Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 13 May 2011, 12:40
Doc McNasty

RFI: Henley-Putnam University

Can any current student or alum offer a brief summary of your experience with this school? I'm interested in your impressions of: workload, time committment, instructor/faculty interaction, quality of curriculum, and virtual support/virtual learning environment.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:57
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Im very interested to hear experiences as well. I have read mixed reviews about the legitimacy/transferability of an education at this school.

They do not offer financial aid, but do accept the MGIB and have a .edu web address.

Below is a Q & A from their website. I had to chuckle at the first sentence.

http://www.henley-putnam.edu/78-131.htm

How much money does the VA provide for MGIB benefits?

Our typical BS course load is 9 units/quarter which equates to a ¾ time MGIB benefit rate. Our typical MS course load is 9 units/quarter which is reimbursed at the full time benefit rate. The actual dollar amounts are dependent on the chapter you qualify under. See VA Home page for more details (http://www.gibill.va.gov/).
Old 13 May 2011, 13:47

I started the intelligence management grad course 15 months ago. Its ok. They do all the paper work via doc u sign and verify your clearance, once cleared your transcripts are reviewed and set up your course plan. The professors I've had are great. Also other students in the same class will brainstorm with you on projects or book reviews. Yes it's costly and as for transfers out to other schools, I'm unsure because it is an online course. Hope this helps.
Old 13 May 2011, 16:43
Administrator

I know nothing about it. I do see that it is DETC accredited vice RA. This could be a problem if you are transferring credits or matriculating to a regionally accredited school since most won't accept DETC.

Whether the degree is gotten online or not, has nothing to do with the ability to transfer.
Old 13 May 2011, 18:44
Authorized Personnel

Not a Henley-Putnam student, but did have a run in with one of their "salesmen" at TREXPO last year.

As part of my ongoing search for a master's program, I did some research on them and was put off by their lack of regional accreditation. Coincidentaly, I ran into one of their promoters manning a booth at TREXPO. He spent a minute or two talking about their programs, but when I asked him about their lack of RA he said not to worry about it because "DETC is as good as RA" (patently untrue). I asked him about their plans to pursue RA and he said they didn't have any intention of doing so. When I expressed my concerns about going to a school that wasn't RA, he said "well, then I guess we aren't the school for you" and turned away.

What kind of programs are you looking at?

I also called Dick Marchinko a cockbreath at the same TREXPO and that didn't go well either.
Old 13 May 2011, 20:53
Anesthetized User

The school is located in San Jose California and established 2001.

As SB said, you will have a very hard time, if not impossible time transfering units to a regionally accredited college or university. The university makes no mention of Western Association of Schools and Colleges accreditation. From their website all courses/classes are distance learning so most likely they use Blackboard as their virtual classroom.

Also, another red flag for me is the fact that they do not offer, more likely not eligible to offer, financial aid.

Look for your school here:

http://www.acswasc.org/about_overview.htm

Support SOCNET.
Old 14 May 2011, 00:26
On the Extract Bird

Try this one as well brother... http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

They are accredited and VA Education supported.
Old 16 May 2011, 18:37
Confirmed User

AMU is good stuff. I am currently enrolled with them. Classes are easy schedules and they are easy to get alot of credit rolled over. Although tuition is 250 a credit hour. Which is the highest VA allows so they are considered a "for-profit" university. They are also regional and nationally accredited, I think one of the only full online colleges to have that.
Old 16 May 2011, 21:04
Confirmed User

+1 American Military University.
Old 7 July 2011, 16:45
Russian Tycoon

I am looking into pursuing another Master's Degree. Based on the selected major and cost considerations, my two top school choices are Henley-Putnam and AMU. Does anyone know why with Henley-Putnam you have to get prescreened before they give you any information on the courses and there is no such requirement at AMU? I am leaning towards AMU so far, but would not want to miss out on the curriculum quality. Thank you in advance for the feedback!
Old 7 July 2011, 19:35
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I am looking into pursuing another Master's Degree. Based on the selected major and cost considerations, my two top school choices are Henley-Putnam and AMU. Does anyone know why with Henley-Putnam you have to get prescreened before they give you any information on the courses and there is no such requirement at AMU? I am leaning towards AMU so far, but would not want to miss out on the curriculum quality. Thank you in advance for the feedback!
I cannot overstate the importance of attending a regionally accredited university or college.

AMU is fine and I would attend in a heartbeat if I was not enrolled in a different school already.

What do you want to major in for a grad. degree?

Support SOCNET.
Old 7 July 2011, 19:51
The Sagacious One

I just started doing work for the founder of HPU and he told me last week that they are in the final throws of getting their regionally accreditation. That is the one that really counts and takes the longest to acquire. I hope to start teaching there soon so I can chip away at a Doctorate in Security Studies.
Old 7 July 2011, 20:01
Russian Tycoon

I am debating between Intelligence Studies and Homeland Security with concentration in Intel. I am leaning towards the second option since it is more versatile. I was satisfied with the selection of courses offered by AMU, but can't say the same about HPU since I can't even view the selection of classes for each major.

So far I have only heard good things about AMU. I am extremely curious as far as to what exactly does HPU offer in their curriculum that I have to go through the dog and pony show of a background check (or do they vet through JPAS)?
Old 7 July 2011, 20:50
Been There Done That

I have a nationally accredited Bachelor's in Counterterrorism and Terrorism Studies from HPU. I asked the school leadership why they were not regionally accredited, and they said they didn't know, but many of their students asked the same question. I enjoyed the two years I spent reading and writing with HPU, and I certainly don't regret it. I knew when I started that I was picking a very select subject that would have limited application to a career outside the military. With that said, I will likely find work as a civilian supporting SEALs or other SOF, which is right in line with what I want to continue once I hang up the fins for the last time.
Old 8 July 2011, 08:31
Russian Tycoon

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I gotta make a decision soon, so I have enough time to get my tuition assistance approved.

I am not as concerned about the accreditation, as the quality of the curriculum. Since the majors I am looking at are relatively new and I do not have prior military experience, I am trying to be cautious. It would be a shame to sit through two year of mediocre classes, but looks like both HPU and AMU are GTG.
Old 9 July 2011, 03:17
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

If someone starts/finishes a program before they are regionally accredited, will they hold a regionally accredited degree if the school is granted regional accreditation after the fact?

Thanks
Old 9 July 2011, 08:05
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
If someone starts/finishes a program before they are regionally accredited, will they hold a regionally accredited degree if the school is granted regional accreditation after the fact?

Thanks

I will ask and see what he says.
Old 9 July 2011, 08:09
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I will ask and see what he says.
Yes, please, let us know... Thank you for looking into it!
Old 9 July 2011, 09:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I am debating between Intelligence Studies and Homeland Security with concentration in Intel. I am leaning towards the second option since it is more versatile. I was satisfied with the selection of courses offered by AMU, but can't say the same about HPU since I can't even view the selection of classes for each major.

So far I have only heard good things about AMU. I am extremely curious as far as to what exactly does HPU offer in their curriculum that I have to go through the dog and pony show of a background check (or do they vet through JPAS)?
There is no way in hell HPU could run a university program that requires a clearance as it would mean you'd have to deal with classified information, which to the best of my knowledge would be illegal.

AMU's IS degree is a good plan. You'll enjoy it, I think.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 July 2011, 22:38
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
There is no way in hell HPU could run a university program that requires a clearance as it would mean you'd have to deal with classified information, which to the best of my knowledge would be illegal.

AMU's IS degree is a good plan. You'll enjoy it, I think.

MixedLoad, PM sent.

Our new posting rules