SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Snipers

Old 17 November 2018, 07:04
Shakin' the bush Boss

New ghillie suit

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/army-se...per-camouflage

Some sort of flame resistant modular ghillie suit. Color me skeptical.
Old 17 November 2018, 09:28
Calculating Infinity...

Long gone are the days of spending hours in your barracks room, drinking beer and stripping burlap.
Old 17 November 2018, 20:00
Been There Done That

We sewed an old soccer net across the back, glued canvas to the thighs, elbows. forearms, and knees...and then beer, bullshit and burlap. Hate to sound too damn hillbilly, but burlap always smelled like home--even when you're in California, listening to Zonk175 bitching about how bad that shit stinks...good times.

For Zonk175 the next time he pops in: "Ain't no way in hell that golf club headed mutherfucker spotted my ass!"

Edit: The walker still had the mic keyed...E-5 Rangers have no sense of humor when their authority is questioned by a smartass PFC.
Old 18 November 2018, 21:00
Been There Done That

That kid they keep showing in the video needs to snap out of it. Typical brown burlap and he's surrounded by green. Stuffing local vegetation in it make me wonder why he needs the burlap in the first place.

He'd be better off doing something to camo his objective lens
Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2018-11-18-19h55m03s442.png (1.10 MB, 176 views)
File Type: png vlcsnap-2018-11-18-19h58m21s270.png (1.21 MB, 173 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 November 2018, 21:19
Calculating Infinity...

Haha... there is noone more qualified than you to pick apart those bullshit PR spots. I noticed the same things
Old 18 November 2018, 21:36
Shakin' the bush Boss

But, but, but he's got a can on his rifle and a PEQ 15 and his face paint is pretty. About .0001% of the population realizes he's one big pretty walking "contrast with the background". He'd last about 7 minutes on a stalk if he laid real still.
Old 19 November 2018, 14:01
Authorized Personnel

FNG question for you guys since we're discussing "contrast with background": What are your thoughts on an all black rifle, (even with the multicam can, PEQ, etc.)? Do you guys paint the rifle, throw a drape or cover over it, or not worry about it?

(I'm asking because some of the guys on my LE team have painted their rifles some variation of brown/green/tan and I wasn't sure if that was worthwhile endeavor, or if I'd just be better served huffing the paint instead! "
Old 19 November 2018, 14:08
Shakin' the bush Boss

Most guys paint their rifles. It pisses the armorer off, but he'll be OK eventually.

Ghillies are a long standing part of the schoolhouse stalk exercises, and seldom ever used outside that. While cool looking, they are quite impractical for field use. Most guys have a smaller drape they use after the schoolhouse.
Old 19 November 2018, 15:24
Been There Done That

Krylon is your friend....
Old 19 November 2018, 15:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic4070 View Post
FNG question for you guys since we're discussing "contrast with background": What are your thoughts on an all black rifle, (even with the multicam can, PEQ, etc.)? Do you guys paint the rifle, throw a drape or cover over it, or not worry about it?

Having an all black rifle increases your risk of compromise.

Same thing I tell police sniper teams that are forced to deploy with all-black doorkicker uniforms for either "team integrity", commonality or some other nonsense. The Army did a study way back in 1974 only no one's ever heard of it much less read it. It compared detection times between different uniforms like OD jungle fatigues and all black uniforms and it wasn't even a contest.

Getting back to the rifles all you have to do is look at the pictures of the Sniper Hero I provided. Apart from his stereotypical ghillie suit it's his rifle that really helps make him stand out like a bastard on Father's Day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 November 2018, 15:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

I heard they sent it to the Sergeant's Major Academy for testing and their only recommendation was eye pro and a reflective belt.
Old 19 November 2018, 15:42
Been There Done That

I couldn't resist I had to find out who this guy is.

Turns out he's a Mentor and a Model Soldier (click on link)

"Army Sgt. Ian Rivera-Aponte lies motionless in the tall grass, hidden by face paint and his ghillie suit. He stares down the scope of his M2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle and waits to take the shot. This is the life of a sniper."

"...he’s part of the only infantry unit in the Army Reserve, the 100th Infantry Battalion, based at Fort Shafter, Hawaii. He’s tremendously skilled at his craft. His personal best shot was a target 2,450 meters away.
Rivera-Aponte was one of six soldiers who were recently flown here for a photoshoot with Army Reserve Communications, the Army Marketing and Research Group and the U.S. Army Recruiting Command. He’ll be featured on upcoming commercials and posters."

And my personal favorite quote:

He was asked about how realistic recent popular movies are compared to what he goes through with his unit.
“I laugh at some of the movies and the way they portray snipers, but they are entertaining,” Rivera-Aponte said. “Things that would take days to prepare they do it in five minutes.”

And knowing is half the battle...

Old 19 November 2018, 16:10
Administrator

I was a "Sniper Model" one time, I think it was in 1991. They took pictures of me and a dude named McGowen for the "New" sniper manual. I was the spotter. I thought it was weird because they had one pose where they told me to act like I was holding binos. I told them to get me some binos then. They said I didn't need them because they would put them in later. Then I saw the new manual later when it came out and all of our pics looked like pencil drawings or some shit so it made sense I guess. I still have those pics somewhere.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 19 November 2018, 16:35
Been There Done That

Me too. When I was at the Fort Bragg SOTIC, Boucher had me & Mike McClister pose for some Humpty Dumpty Captain from SWC PAO. As the spotter he told me to get on my knees and point at a "target" while Clutch looked through the scope. We both told him that snipers don't do that. Aside from the fact that I'm asking to be shot there's no point in gesturing to someone looking downrange through a fucking rifle scope. It was just that easy.

Then Tubby got in trouble for selling the photos to the Fayetteville newspaper. Mac holding an experimental McMillan rifle (NOT an M24) made the cover of like one of the first few editions of Special Warfare magazine and was then used as a collage in 1993.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pages from pdf_8282.jpg (34.5 KB, 106 views)

Our new posting rules