Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 4 October 2017, 22:16
Darwin Award Presenter

VA home loan benefits IMPORTANT

I spoke with the VA mortgage people today and learned something important I was unaware of, and would be willing to bet 90% of Veterans do not know either.

The mortgage guy asked if I had used my VA benefit before, and I replied yes, but the loan is paid off. I knew you could get another VA loan, but was not aware that this benefit can be used over and over. He went on to tell me that many vets wait till they are older to use that one benefit. You can actually have 2 at one time, provided one is primary residence.

Passing this on, hopefully it can help Someone out.

Last edited by 57Medic; 4 October 2017 at 22:17. Reason: auto incorrect
Old 5 October 2017, 06:08
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
I spoke with the VA mortgage people today and learned something important I was unaware of, and would be willing to bet 90% of Veterans do not know either.

The mortgage guy asked if I had used my VA benefit before, and I replied yes, but the loan is paid off. I knew you could get another VA loan, but was not aware that this benefit can be used over and over. He went on to tell me that many vets wait till they are older to use that one benefit. You can actually have 2 at one time, provided one is primary residence.

Passing this on, hopefully it can help Someone out.
True and if you use it a second time, they charge a slightly higher VA fee. But if you have any VA disability, that fee is waved, but you will need to provide them proof of your rating.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 5 October 2017, 12:04

Is there any additional advantage to being a dual-veteran couple?
Old 5 October 2017, 22:43
Darwin Award Presenter

Unsure, but it would afford both parties to purchase (provided one is the primary residence)
Old 6 October 2017, 08:39
The Sagacious One

Like Purple stated, I believe you have to pay a higher fee for each subsequent use. The total entitlement is something like $627k dollars total, at one time.
Old 6 October 2017, 11:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
True and if you use it a second time, they charge a slightly higher VA fee. But if you have any VA disability, that fee is waved, but you will need to provide them proof of your rating.
Indeed. The two concrete benefits I've received due to my rating is having the fee waived when I used my VA loan guarantee a second time and a free lifetime pass to national parks, forests, etc....
Old 6 October 2017, 14:11
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Indeed. The two concrete benefits I've received due to my rating is having the fee waived when I used my VA loan guarantee a second time and a free lifetime pass to national parks, forests, etc....
http://hanfordsentinel.com/news/opinion/columnists/veterans-corner-national-parks-access-pass-available-for-veterans/article_bfd1747c-d51e-11e2-a269-001a4bcf887a.html
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 6 October 2017, 19:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
http://hanfordsentinel.com/news/opinion/columnists/veterans-corner-national-parks-access-pass-available-for-veterans/article_bfd1747c-d51e-11e2-a269-001a4bcf887a.html
Yep - that's the one. And living as I do in close proximity to 2 National Parks I'm wearing that puppy out.

Our new posting rules