SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 August 2019, 12:59
On the Extract Bird

I was in Madison this week. Couldn’t find a conservative news outlet to tune into while in the car.
Old 17 August 2019, 14:59
Never to old to learn

Just caught part of a statement that President Trump stated that he will not sign any BILL about 2A, not sure what all the statement was about an 2A
Old 17 August 2019, 17:31
Been There Done That

Andrew Yang. He has background in both private and public sectors. He's picking apart economic issues related to 4th industrial revolution, addressing drug criminality private/prisons, and other topics that don't include screeds against everything conservative. He's also not peaking too early which is a good thing for him right now. This is the guy that can attract moderates. Even if you think UBI is a stupid idea, his insights into the future workforce seem pretty dead on to me.
Old 17 August 2019, 17:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Andrew Yang. He has background in both private and public sectors. He's picking apart economic issues related to 4th industrial revolution, addressing drug criminality private/prisons, and other topics that don't include screeds against everything conservative. He's also not peaking too early which is a good thing for him right now. This is the guy that can attract moderates. Even if you think UBI is a stupid idea, his insights into the future workforce seem pretty dead on to me.
He reminds me of Jim Webb in 2016. Too moderate for the Democrats. And the media will direct the focus away from him. IMO, if Jim Webb has been the Democrat choice instead of Hillary - Trump May not have one. Many who voted for Trump did not vote for Trump, they voted against Hillary. Hell, if Jim Webb had run I probably would have voted for him over Trump.
Old 17 August 2019, 19:07
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
The Sweds (IIRC) tried UBI and it didn’t work. The economic situation as we know it will be redefined in our life time due to automation, and what it looks like I don’t know, but right now UBI doesn’t work.

People are also floating the idea of printing money just for med costs (and something else, I don’t recall right now), but I don’t see how that works in the economy.
Old 17 August 2019, 20:11
Administrator

Yang is just another dude who thinks the gov is here to redistribute our money. He's the Monopoly candidate.

He also has a problem with the 1st Amendment and freedom of religion.

Not a moderate IMO.
Old 18 August 2019, 01:54
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
The Sweds (IIRC) tried UBI and it didn’t work. The economic situation as we know it will be redefined in our life time due to automation, and what it looks like I don’t know, but right now UBI doesn’t work.

People are also floating the idea of printing money just for med costs (and something else, I don’t recall right now), but I don’t see how that works in the economy.
It was Finland. For those interested, here is the press release by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health outlining the results of the first year of the program. To summarize:

Quote:
The basic income experiment did not increase the employment level of the participants in the first year of the experiment. However, at the end of the experiment the recipients of a basic income perceived their wellbeing as being better than did those in the control group. The results are to some extent preliminary, and it is not yet possible to draw any firm conclusions regarding the effects of the basic income experiment.
I guess, it depends how do you define the success of such social experiment. If it is improved feeling of well-being at the mandatory expense of others, I am not interested.
Old 18 August 2019, 06:25
Been There Done That

The big problem this next election will be getting conservatives to even come out to vote. For example in my area, our Mayor and our local Senator - both Republicans, are just as liberal as anyone on the left. Amongst many other liberal platforms, the Mayor a former police chief, has come out and said only LE should be able to own AR rifles. Our Senator heads is the State’s majority leader and always pushing leftist platforms. So what is the point of even voting? When so many in the GOP have become spineless cucks, and are just as liberal as Democrats.
Old 18 August 2019, 09:25
Confirmed User

I think a of of conservatives are just laying low. That's why the liberals were so shocked when Hillary lost and rationalized it with the Russian collusion hoax.

I've had a number of 'whispered conversations' with people who are afraid to voice their opinions openly in public for fear of backlash. It's really amazing and quite disturbing in this day and age. I honestly think that there's a lot of 'misdirection' at play, one reason for skewed poll numbers that libs live by.

Just because there's silence.... it doesn't mean that nobody's there.

Last edited by 19MIKE; 18 August 2019 at 09:31.
Old 18 August 2019, 11:57
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Well, first, I'd tell them to never be afraid to voice their opinion on a subject. Then, I'd tell them they can listen to the emotionally driven arguments of those trying desperately to shut them down, then to not engage them in debate, because you can't debate emotional arguments.

All you can do is tell them nicely as you leave to fuck off, which will make them even more emotional, and they might cry, so be prepared.
Then vote.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 18 August 2019, 14:52
killjoy

Trump's biggest threat is conservatives that feel he fell short of their expectations and decide not to vote for him. That will hand a sure victory to the left. If they thought they were not impressed with his performance, just wait and watch the next liberal go to work.
Old 18 August 2019, 17:12
Find a way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
The big problem this next election will be getting conservatives to even come out to vote. For example in my area, our Mayor and our local Senator - both Republicans, are just as liberal as anyone on the left. Amongst many other liberal platforms, the Mayor a former police chief, has come out and said only LE should be able to own AR rifles. Our Senator heads is the State’s majority leader and always pushing leftist platforms. So what is the point of even voting? When so many in the GOP have become spineless cucks, and are just as liberal as Democrats.
I can't speak to R's in your area. I would, however, raise concern over supposed Republicans who are running in Red areas as there are whispers of Progressives running as Republicans as some sort of very far left scheme. And I want to make this clear, this isn't part of an official Democratic party scheme; this is a Justice Democrats plan.

A bigger thing at play that Sigi often mentions is judge appointees. POTUS is simply working with the Federalist Society to appoint pretty conservative judges. Which in turn will have a much longer effect on gun rights than one or two term Presidents.

https://www.bloomberg(dot)com/news/a...-for-mcconnell

"McConnell has little common ground on legislation with the Democratic-controlled House, which is pushing action on background checks for gun buyers, election security....."

-Michael Malice
Old 18 August 2019, 17:13
Confirmed User

I'm watching POTUS's interview now on the Morristown NJ tarmac...the man's an animal answering questions from the press...total badass. Layed down the gauntlet for the Chinese PM
Old 18 August 2019, 17:49
Never to old to learn

I am waiting until it's down to between POTUS' an who every is running against him. Then watch the sparks fly.

Just go back to when it was between him an what's her face He will turn people around to see what the Democrat's have been doing an trying to do this country.

??? Who is running as an Independent or what ever other group.??

Last edited by wildman43; 18 August 2019 at 17:54.
Old 19 August 2019, 04:44
Been There Done That

Hearing my relatives going on and on yesterday about how perfect Mayor Pete is. How they are all supporting him. “He is so educated, thoughtful, has a answer for America on every issue, has a wonderful marriage and he is a military veteran. He is the new JFK.”

Sigh.....

Yes, he is still a major threat and his popularity is growing.
Old 19 August 2019, 06:48
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Hearing my relatives going on and on yesterday about how perfect Mayor Pete is. How they are all supporting him. “He is so educated, thoughtful, has a answer for America on every issue, has a wonderful marriage and he is a military veteran. He is the new JFK.”

Sigh.....

Nope. He's not and his popularity has not grown sufficiently in the black and Hispanic communities to make him a national threat.
Old 19 August 2019, 07:23
Administrator

Quote:

Sigh.....

He's nothing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...-2016-n1043221

https://www.theamericanconservative....p-shield-2020/
Old 19 August 2019, 07:55
Been There Done That

Quote:

Sigh.....

Yup...and I bet he gives his life-partner the full JFK treatment--meaning: Ole Pete splatters on his partner's head and then listens to the screams while he's crawling out of the car.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Yup...and I bet he gives his life-partner the full JFK treatment--meaning: Ole Pete splatters on his partner's head and then listens to the screams while he's crawling out of the car.
Are you conflating Jack with Teddy deliberately?
Old 19 August 2019, 10:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Are you conflating Jack with Teddy deliberately?

OK - I admit to being a dumbass on this one. I completely missed the reference being made until it was pointed out to me.

Our new posting rules