SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 August 2019, 06:48
been ***** **** that

A buddy of mine and his wife made a decent living off the rich folks with second and third homes in the mountains. He was a caretaker, carpenter, window cleaner on most of the lake properties. His wife cooked for the wealthy homeowners when they were just up for holidays or what not. There were a few property management outfits around but quite often would hire spur of the moment help and it often led to properties being robbed.....trust someone you know...
Old 16 August 2019, 08:33
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
A buddy of mine and his wife made a decent living off the rich folks with second and third homes in the mountains. He was a caretaker, carpenter, window cleaner on most of the lake properties. His wife cooked for the wealthy homeowners when they were just up for holidays or what not. There were a few property management outfits around but quite often would hire spur of the moment help and it often led to properties being robbed.....trust someone you know...
It really does pay pretty well even if all you are doing is mowing, weeding, cleaning the pool and minding (in this case, I would not do this routinely) a dog.

There is a company up by Lake Anna that does the lake houses when they are vacant and they probably making a good amount for taking care of empty houses all winter.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 16 August 2019, 08:56
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
HH6, I am gone some years 150+days. I can barely get her out of the driveway sometimes.
Or off that damn riding mower. What was it she ran over last time?

I have a Ring door bell system and flood light cameras, but then again, we're in a decent neighborhood. The problem I've found with many of the self monitoring systems out there (Ring, Nest, Arlo, etc.) is the lag times. I bought an Arlo 2 system for my last house, installed it then immediately returned it. I found the lag time from motion detection to cell alert to be about 25-30 seconds. That was while I was in the home! Plus, the frame rate and resolution sucked.

And ET1, it's for all intents and purposes...not "for all intensive purposes". Sorry, the Grammar Nazi in me couldn't pass this up.
Old 16 August 2019, 10:34
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Yeah, and it's not "for all in tents and porpoises either..." :)

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 16 August 2019, 10:47
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
And ET1, it's for all intents and purposes...not "for all intensive purposes". Sorry, the Grammar Nazi in me couldn't pass this up.
Thank you for saving me from future embarrassment!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 August 2019, 12:24
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

I was out for 7 weeks two years ago, wile the old lady went back to chicago for the summer since I was gone....

I did a few things.

1 was to install cameras. I did the Blink cameras just to record shit. So even if I am not there I can get some vid sent to the cloud and I could email/dropbox the files to the local leos.

2 I hired a local kid (he was 19 at the time and in school at the local college. I paid him to come and stay at the house 2 nights a week. He was to check the spinklers were running, cut the grass, and walk the fence line every tuesday and wednesday. I paid him 125 bucks a week for the 2 visits. I gave him a tour, showed him all the cameras, showed him the locked gun room and garage stuff. Told him a pool guy would come on thursdays to check the pool and chemicals... showed him where the circuit breakers were, where the water and gas shutoffs were, etc. had him take out any garbage (even just a little from him) every wednesday on garbage day.

3. I hit up one neighbor that I was friendly with, but not friends with, and just told him what was going on and just asked that keep an eye out. We have now become more friendly (I dropped some nice steaks at his house when I got back).

Now... what happened while I was gone?
Pool guy drove off my driveway and cracked a water pipe feeding spinklers... Kid found it that night and shut it off.

Power went out. Kid had to reset all the clocks in the house and reset one of my camera access points.

Kid got drunk at my house one night... just him and a buddy sitting by my pool drinking beer and watching TV (TV on the patio)... he passed out on the couch on the patio.

my grass was cut when I got home (not awesome but cut). Garbage was empty. and house was clean because I called a cleaning service to show up and clean it a couple of days before I was to show up... I tossed the kid 20 extra for opening up the doors and gate for the cleaners that morning.

My dogs went to the trainer. I boarded them for the entire time. $35/day per dog.... so 70 per day. 490 per week..... 7 weeks.... do the math.

In hind sight I paid way more for dog watching than watching my place. Stupid of me. But I will change it next time and the overseas work was paying good enough to cover all of that and more.
Old 16 August 2019, 12:40
been ***** **** that

I loved taking care of the livestock, horses, and the dogs (as they were mountain dogs and lived outside) . I had a nightmare once with cats! My buddy asked if I would watch his girlfriends place and take care of her cats for two weeks. Ya, sure , you betcha! The place was 400 sq. ft. with 10 cats. Place had not been cleaned since the Normandy Invasion. Freaking hair everywhere, and unbelievable filth, cleaning the litter boxes everyday made me gag.I have never been so grossed out in my life. I have not cared for cats since!
Old 16 August 2019, 12:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
I loved taking care of the livestock, horses, and the dogs (as they were mountain dogs and lived outside) . I had a nightmare once with cats! My buddy asked if I would watch his girlfriends place and take care of her cats for two weeks. Ya, sure , you betcha! The place was 400 sq. ft. with 10 cats. Place had not been cleaned since the Normandy Invasion. Freaking hair everywhere, and unbelievable filth, cleaning the litter boxes everyday made me gag.I have never been so grossed out in my life. I have not cared for cats since!
I'd have given that entire situation a full-on wildman--(NOPE). Then I would've asked my buddy if that thing downstairs is as hairy and nasty as her house.
Old 16 August 2019, 15:22
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I'd have given that entire situation a full-on wildman--(NOPE). Then I would've asked my buddy if that thing downstairs is as hairy and nasty as her house.
Yeah, I don't do indoor cats. Nasty as fuck. Seriously. We have all three out back, there is a covered porch here on the back deck. I don't worry about them getting squished by a car since we are way too far from a road, and the dirt road to the house is too far from the house for their lazy asses to wander to unless we go up there to the barn/pastures. If the weather gets super cold we bring them in the garage, but they destroy everything and it pisses me off. I really don't think cats make great indoor pets unless they are declawed. And fuck litter boxes. Whoever came up with that idea needs a death squad.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

Old 16 August 2019, 16:21
killjoy

Dogs, cameras, and neighbors for all intensive porpoises...
Old 17 August 2019, 11:03
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Can't says I blame ya. Pretty much what Mingo alludes to, it's all about you and how you care for yourself/animals.

I gots 2 cats. They came and found us to help them before they were properly weened. Clean cat litter-box q-day.

And gees not too hard to figure out how to make it work. For starters, don't have 10 cats in a cracker box and. . . . find an old cedar chest.

Voila~

Old 17 August 2019, 11:45
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
I have not cared for cats since!
You're just not cooking them right.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:08
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
You're just not cooking them right.
That's right, Bob! The sick , lame and lazy ones are food for the Turkey vultures.
Old 17 August 2019, 19:14
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Dogs, cameras, and neighbors for all intensive porpoises...
Wait, porpoises? PORPOISES?! No one told me I could house sit a porpoise! OMG, I am so there!!

Old 17 August 2019, 19:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
I really don't think cats make great indoor pets unless they are declawed. And fuck litter boxes. Whoever came up with that idea needs a death squad.
I have 3 indoor cats. They do just fine. Never make a mess or tear stuff up. Two of the 3 are from the shelter. Declawing is just plain cruel and doesn't give an indoor cat a fighting chance to survive if they somehow get outdoors.

The key to the litter box is the mini silicon litter ($4/bag at walmart - i have it delivered). I buy 5 bags and change litter in all 3 litter boxes every 4-5 weeks. The big one gets 2 bags and the small ones get 1.5 each. Of course, you'll need to scoop poop daily but not their fault.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 17 August 2019, 22:00

Quote:
There's a couple of colonies of feral cats living in the woods around me - for awhile I made the mistake of feeding them, and it quickly grew out of control. They really are pretty nasty creatures when it comes down to it. Pretty soon coyotes figured out the cats were hanging around my place and the porch became like a buffet for them...

I knocked off the free meals, but one kitten decided she wanted to move in. During the summer only comes in to eat and is outside 20+ hours a day. There's usually a constant pile of dead rodents on my doorstep, and in the winter she'll sleep indoors at night if it gets cold enough. That's been going on for about 5 years now and she's pretty low maintenance - although she did come back after being gone for a couple days with a torn ear and missing one fang - no idea what that was all about, but I was like "You go, kitten!". I have a hunch the other cat probably looked worse...
Old 18 August 2019, 01:35
Custom User Title

$125/week for a college kid to watch my house and occasionally get hammered sounds like a complete bargain.

When I was working overseas I didn't don't own a home or really much of anything besides some guns and a nice watch. I would stay in my old room at my dad's house. Then in my 30s i realized bringing girls back to my childhood room with the Bruce Lee posters was a bit of a damper on the social life, theoretically.
Old 18 August 2019, 07:10
Sardonic Fattist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
college kid to watch my house and occasionally get hammered
I once got a college kid couple to mind the house. I thought they'd appreciate a 24/7 shagging venue. Their only duty was to make sure the garden got water (back before computerised irrigation). Got back home and the garden looked like the sahara and the furniture had cigarette burns in it. First and last time I relied on youngsters for anything.

Our new posting rules