SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 November 2018, 09:34
Been There Done That

Greeks are flame proof?
Old 14 November 2018, 13:13
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
One guy went down to a greek area to escape the flames and said the heat was so intense he could feel it underwater...
Greek areas and water. Sorry, couldn’t help it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0233D490-B06F-48D5-B837-2F23B4DECEC7.jpg (29.2 KB, 299 views)
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 15 November 2018, 12:36
Reverse Apache Master

Seems pretty simple. Either manage Nature on the front end or she will manage herself in her own way.

God forbid the land doesn't "remain undisturbed" because some of the undergrowth/dead plant life was cleared out or burned off. Let all that fuel build up out of some sort of environmental guilt and guess what happens? Mother Nature gets rid of it, and in an uncontrollable way.

I have zero issue with the President telling CA to either change their policies or stop expecting the rest of the country to continue to pay for it.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 15 November 2018, 23:02
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Did you see how that house was made. It was made of rebar all thru the house an each was attached to other rebar. it was made to stand winds up to 250 MPH or more.
That's how monolithic dome buildings are made. REBAR and "Shotcrete"....they put a huge balloon inside the rebar dome frame and shoot concrete all over it. It dries, they remove the "balloon", at least that's how I remember it.

I have a "tearout" from American Survival Guide magazine on this, from like 25 years ago, I'll have to take a look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
Watching David Muir a couple of nights ago he had a gentleman on that saved his house by using his pool.
Living in a town where so many houses, even cheaper ones have an in-ground pool, I've though about what kind of setup would be best for using an 18K gal. pool as a water source for this. Anyone got any suggestions? Type of pump, fire hose, etc.? We have a whole stand of pine tree's across the back wall that make me uneasy, there's two huge branches that reach out in our direction more and more every year. Those things look tinder dry much of the year....

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 15 November 2018 at 23:08.
Old 15 November 2018, 23:32

My house that I have built in the not too distant future will be made out of rebar-reinforced ICF blocks. After that picture of the wildfire (and which home survived) I think it's a no brainer in disaster probe AOs.
Old 16 November 2018, 00:39
Confirmed User

Are you sure you would want your house to survive? From what I've read that might not be a good thing as all the smoke damage makes the house inhabitable and you won't be able to recoup from insurance like you would if it had been burned to the ground. Maybe just making a safe space for stuff that is too important to get burned up would be better.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 16 November 2018, 01:13
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Are you sure you would want your house to survive? From what I've read that might not be a good thing as all the smoke damage makes the house inhabitable and you won't be able to recoup from insurance like you would if it had been burned to the ground. Maybe just making a safe space for stuff that is too important to get burned up would be better.
Yeah, you're still going to need some place to live. Ask all those folks in Cali who are homeless and run out of money for a hotel room about that.....plus I would want to shelter in place. With my stuff. Because looters.

Old 16 November 2018, 01:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Yeah, you're still going to need some place to live. Ask all those folks in Cali who are homeless and run out of money for a hotel room about that.....plus I would want to shelter in place. With my stuff. Because looters.
I had a house fire last year, smoke damage is no joke and I doubt you'd want to live in that house. Reading about people who had their house survive a fire only wishing it had burned down because so little was salvageable.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 16 November 2018, 01:21
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
I had a house fire last year, smoke damage is no joke and I doubt you'd want to live in that house. Reading about people who had their house survive a fire only wishing it had burned down because so little was salvageable.
It's something to consider, but you are talking about conventional houses with smoke damage. For the dome homes I am talking about, if you have everything all sealed up and there's no smoke getting in, what problem? I'm not talking about houses that burn, even partially, I'm talking about homes that didn't. Specifically forest fires, not house fires.

Old 16 November 2018, 01:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
It's something to consider, but you are talking about conventional houses with smoke damage. For the dome homes I am talking about, if you have everything all sealed up and there's no smoke getting in, what problem? I'm not talking about houses that burn, even partially, I'm talking about homes that didn't. Specifically forest fires, not house fires.
Well then you'd probably want a house that seals up enough that no outside air can get in. If you can do that it would probably be ok. Me, I'd just rather purchase good homeowners insurance.

Winston Churchill

Maynard James Keenan
Old 16 November 2018, 02:03
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Well then you'd probably want a house that seals up enough that no outside air can get in.
For someone building a house of this type in Cali, with the chronic forest fire problem they have in mind, exactly so.

Old 16 November 2018, 02:09
Anesthetized User

Bottom line, California’s populace built cities up and down the San Andrés fault.

Half of San Francisco was built on a garbage dump over the bay.

Los Angeles was built in a desert.

I do not feel for these people.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 16 November 2018, 02:27
killjoy

Quote:
I don't like hearing anyone talk about trying to shelter in place. Please reconsider your position, bobofthedesert.

No matter how awesome of a house you build out of concrete, if a fire like this hits and you get the bad parts of the fire that move in your direction, your concrete may stand but everything inside is done, including you. The fire gets into your home through the windows(as in heat through the glass) and vents, it will set your curtains/blinds on fire, your couch on fire, and you on fire. This is why part of the evacuation process is to pull all furniture away from the walls and into the center of the room, and to close all blinds and hope for the best. But even then, with heat and flames to the extreme it still won't matter.

You'd be better off building a huge parking lot and having your concrete house in the middle of that.
Old 16 November 2018, 10:09
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
I don't like hearing anyone talk about trying to shelter in place. Please reconsider your position, bobofthedesert.

No matter how awesome of a house you build out of concrete, if a fire like this hits and you get the bad parts of the fire that move in your direction, your concrete may stand but everything inside is done, including you. The fire gets into your home through the windows(as in heat through the glass) and vents, it will set your curtains/blinds on fire, your couch on fire, and you on fire. This is why part of the evacuation process is to pull all furniture away from the walls and into the center of the room, and to close all blinds and hope for the best. But even then, with heat and flames to the extreme it still won't matter.

You'd be better off building a huge parking lot and having your concrete house in the middle of that.
Exactly. The best thing to be done is to make sure that you have enough cleared around the house so that the jump factor can prevent your place from becoming part of the problem. From what I have heard and read so far, that is damn near impossible in Cali.

The weather whipped this thing into such a frenzy with all the fuel, it just was impossible to do anything but run and even some people sadly didn't get out in time. The scariest fire I ever learned about what wildland fire, I never wanted to deal with it. I will take a burning house any day over a woodland fire.

On the note of smoke damage, I can personally attest. Even if your house doesn't burn, the smoke particles from the burning around will get into everything. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a house that is airtight. The amount of mold problems alone would kill a person. My ex husband's neighbor's house caught fire and burned to the ground a number of years ago due to a lightening strike. You can still smell the remnants of the smoke that came in through the airconditioning system in the upper part of his house. I actually asked the former homeowner when we bought the house if there had been a fire in the attic. That's when he told me about the neighbor's house. You can never get that smell out completely.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 16 November 2018, 10:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Well then you'd probably want a house that seals up enough that no outside air can get in. If you can do that it would probably be ok. Me, I'd just rather purchase good homeowners insurance.
I eliminated this problem by not buying a house in California.
Old 16 November 2018, 11:58
Confirmed User

I posted in the natural disaster thread, but the house I'm finishing was burned over in 2015 and you can't even tell aside from the paint got messed up in one spot at ground level. The fuel was pretty flashy where this occurred, but several neighbors homes burned to the ground. I've since don't quite a bit of dirt work and rocking around the perimeter of the home. It's a steel building with metal roof.
Old 16 November 2018, 13:48
Never to old to learn

This pic was taken at Westlake Village during the Woolsey Fire on the 9th ! Wow - talk about Big Brass Balls - this pilot sure has them !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4419 (002).jpg (25.9 KB, 164 views)
Old 16 November 2018, 14:13
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Bottom line, California’s populace built cities up and down the San Andrés fault.

Half of San Francisco was built on a garbage dump over the bay.

Los Angeles was built in a desert.

I do not feel for these people.
Yeah, this did not come out right.

Of course I have great empathy for those private citizens that disasters effect.

But, no on should be surprised when these things happen.

And I do not feel for those that put profits ahead of safety.

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 16 November 2018, 15:51
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
The fire gets into your home through the windows(as in heat through the glass) and vents....You'd be better off building a huge parking lot and having your concrete house in the middle of that.
Windows/all doors covered by metal shutters. We already discussed all vents being plugged up. I'm good having a couple hundred years of nothing around the house, I call that cleared fields of fire.

Old 16 November 2018, 18:13
Anesthetized User

Smoke and porous items.

The smoke smell never goes away. No, really it doesn’t.

Ever.

Our new posting rules