SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 22 October 2019, 17:01
Did...did I do that?

Outstanding, sir. Glad he had people like to respond.
Old 10 November 2019, 11:13
Been There Done That

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dr-m...eteran-suicide

As with all who serve and for those who have served, suicide among veterans is an issue that hits home. It is also an issue that in theory should be avoidable. Tomorrow is a day that we remember those past and present brothers and sisters who gave to this great nation we live in. Lately I have made a serious effort to be there for anyone I know that serves, or has served, and is dealing with life's demons. This was an extremely rough year for our unit with the rotation we filled, and guys are suffering and will continue to suffer. Wearing the uniform we are all our brothers keeper to the best of our ability. Take care and happy veterans day all! DOL
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 10 November 2019, 23:06
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
0230 on Monday my phone rang. I didn't hear it but my wife did.

She woke me up and I looked at the display. It was my former beat partner from when I was in uniform. I immediately knew why he was calling. He had been hospitalized last spring for mental health issues and alcohol. The stress of divorce combined with drinking. Toxic combo for cops, and others.

Basically he is a bad drunk and was getting wrung out by his wife (now ex, who is also a lawyer).

I called him back right away and he was on the line with another former coworker. The local police were called (we all three live in different towns and worked in 4th).

I live one exit down the highway from him so I headed down there just as the medics and police arrived. He was cooperative but angry and drunk.

Basically he was on a substance abuse bender for about 3 weeks.

He was transported to the ED by ambulance. They allowed him to stay in a regular treatment room while I was there but eventually locked him in the mental health crisis unit. I made arrangements for him to be admitted to a program designed for cops/ff/etc. He had been there before.

He's locked in now and hopefully gets squared away.
Most importantly, he is still alive. Where there is a heart beat, there's hope.
Old 10 November 2019, 23:08
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
Thank you.
How's our boy doing? You still owe me a phone call about someone else we discussed.
Old 26 November 2019, 14:04

Unfortunately another warrior has let depression take his life. Active airforce airman matt carter stationed at nellis afb passed last night. Rest easy and may God bless and comfort your family.
Old 27 November 2019, 20:53
Authorized Personnel

Train your monkey-brain

I was watching the YouTube the other day of the people of India, catching monkeys. They didn’t have to work real hard to get them either.

If I could give anyone struggling with PTSD one piece of advice it'd be to train your monkey.

Be aware that your monkey-brain is winning. Be aware that we do not make significantly informative decisions with our monkey-brain. That part of the brain is there to make a decision but usually not the correct one. Train your monkey and get that dumb thing back in the cage!

The Monkey-Trappers take a shiny object and place it in a hole that is only big enough to fit its hand. They put it in there as the monkey is watching. As soon as the human leaves, the monkey puts his hand in the hole and grabs the object. The monkey is now unable to pull their hand out because the shiny object they are holding on to has made their hand bigger than the hole. The Monkey-Trapper walks over as the monkey struggles to remove his hand from the hole, still grasping the shiny object for dear life. The man simply puts a rope around the monkey's neck and walks away with it.

Don't live a life inside your monkey-brain. We’re all way smarter then monkeys.

Ask for help.
Being forced is way, way harder.

Our new posting rules