SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 17 February 2015, 11:58
Confirmed User

I bought a whisperlite about 20 years ago based on everyone raving about it. I spent the next 15 years trying to find a way to love it. I sold it at a garage sale for $20 about 5 years ago. I could never find the right combination of pressure in the bottle, angle for the bottle and stove, quantity of fuel in the tank, and position of the sun to make it work consistently for me.
I have used the Esbit type stove for years with zero problems, and typically will augment the pellet with a bit of wood bark or something off of the ground. You can also find old surplus Hexamine tabs at some mil. surplus stores that work well in them.
I recently got a JetBoil, and feel about that how RGR. Montcalm feels about his Whisperlite. That thing just works. It goes in my camping pack, but not in my Go-Bag due to size and weight. The Esbit wins in those categories.
Old 17 February 2015, 22:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
I bought a whisperlite about 20 years ago... I could never find the right combination of pressure in the bottle, angle for the bottle and stove, quantity of fuel in the tank, and position of the sun to make it work consistently for me.
In the mid-90's MSR had an issue with the wrong jets (orifice) being put into stoves sold in the U.S., some shipped with the orifice meant for paraffin. Won't work worth a shit with white gas, or unleaded gas, or...

Great stove, I own several. For expedition work and high altitudes there is little to match an MSR. But it is not what goes in my BOBag. As stated, it depends on what your vision is for the use of the bag. Mine is an in-extremis solution to get to the house/cache/ - or just off the X...

For a stove in my BOB I carry a 6 oz. contact lens solution bottle filled with denatured alcohol, & a small cat food can that I used a single hole paper punch to punch a hole every 1/4" around the top. 1/4" of alcohol in the bottom of the can will boil a canteen cup 1/2 full of ice cold water. I get about 16 "boils" per 6 oz. of alcohol - that's 3 - 4 days of travel for me in the winter.

It's cheap, easy to replace the can (soda can, tuna can, etc.) and I can burn any flammable fuel in it - but the alcohol is QUIET and does not produce an odor that can be detected from more than a foot or two.

http://zenstoves.net/

That link takes you to one of the best "How To" alcohol stove construction sites I know of.

Unless you are working above 10,000' MSL or in 30 deg below zero wx, I'd recommend the alcohol stove for a BOBag - but YMMV...

They are a fun hobby :)
Old 18 February 2015, 01:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
In the mid-90's MSR had an issue with the wrong jets (orifice) being put into stoves sold in the U.S., some shipped with the orifice meant for paraffin. Won't work worth a shit with white gas, or unleaded gas, or...
Mine was purchased in '95.
Old 18 February 2015, 04:36
Been There Done That

Here's a cheap alcohol burner- the SBS used them when they came to Alaska in 92...

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Alcohol-B...packing+stoves
Old 18 February 2015, 12:14
Been There Done That

Found a link to the Fancy Feast Cat Food can stove that I carry.

Perfect size for canteen cups or the round titanium cups (which I prefer for weight and heat transfer!).

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-...alcohol-stove/

The main thing with these stoves is to light the alcohol, then wait 30-40 seconds to let it begin to "boil". Then put the cup/pot onto the stove. The cup seals the top of the stove and the flame begins to "jet" out of the holes you've punched.

I've experimented a lot hole patterns, using a small pad of rock wool in the bottom during 20 below weather, etc. The link has a decent discussion about weight and performance compared to other types of stoves - I concur with many of the comments.

As with most stoves - the windscreen is ALL important... The best and cheapest windscreens are simple to make: Buy a disposable aluminum foil Turkey Roaster at WalMart or grocery store. Take it home and cut the bottom square out of it. Next, put your alcohol stove on the counter with your usual cooking pot or cup on top of the stove. Stand the heavy aluminum foil sheet up next to it and mark the height of the stove/cup combo. Add 1/2 inch to that and cut to height. Now, bend the windscreen around the stove/cup combo and see how much overlap you get if you leave 2 inches clearance all around. Mark the overlap. Then "break" (fold) the foil windscreen in opposite directions at the overlap lines. When you bend it around the stove - the folded ends will "hook" into each other and it remains stable... When done with using the stove/windbreak/fuel bottle - just wrap the windbreak around the bottle and can and slide into a sock. Complete package :)

RM - The ones sold on amazon & ebay are good, but the price is way more than a .60 cent can of cat food...

PS: Denatured alcohol at Home Depot by the gallon or quart is cheep. You could spring for a bottle of Everclear grain alcohol, very spendy but it is the same thing as denatured, only you CAN drink it... Dual purpose item I suppose :)

Last edited by sixgun; 18 February 2015 at 12:30.
Old 26 March 2015, 17:15
The Sagacious One

Here is an interesting spin.....

Ala carte Go Bag
Old 1 April 2015, 23:25
The Sagacious One

OK, so next on the agenda is fire starters, anyone making a crack about this gets banned, you know who you are, Jafo.

I carry several different ferro sticks, lighters etc. Here is a self contained camp fire disk I made from parafin and wood pellets.

Sooooo I had some time this past weekend and have been thinking about making some sort of fire starter with the wood pellets I buy and put in my horse stalls. Typically, you add water and they swell up when the pellet breaks apart. Initially, I was concerned that when I added the pellets to the hot wax, they would swell.

No such luck, so what I did was melt a 1 lb box of parafin wax in a 1 lb coffee can and then spoon in the horse bedding pellets. place in the fridge until cool. I then cut the can off and cut the log into cakes with a saw. Here is what I got....

Here is what they look like cut up. They are very hard, like hockey pucks. This one had just been lit in this picture.

After about 15 minutes, I thought it might burn an hour.

20 minutes, it was burning up pretty quick.

I "stirred" it a bit with a stick, here it is at 30 minutes. It lasted about 34 minutes total. Easy to light, I have the other 4 wrapped in wax paper and stuffed in my pack.

The pellets make it burn longer and the parafin protects it from getting wet. I have to prefect my technique and then I will make a video.
Old 2 April 2015, 00:19
Confirmed User

I used to do something very similar when I was growing up and we'd go hiking for a week or so at a time. We would use a small paper cup and mix parafin and saw dust in them. We would stick a waxed candle wick in the middle for easy lighting. They worked great in inclimate weather and would burn for a long time.
Old 2 April 2015, 17:04
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Your post.
Ok one thought. Being wax how would it hold up in a pack in the trunk of a hot car? Or sitting in a hot garage?

and please ban JAFO !

Last edited by Chimo; 2 April 2015 at 17:33.
Old 2 April 2015, 18:17
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Ok one thought. Being wax how would it hold up in a pack in the trunk of a hot car? Or sitting in a hot garage?

and please ban JAFO !
Time will tell. The parafin is really hard and was difficult to melt. I have them wrapped up in wax paper to boot.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 5 April 2015 at 20:07.
Old 2 April 2015, 18:50
Confirmed User

They should have the same melting point as a candle. I used to melt candles in the cups.

I would recommend fairly small pucks, maybe 2"x2". You'll be able to carry more pucks in the same amount of space and you'll burn up one puck per fire.
Old 5 April 2015, 20:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastro View Post
They should have the same melting point as a candle. I used to melt candles in the cups.

I would recommend fairly small pucks, maybe 2"x2". You'll be able to carry more pucks in the same amount of space and you'll burn up one puck per fire.
Good point, they are pretty big. My main goal was to check to see if the pellets would swell up like the do in water.

Next batch, I will use a shipping tube made of cardboard with foil fashioned over the end and rubber band holding it in place. That way, I can leave the cardboard tube on when I cut them.
Old 5 April 2015, 20:22
Old Scroll

Try cotton balls soaked in vaseline.
Put them into a rigid container that seals well.

Amazing burn time for their size / weight.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 5 April 2015, 22:03
The Sagacious One

I sat here in my office on night and made about 5 film canisters full of cotton balls and vaseline. Now I need to try them out.
Old 5 April 2015, 23:12
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Time will tell. The parafin is really hard and was difficult to melt. I have them wrapped up in wax paper to boot.
Storage could be a concern. I had one of the Coughlan's 36 hour candles (which comes in the metal tin) accidentally stored sideways in my trunk, and the summertime trunk heat was enough to melt to the point that the wax flowed out into the tool bag holding it.
Old 6 April 2015, 09:39
Puttin' on the foil

I've been using these since I switch to charcoal grilling 5 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7417-Fir.../dp/B001AN7RGG

I've had these sit out in the sun on my deck in the hottest days of the summer and they don't melt lose their shape. Can't say if being in a bag or trunk in that heat would be any different though. They're also cheap.
Old 4 May 2015, 07:22
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

Tried these out this weekend with a magnesium starter and was impressed. Tried without the cotton ball first and was able to start the fire but it quickly went out. I added the cotton ball and it caught quick and burned for a while. Added a old Rx bottle filled with soaked cotton balls to all my bags.
Old 4 May 2015, 11:20
33,024 - R.I.P.

Spool Tool

I just bought a couple of these Spool Tools for my bags. Sootch00 recommended them in one of his latest reviews. Thought I'd give them a try. Beats knotted up cordage in the bottom of the pack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 4 May 2015, 22:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastro View Post

I think the final solution is going to be a cardboard shipping tube. That way there is really nothing that goes to waste (I had to cut the coffee can off after the wax cooled. I should be able to buy those tubes in almost any size I want.
Old 4 May 2015, 22:12
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

That's what I use and it's just stupid easy.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules