SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 December 2017, 19:10
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
At least in my area, the late 90's early 00's Boxster's are excellent deals for a fun toy car. You need to replace the IMS bearing, a known and fatal problem, but for 10k'ish for a used S model, it's worth it.

Another great YT car channel is 19bozzy92. Pro-photog who does car stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91qPMcBVMc

S/F....Ken M
You can pick up a Boxster for $10k just about anywhere. As for the IMS issues, typically if they are going to grenade they do it early, but it should still be fixed. There is also an issue with the cooling lines that need to be pinned (911ís anyways). The Boxster would be a great little autocross car, except for the fact that while dependable, when something breaks the parts are still coming from Stuttgart

I drive the shit out of my GT3, like itís supposed to be driven. However, just had the intermediate service done this week

Now I need something thatís a tad cheaper to maintain, ergo 964.
Old 30 December 2017, 18:45
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
At least in my area, the late 90's early 00's Boxster's are excellent deals for a fun toy car. You need to replace the IMS bearing, a known and fatal problem, but for 10k'ish for a used S model, it's worth it.

Another great YT car channel is 19bozzy92. Pro-photog who does car stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k91qPMcBVMc

S/F....Ken M
Full on Fuck ton of cars showing up at auction right now from the flood zones of Dallas/Fl. #2017hurricaneflooding
Salvage title, but real-deals for those wanting to simply have a car to build on the cheap. Teslas, Porsche, Lambo's. . .Mustangs. All of 'em. Or good place to maybe find a LS/? type motor to build off of complete with wiring, sell the rest.

IMS. . .Did you see why they used that thing? I could hardly believe it when I finally found some diagrams showing what that was about. Still can hardly believe it.

About the time that IMS starts tap-tap-tappin, I'd be looking at a turbo-Subaru retrofit And drive on.
Old 30 December 2017, 21:54
Make a desert and call it peace.

^^Subaru's have their own issues(the shop does a lot of machining for a local Subie builder), but, at this point in life, I assume all German engineers are basically frustrated cuckoo clock makers. Their design is always about 5x more complicated than it needs to be, generally for a theoretical or ultra-minor improvement in some metric(performance, durability,etc) I looked really hard at a used Boxster, then tried one out and rapidly decided that being 6'2" wasn't going to work with a Porsche daily driver.

Quote:
E5M, hopefully stupidity costs enough to affect learning.
Well, I don't know about that being possible, but he paid off his balance and took his junk away the other day, so IMO, it's a win. I really do think being associated with some customers, like this goon, drives away potential customers who don't suck.

Mingo, that old woodie, which gen hemi is it getting? The new gen 3 hemis are good engines, could be LS beaters, if the idiots at Fiat-Chrysler would have opened up the electronic engine management like GM did with the LS. H

For the old car restorers, I like this channel, A Road Less Travelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjOh78bA_KY

This is spot on about nothing ever fitting. There's no such thing as "drop in parts." S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 30 December 2017, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
No replacement for displacement What sort of compression?
My junk, 10.8:1. That Ford BB, about 14:1. It's older stuff(mid-90's), but the heads are surprisingly good. Like almost 500cfm @ .900 lift good. Surprised everybody in the shop. I'm not sure what it runs for fuel, probably C16, if I had to guess. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 17 July 2018, 10:23

The latest episode about the 68 Mustang GT going to France and being rebuilt is pretty good. Nice to see they drive on the proper side of the road in France. S/F...Ken M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnR3ebtSEM
Old 17 July 2018, 10:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
And I see this gorgeous mutherfucker every morning when I walk through the door. I stop every damn time and just admire this piece of art, resurrected, restored, and flawless. Cars like these were minted when Detroit ruled the world....
Not bad, Mingo. I'll take that 'vette and raise you this. Inspired me to start searching for an uncut one to restore. Can't wait to get started. A true work of art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bronco-grey1.jpg (30.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 17 July 2018, 12:16
Been There Done That

The old school Bronco's and International Scouts were, and remain some of my favorite vehicles. As for the Mustang I posted, 1st run this past Friday, lost it hitting second gear and put it into the wall--already got the front end and quarter panels pulled, rail frames straightened, ready to drop a new engine and blower (400 more horsepower)--it'll be back to racing by Friday night...
Old 17 July 2018, 12:21
Shakin' the bush Boss

That's an expensive 300'.
Old 17 July 2018, 12:34
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Not bad, Mingo. I'll take that 'vette and raise you this. Inspired me to start searching for an uncut one to restore. Can't wait to get started. A true work of art.
If I only had the money......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17 July 2018, 19:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
My favorite project--and it'll finish out with a nice Hemi. I'll post the after pictures when it completed.
I clean a big machine shop at night . West Salem Tool and die. The boss is a dodge freak and owns some beauties. He has a patent on two different sets of rocker arms for Hemi's. They are machined out of aluminum . I clean up the mess. That is my claim to fame in the classic car world!
Old 17 July 2018, 20:00
Been There Done That

Same with me for the most part--I'll never own anything that nice, but I love piddling around on them from time to time.
Old 17 July 2018, 20:23
Shakin' the bush Boss

One of Mingo's buddies just put an engine in my "classic" car. It's a wore out 96 Firebird that I paid 3k for. I'm too cheap to have anything really nice.
Old 17 July 2018, 21:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
One of Mingo's buddies just put an engine in my "classic" car. It's a wore out 96 Firebird that I paid 3k for. I'm too cheap to have anything really nice.
Shit...you got a damn nice ride my man. No doubt it handles well, and the other guys that did the work on it were spot on and did a really clean job--makes is easier for the next guy.
Old 17 July 2018, 21:33
Shakin' the bush Boss

Between the Billstien shocks and the Eibach springs that old fucker handles like it's on rails.
Old 17 July 2018, 21:41
Been There Done That

Oh no doubt, the ole Bird still has a lot of life left in her.

Our new posting rules