Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 December 2017, 01:00
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

That was fun and reminiscent of 1920s football, or whenever it was when the forward pass wasn't legal yet. I was impressed that the Navy kicker got that ball to go far enough to make a 48yard field goal under those conditions with room to spare, even if he was off a little to the left.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 December 2017, 01:21
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I figured as much, but if I were a cadet or middie I wouldn't want to miss it.
After a couple years of having one or more parades, inspections, or a mandatory football game every Saturday, your opinion kind of changes on that.
Old 10 December 2017, 07:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
The field was covered in snow.
That's Football.
Old 10 December 2017, 13:47
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
I don't know - getting away from school would be nice and the game would be a hoot, but the lead-up feels distinctly like the hours before a division change of command. At least, that's what it was like when I was in basic at Ft Dix and they bused us all to the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
After a couple years of having one or more parades, inspections, or a mandatory football game every Saturday, your opinion kind of changes on that.
Yeah, I guess I didn't factor that in.

Not unlike the big visit the older President Bush paid to Ft. Stewart on July 4, 1991. I had put in to go ride a float in my hometown parade, so I wasn't there for it.

I did see the hoops the troops were made to jump through, lengthy practice sessions in some of the worst heat, guys were dropping like flies from heat exhaustion just standing there. One of my roommates would return from these sessions looking like death warmed over. To this day, the only place I ever want to be if a president visits my AO is someplace else.

As a civilian, though, looks like it would be an interesting game to attend. Maybe even better knowing I no longer have to put up with pomp and ceremony that the troops in attendance do.
Old 10 December 2017, 14:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I didn't factor that in.
Not that it was a huge deal, but when you get there early enough to march on and then have to stand for the whole game, after the first few times football games dropped way down the list of preferred activities when compared to those that didn't require wearing a uniform or prohibit having a beer.

Having said that, it's hard to beat the experience of being in the cadet section when you're beating another service academy, or maybe even more so for us, BYU or Notre Dame.
Old 10 December 2017, 15:41
Confirmed User

It would be more fun to sit on Navy side an root for ARMY, an the bets part you could get away with it,
Old 10 December 2017, 16:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Not that it was a huge deal, but when you get there early enough to march on and then have to stand for the whole game, after the first few times football games dropped way down the list of preferred activities when compared to those that didn't require wearing a uniform or prohibit having a beer....
Yeah - we weren't supposed to have any beer either. wink-wink-nudge-nudge

It's amazing how, um, inattentive drill sergeants can be....

Old 10 December 2017, 18:15
Been There Done That

Quote:

It's amazing how, um, inattentive drill sergeants can be....

Only if you share
Old 10 December 2017, 21:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Only if you share
If memory serves (it's been almost 40 years, mind you), they had no problem finding their own refreshments.

Old 10 December 2017, 21:38
Confirmed User

Scored some tickets through a friend, and sat on the Army side adjacent to the cadet corps. Scanning the other side of the stands, I saw a bed sheet hung by the midshipmen that was spray painted in block letters, "NOT COMMUNISTS"

I laughed pretty fucking hard at that, but no cadets thought it was the least bit funny.
Old 10 December 2017, 21:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
Scored some tickets through a friend, and sat on the Army side adjacent to the cadet corps. Scanning the other side of the stands, I saw a bed sheet hung by the midshipmen that was spray painted in block letters, "NOT COMMUNISTS"

I laughed pretty fucking hard at that, but no cadets thought it was the least bit funny.
That is awesome. Message sent.
19 Oct 2017
Old 10 December 2017, 23:42
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
"NOT COMMUNISTS"
Shots fired!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 11 December 2017, 01:28
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:

That's solid work.

The squids have always had a knack for that. Not too long ago they painted one of the jets on the AFA terrazzo in blue angel colors, and when I was there while the earth was cooling, they managed to paint over the giant "AIR FORCE" in the stadium bleachers with "GO NAVY". Easier said than done in one night. I was impressed.
Old 11 December 2017, 16:57

Since Army is on a roll with back to back wins, might be time to launch another operation to steal the goat.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...shipmen-mascot
Old 12 December 2017, 12:10
Been There Done That

LOL

Quote:
Since Army is on a roll with back to back wins, might be time to launch another operation to steal the goat.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...shipmen-mascot
Not the first time an attempt was made on those nasty things.
The Navy goat was successfully stolen in the mid-70's.
Not to be outdone, the mids tried, unsuccessfully, to steal one, or more, of the Army mules. That operation was not well planned and ended disastrously.
Old 12 December 2017, 15:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
I have never been to a game at the academy, but I can assure you, when Navy has come to town, plenty of middies were imbibing. I may or may not have been complicit.
Old 12 December 2017, 16:45
Sub Rosa

I grew up not far from West Point. Because my dad was retired Army, we were at the academy for weekly commissary shopping and medical care. We went to plenty of football games. Also used to drive-by the stable for the mules, down from the stadium heading towards the back way to the south gate. I used to hear stories about all of the shenanigans surrounding the goat and mule napping. Brings back memories.
Old 12 December 2017, 17:05
Going cyclic!!

We went to the Navy-AFA game in CO last year. The Falcon flying was pretty cool
Old 12 December 2017, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
We went to the Navy-AFA game in CO last year. The Falcon flying was pretty cool
What would be really cool is if, after the falcon started its flight, a tasty morsel in the form of some bird crossed its sightline and the falcon nailed it in mid air.

In the end, no matter how well trained, birds are going to do whatever the hell they want. Like cats. One of the falcons (I assume they train more than one) actually flew off during the Independence Bowl in Louisiana a few years back.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...wl-game-122810
Old 12 December 2017, 18:06
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
What would be really cool is if, after the falcon started its flight, a tasty morsel in the form of some bird crossed its sightline and the falcon nailed it in mid air.

In the end, no matter how well trained, birds are going to do whatever the hell they want. Like cats. One of the falcons (I assume they train more than one) actually flew off during the Independence Bowl in Louisiana a few years back.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...wl-game-122810

That happens all. the. time. And always gets a standing ovation from the convic...uh, cadets.

Our new posting rules