SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 December 2017, 02:55
Nobody Special

Can someone shed some light on this?

I encountered an individual in another forum who claimed to be an Army veteran, then linked photo's on himself covered in medals. I am wondering if some of the folks here maybe recognize his campaign ribbons and could enlighten me. I'll link the photo's. Something just didn't seem right.

https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...64&oe=5AC1DB7E

https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...c5&oe=5A92B617

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by JohnG; 12 December 2017 at 03:06.
Old 12 December 2017, 07:34
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I encountered an individual in another forum who claimed to be an Army veteran, then linked photo's on himself covered in medals. I am wondering if some of the folks here maybe recognize his campaign ribbons and could enlighten me. I'll link the photo's. Something just didn't seem right.

https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...64&oe=5AC1DB7E

https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...c5&oe=5A92B617

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
His CV looks suspect too when it comes to military experience. Not to mention he states he has a BS and MSC from Evergreen State College. That alone would make me go "hmmmm." Poser.
Old 12 December 2017, 07:55
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I find it suspicious that anyone would be so desperate to show off old bling that they would poke that many holes into a leather jacket. If he isn't a poser, he's a truly sad example of what Nick Palmisciano calls a Basic Vet.

(shameless plug for crossthread points!)

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 December 2017, 09:23
Voodoo guru

And that looks like a decent cut of leather too.
Now its holy.

That first pic with the mini, AND full size bronze star is a bit comical.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 12 December 2017, 09:40
Authorized Personnel

Not sure of all of the medals due to not being able to see them. Looks like he has a HSM (humanitary service award), Kuwait liberation. SWA Service and the rest of the “thanks for showing up” awards (NAtional defense, etc)

ETA, not sure if you are asking but he also has a Bronze Star, Arcoms, AAMs, Good Conduct and ARmed Forces Expeditionary. All awards point to service In Iraq

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots

Last edited by 10thvet; 12 December 2017 at 09:48.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:20
At the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
His CV looks suspect too when it comes to military experience. Not to mention he states he has a BS and MSC from Evergreen State College. That alone would make me go "hmmmm." Poser.
His dates of service were from '78-'92 according to another profile. He also lists rank as Sgt. in the Combat Engineers, he has "retired" on the profile as well.

The only medals I could find for him were two awards posted on that website we don't link to. It was an Arcom and a Bronze Star.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:33
Going cyclic!!

lol, the 2nd pic looks like Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince
Old 12 December 2017, 12:12
Nobody Special

Where it seemed to go off the rails to me was he said he went to Basic Training at Ft Benning in 1979, but in his CV it states he was a Team Leader between 1978-1985 "Dispatched soldiers and equipment to emergency areas, formulated, planned, organized and coodinated repairs" (but almost every word is capitalized).
In his Bronze Star bio on Hall of Valor, it states he was born 02/21/61 (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=126995) which means he would have been 17 years old at that time. If he went to Basic in 1979 that just doesn't jibe.
I checked the site Hall of Valor and you submit your information for listing and they are supposed to vette it then post it.

The image that I didn't post that is most suspect is on here https://www.facebook.com/rudy.sookbi...54985858194236

I see in one photo on the above site, it appears he has a picture of himself with a 1st Armored Div insignia on his shoulder.

Last edited by Ace; 12 December 2017 at 15:00. Reason: Admin Edit
Old 12 December 2017, 14:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I checked the site Hall of Valor and you submit your information for listing and they are supposed to vette it then post it.
The site 'verifies' your award through the award citation or narrative that the individual submits. It's not much of a verification process. That Bronze Star write-up was pretty pathetic and closely resembled the ARCOM write-up. I don't believe that for a second. He was an SGT / E-5 at roughly 12 years in service, and managed to earn a BSM? I believe the E-5 part and maybe the ARCOM. That's about it.

All recipients in the database are verified by source material such as official award citations, narratives and/or synopses from individuals or records from the National Archives.
Old 12 December 2017, 15:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
.......He was an SGT / E-5 at roughly 12 years in service, and managed to earn a BSM? I believe the E-5 part and maybe the ARCOM. That's about it.
I was awarded the MSM as an E-5. Not very common but not unheard of either.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 12 December 2017, 16:06
Administrator

The BSM may have indeed been a theater medal and not an individual award....but that being said, something just doesn't sit right with this guy....

Basic vet indeed.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 12 December 2017, 16:55

I thought he was Korean with all the bling on his chest.
Old 12 December 2017, 17:48
Confirmed User

Fraud or not he is wearing them incorrectly, full size medals should not be placed on civilian attire unless it is formal wear and then only miniatures can be worn or at east in the USMC and besides that, who in the hell puts medals on a leather jacket? All kinds of shenanigans going on with this.

IMO most people who broad cast themselves like this are phonies looking for the attention as most people who have actually earned these awards really don't give a shit about them.
Old 12 December 2017, 18:06
**** Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
His CV is the only thing more tacky than his leather jacket.

~ Frédéric Bastiat
Old 12 December 2017, 19:08
At the Barn

I have a funny story about awards and dates....I had joined in 1990 and received the ND ribbon, like everyone else, right out of boot. After that, I earned enough crap in numerous deployments with the Navy that it was getting ridiculous to try and wear the ribbons with the dress uniform until they changed the females to the jumper tops. Fast forward several years and I am in the AF reserve and just getting ready to graduate from Security Forces school at Lackland and I was in dress uniform. I had to go over to the BX for something and I think that every kid in there must of thought I was some sort of war hero. It was kind of weird and I said I would never do that shit again.
I have seen people in the military with more time than I had with almost no ribbons. I wondered if they were just too lazy and cheap to do their ribbons or if they really didn't have any.
In any case, I would never wear any of my military decorations in civilian clothes. It was something I did in the past, but I have moved on. To me it's like retiring from an airline and still walking around in a pilot uniform.
Old 12 December 2017, 19:19
Swimming Upstream

I've got 30 years and have half the ribbons of a National Guard SFC I know. I feel...inadequate in comparison.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 12 December 2017, 19:22
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I've got 30 years and have half the ribbons of a National Guard SFC I know. I feel...inadequate in comparison.
You're good enough and smart enough and people like you.
Old 12 December 2017, 19:25
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I never received my good conduct medal.

I thought those were pretty much gimmes.
Old 12 December 2017, 19:46
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I never received my good conduct medal.

I thought those were pretty much gimmes.
haha. . You forgot to reenlist!
Old 13 December 2017, 12:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
In any case, I would never wear any of my military decorations in civilian clothes.
My kid's weddings, future Marine Corps balls, and my coffin. Otherwise, I agree. And I'm wearing my miniature medals, not the full size ones...

Our new posting rules