 4wd limited, w/ smart terrain. And honestly... I love it. It's just as comfortable as my expedition was. I have driven over 1500 miles one way and back never hurts. If I had driven a Chevy or Subaru ... I'd need a stretcher getting out. He had a Chevy 1500 and has a Passat TDi. The Chevy is broke down in the driveway... At 124k miles. He already had to replace the transmission. His Passat at under 30k has already been in the shop twice for pretty serious stuff considering how new it is. Meanwhile.. This is the 6th ford SUV or truck I've owned and to date... Never has any one of my vehicles been in the shop outside of routine maintenance. I had an expedition that I drove till near 200k and currently, my patrol vehicle is an 08' expedition at near 200k miles. She drives like she's brand new. And oh so comfy !!!
Ford .....
Old 25 April 2016, 01:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Our trucks, a Silverado High Country 4x4 and a 2WD LTZ were totaled in the great hail storm of 4/11/16. I loved 'em, but the wife has a bigger need for one as a GS leader. So, replacing hers with another is a no-brainer. Me? My vehicle sits in the driveway most of the time, as I'm either working from home or a hotel. So I am thinking of a KidA vagina type crossover or a sedan on a low-mileage, short term fleece.
This thread has changed my way of thinking.... a little. Or I just might go cash car and enjoy the money saved.
FUBAR - One of my Silverado's was the LTZ. That truck was sweet, right up to the point where I smashed the shit out of it. Safe too I might add. But the ole ladies Killed In Action comes in handy and saves gas. There's no shortage of crossovers to choose from.

Karl Childers
Old 25 April 2016, 07:48
Been There Done That

What was that thing Walter White drove in Breakng Bad, crossover.
Old 25 April 2016, 09:17
Freelancer

Quote:
I'm either working from home or a hotel. So I am thinking of a KidA vagina type crossover or a sedan
Sorry about your rides.

Get a Tundra or Tacoma don't get feminized stay on the dark side.
Old 25 April 2016, 09:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Get a Tundra or Tacoma don't get feminized stay on the dark side.
Another vote for the Tacoma. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Love the thing and will be driving it until the wheels fall off.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Another vote for the Tacoma. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Love the thing and will be driving it until the wheels fall off.
I wanted one so bad (It's my dream truck) but when I started doing a side-by-side comparison to the Tundra I wound up going with the Tundra. It was almost the same price. Plus I have three boys right now. They have more room in the back bench of my Tundra than my old Tahoe even.

Told the wife my first purchase when we become empty nesters is a new Tacoma.
Old 25 April 2016, 11:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
I wanted one so bad (It's my dream truck) but when I started doing a side-by-side comparison to the Tundra I wound up going with the Tundra. It was almost the same price. Plus I have three boys right now. They have more room in the back bench of my Tundra than my old Tahoe even.

Told the wife my first purchase when we become empty nesters is a new Tacoma.
Tundra's are a great truck. Had a 2003. Smashed the shit out of that one too.

Karl Childers
Old 25 April 2016, 12:03
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
What was that thing Walter White drove in Breakng Bad, crossover.
A poor, beat up Aztec.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 25 April 2016, 12:15
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
Tundra's are a great truck. Had a 2003. Smashed the shit out of that one too.
Take it you didn't earn your driver badge?

Love my Tundra, when New England kills it I'll be buying a Tacoma.
Old 25 April 2016, 13:17
Authorized Personnel

Not to derail this thread from crossover SUV's, but I've got my eye on the new revised Honda Ridgeline I must admit. They made the new model more safe with regards to styling, car like ride and better MPG. With regards to Mazda's, can't say enough good things about them (we have a 5 and cx-9)
Old 25 April 2016, 13:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
With regards to Mazda's, can't say enough good things about them (we have a 5 and cx-9)
The dealer has a certified pre-owned 2013 CX-9 Grand Touring completely loaded with everything, and I like it, but the rib isn't as much of a fan. I like the added room (since we're giving up a truck whose bed goes unused 99% of the time) and the bigger motor, but the MPG is no where near the 30 combined MPG of the new CX-9 and the 0-60 is the same despite being a 6 cy on the 9 and a 4 cyl on the 5.

I thought I was going to try to convince the wife to go for the used 9 over the new 5 but I'm pretty sold on the 5 now.
Old 25 April 2016, 14:27
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
The dealer has a certified pre-owned 2013 CX-9 Grand Touring completely loaded with everything, and I like it, but the rib isn't as much of a fan. I like the added room (since we're giving up a truck whose bed goes unused 99% of the time) and the bigger motor, but the MPG is no where near the 30 combined MPG of the new CX-9 and the 0-60 is the same despite being a 6 cy on the 9 and a 4 cyl on the 5.

I thought I was going to try to convince the wife to go for the used 9 over the new 5 but I'm pretty sold on the 5 now.
Food for thought: Someone else has already eaten the depreciation on that CX-9.....
Old 25 April 2016, 16:10
Confirmed User

I'm not too "manly" for a cross over. I drove a 1999 Dodge minivan for 10+ years while I was an AD Navy EOD guy and I caught hell for it daily (while wife had the Tahoe). Didn't care, it was a great ride.

But to me a cross over is just as ridiculous looking as a minivan but nowhere near as functional. And I took that minivan hunting/ camping etc. Way more room and cheap as all can be.

Crossovers are just for guys not ballsy enough to rock the minivan . I kid of course, sort of....
Old 25 April 2016, 16:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Crossovers are just for guys not ballsy enough to rock the minivan . I kid of course, sort of....
We need AWD here in Montana, and the only minivan that has it is the Sienna and it has way less gas mileage, and costs $10k more than the CX-5.
Old 29 April 2016, 10:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
We need AWD here in Montana, and the only minivan that has it is the Sienna and it has way less gas mileage, and costs $10k more than the CX-5.
You could always go with this sleeper; a Mercedes R63 AMG with 4Matic :

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/reviews/a12524/mercedes-benz-r63-amg-4matic/

Sure, its expensive to own and kind of ugly. But its an AWD minivan with with 503 HP...

And it's probably the most badass sounding minivan on the road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_sCCAmXsU
Old 29 April 2016, 11:11
Authorized Personnel

We went with the CX-5. She is incorporating her own photography business this month so we will win on the depreciation come tax time next year, which we couldn't do with the used CX-9.

I had some second thoughts the first two days after losing the Silverado since it was brand fucking new, but this is a better decision gas wise, parking wise, etc since we were hauling air most of the time. It's a lot more fun around town for sure. Also was able to get her listed first on the loan (1.9% for 63 months) so she can build her credit since she has none so that was a plus.

In 1967 Citroen had headlamps that turned with the steering wheel. It only took auto makers almost 5 decades to re-introduce the concept. The CX-5 has them and they're pretty cool. Lights raise at speed to see farther, lower when you slow down or when they sense an oncoming vehicle, they turn with the steering wheel so you can see around curves, etc.
Old 29 April 2016, 11:29
On the Extract Bird

As a kid, we had a neighbor who drove Citroens. (He was a Brit transplant to So. Cal. who was US Air Force retired and Naturalized. Worked as an engineer for Rockwell.) The smoothest riding vehicle I've ever been in.
Old 29 April 2016, 12:04
Did...did I do that?

The center headlight on the '48 Tucker turned with the steering as well.
Old 29 April 2016, 15:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
As a kid, we had a neighbor who drove Citroens. (He was a Brit transplant to So. Cal. who was US Air Force retired and Naturalized. Worked as an engineer for Rockwell.) The smoothest riding vehicle I've ever been in.
I'd love to own one one day but they are now very spendy for a restored one that you can drive and not worry about.

I heard a quote once, paraphrased: Never try to follow a Citroen in the rain, no matter what you're in, unless you want to be embarrassed.

Automatic self-leveling hydraulic suspension great over speed bumps

Our new posting rules