SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 16 November 2017, 11:11
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 19,662
I started reading last night at 1930. Looked up 377 pages later and it was midnight.

As others have said, you have a gift brother. Your writing style is completely unique. It took a lot of courage to write that book. I posted a review. I re-wrote it half a dozen times, as it didn't seem to do you or the book, justice. I hope it is sufficient.
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 16 November 2017, 11:44
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I started reading last night at 1930. Looked up 377 pages later and it was midnight.

As others have said, you have a gift brother. Your writing style is completely unique. It took a lot of courage to write that book. I posted a review. I re-wrote it half a dozen times, as it didn't seem to do you or the book, justice. I hope it is sufficient.
Thank you for that review!

I am glad that someone gets it. I could not write this book in any other way.

It is risky to write a book with as much truth as you can muster, but I did not want to feel any regrets over it, and I needed to say some things that have been on my conscience for many decades now.

In a way, I probably could not have written that book until now, as it took me many years before I was actually honest with myself. I had a couple of health scares in the last years, and it dawned on me that if I did not do it now that I would not be around to do it later. We do not always have time.

I have to credit my therapist, as well. You only get out of therapy what you put into it, so I hit a point where I no longer wasted his time nor mine. After all, he gets paid to listen.

I benefited from therapy, and writing this book was an extension of it, and a consequence. For me it is a personal triumph, and I have experienced some amazing victories in this life, as well as many failures.

The biggest triumph for me, however, is not this book. It is that I am still happily married to the same woman for the past ten years. That is the other consequence of much therapy for me. There is no question that the Big Ranger blessed me when he placed her in my path.

And I should also thank the VA. They pay the bills. Without the VA, I would be dead.

This book is the second greatest milestone in my life.

Thank God that I got it done.

Thank you for your kind comments, thank you for understanding, and thank you for that awesome review!
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.

Last edited by magician; 16 November 2017 at 11:56.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 16 November 2017, 14:24
Football Batt's Avatar
Football Batt Football Batt is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Out in front of Wofford's Bde
Posts: 1,874
I am not finished (although I did skip ahead and read the Postscript : Afterword) and I too am a fan of your writing style.

I also particularly like the palpable honesty that is in the afterword. It might be hard for some to accept and probably even harder to speak but it comes across in the write tone.

Job well done. Now finish the rest!
__________________
Sua Sponte --- every last one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 16 November 2017, 18:02
X-rgr's Avatar
X-rgr X-rgr is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The lap of luxury , WY, USA
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I am the same way. I was surprised that the book ended up at 377 pages, as I really tried to keep the narrative succinct.

I keep waiting for readers to complain that the Big Ranger in the Sky had such an explicit role. I write nonfiction. If it happened, I recount it.

In any case, I thank you very much for reading.
I HOPE what you got from my post is an attaboy. I liked your compact style (interlaced with a few descriptions), especially in the more suspenseful parts. I was, by describing what I don't like, offhandedly telling you that you delivered what I DO like. I want to make sure you got that message

And for the record, I liked the Big Ranger in the Sky references, because that's how I see life. Not everything can be explained as a random cosmic accident. Some things are the way they are because they've been directed to be that way. No one can change my mind on that one, so when you referenced that sort of "direction", it resonated with me because it felt familiar.
__________________
"Chuck Norris? Never heard of her." -- John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 17 November 2017, 04:30
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I HOPE what you got from my post is an attaboy. I liked your compact style (interlaced with a few descriptions), especially in the more suspenseful parts. I was, by describing what I don't like, offhandedly telling you that you delivered what I DO like. I want to make sure you got that message

And for the record, I liked the Big Ranger in the Sky references, because that's how I see life. Not everything can be explained as a random cosmic accident. Some things are the way they are because they've been directed to be that way. No one can change my mind on that one, so when you referenced that sort of "direction", it resonated with me because it felt familiar.
I have yet to encounter a combat veteran who does not have an unshakable belief in a higher power.

Thank you for the praise!

It is profoundly humbling to see so many people buying, reading, and reviewing my work.
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 17 November 2017, 08:19
Mingo Kane's Avatar
Mingo Kane Mingo Kane is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I have yet to encounter a combat veteran who does not have an unshakable belief in a higher power.

Thank you for the praise!

It is profoundly humbling to see so many people buying, reading, and reviewing my work.
Indeed....
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 21 November 2017, 22:09
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Bitter old man.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LOFD
Posts: 6,171
Review went live on SOF.

https://www.sofmag.com/tale-of-the-grenada-raiders/
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 21 November 2017, 23:09
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 14,095
I am almost 1/2 way through. I have read many books about folks in combat, but when they are people you know it is much much different. SFC Klein was a legend. Bill Eskridge was one of the finest Infantry Officers I ever met. Thank You Brother for letting me see this side of it all.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 22 November 2017, 05:04
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Thank you for that, Greg! I deeply appreciate it!

I do not know how I can ever express my gratitude to you, but I will not forget you doing me this kind service.
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.

Last edited by magician; 22 November 2017 at 05:11.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 22 November 2017, 05:09
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am almost 1/2 way through. I have read many books about folks in combat, but when they are people you know it is much much different. SFC Klein was a legend. Bill Eskridge was one of the finest Infantry Officers I ever met. Thank You Brother for letting me see this side of it all.
You are welcome. I had to tell the stories of those epic soldiers before I die.

Nobody even knew about them! No one but Rangers knew that Jimmy Pickering killed two BTR60's at True Blue.

No one but Bad 'Muthers knew that Jerry Shorma hot-wired a bulldozer on the tarmac at Point Salines.

No one but me knew that Gerry Holt was the only Ranger who did not flee for his life, but came back to help me in the maelstrom of the Calivigny Barracks.

It is arrogant to think that I can preserve these tales in the annals of military history, but I long ago stopped listening when folks told me that I could not do something.

I wrote this book. It will succeed or fail on its own merits.

But I got these stories off my chest. Now I can die in peace.

Thanks for reading, Fast Eddie!
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 22 November 2017, 11:51
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
.... I had to tell the stories of those epic soldiers before I die.
My father retired from the Marines, in 1975, after serving almost 21 years. He died two years later. I have since found some of his materials from the Marines and turned them over to a university be treated, catalogued, and preserved.

These men (your men) served an honorable service and deserve to be remembered, in print, as a legacy and as a record to commemorate their lives.

When I can, I am buying your book. It's important.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 22 November 2017, 12:47
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
My father retired from the Marines, in 1975, after serving almost 21 years. He died two years later. I have since found some of his materials from the Marines and turned them over to a university be treated, catalogued, and preserved.

These men (your men) served an honorable service and deserve to be remembered, in print, as a legacy and as a record to commemorate their lives.

When I can, I am buying your book. It's important.
Thank you.
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 24 November 2017, 09:08
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Bitter old man.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LOFD
Posts: 6,171
It was an honor to write that review Magician.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 24 November 2017, 10:57
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 14,095
So I finished early this AM (Daughters puppy whined all night). It breaks my heart whenever I hear about Kevin Lannon. He was in the same Bn as me in the 9th ID and very very motivated to go 2/75. Your thoughts on the politicization of awards for medics goes back to his Plt Sgt in 2/1st Infantry who had 2 DSC's. When I asked him about it, he stated the Infantry Bn Cdr he served with in Viet Nam stated "No medic will get an MOH before I get mine..."

Frank Kearny comments were well made, IMHO. He came from the old school of Smoking Joe Stringham who was fond of relieving officers and IMHO used it as a gut check for his junior commanders.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 24 November 2017, 11:26
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
It was an honor to write that review Magician.
Thank you very much.
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 24 November 2017, 11:27
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So I finished early this AM (Daughters puppy whined all night). It breaks my heart whenever I hear about Kevin Lannon. He was in the same Bn as me in the 9th ID and very very motivated to go 2/75. Your thoughts on the politicization of awards for medics goes back to his Plt Sgt in 2/1st Infantry who had 2 DSC's. When I asked him about it, he stated the Infantry Bn Cdr he served with in Viet Nam stated "No medic will get an MOH before I get mine..."

Frank Kearny comments were well made, IMHO. He came from the old school of Smoking Joe Stringham who was fond of relieving officers and IMHO used it as a gut check for his junior commanders.
I had some things to get off my chest. Thank you for reading it, Ed!
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 24 November 2017, 21:36
0369 0369 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 26
Just got two copies. One for the Kindle, I need immediate gratification, and a hard copy of the library. Thank you for sharing your story.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 24 November 2017, 22:40
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0369 View Post
Just got two copies. One for the Kindle, I need immediate gratification, and a hard copy of the library. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thank you for buying it. I hope that you like it.
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 25 November 2017, 02:24
IMUA IMUA is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 782
Brother *******...

Just wanted you to know I ordered the book...will be in Mexico the month of December...will read it then. Proud of you Brother!

Keep well and keep the faith...

IMUA (RB)
__________________
"Life gives the examination today, then teaches the lesson tomorrow....chance favors the prepared mind!!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 25 November 2017, 15:54
magician's Avatar
magician magician is offline
Whatever Sucks the Most
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMUA View Post
Brother *******...

Just wanted you to know I ordered the book...will be in Mexico the month of December...will read it then. Proud of you Brother!

Keep well and keep the faith...

IMUA (RB)
I only put one photo of you in this one. I have a couple more of you that are going into Tales of the Rangers.

If you send me more pics of yourself during that era, or even in Baghdad, I can build chapters around them.

Miss you, bro.
__________________
Ranger Classes 12, 13, & 14-81: 1st PLT, "Bad 'Muthers," Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-84.
SFQC 4-84: ODA 151, Co B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-86. SF Association: M-10547.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:23.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET 1996-2018