Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 22 September 2017, 19:23
Bitter old man.

I had zero luck contacting a VSO. Was trying to help a member here. Needless to say VFW and The Legion will never get another dime for dues from me.
On my own claim I went and did it myself and got 70%.
Old 22 September 2017, 20:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I had zero luck contacting a VSO. Was trying to help a member here. Needless to say VFW and The Legion will never get another dime for dues from me.

Kind of the same deal for me. I was ignorant of any organizations like mentioned earlier in the thread. Hearing was almost an automatic 10%. Along with foot, knee & back issues (130 static lines) my whole chassis was screwed up. A VA physical prior to retirement gave me 40% upon retirement. Everything rated required operations at one point bringing me to 100%.

Be careful playing the PTSD card if you enjoy your 2nd Amendment Rights. Up to you.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 September 2017, 21:16
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I'm on short final for retirement, and trying to soak up every last bit of info on the process, etc, from those who have the experience behind them. Most all of what I learn comes from conversations with retirees.

Had you ever sought military medical attention for all the joints you got 20% for, prior to your consult with the VA?

What, specifically, is caught on appeal?
I had chronic tendinitis in my ankles, Surgery on my knee, dislocated shoulder, all of which I had paperwork on - 0%.

There is a memo flying around for parachute duty and another for dive duty. I will see if I can find them.

Dive Letter Attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vatl07_04.pdf (56.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 22 September 2017 at 21:22.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
There is a memo flying around for parachute duty and another for dive duty. I will see if I can find them.

Dive Letter Attached
Thanks, if you can find the parachute letter, that's be awesome.
Old 23 September 2017, 12:44
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
X2.
Old 23 September 2017, 13:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=128637

Sorry, I haven't been able to locate a VA letter though
Old 23 September 2017, 14:19
The Sagacious One

It sounds like the article gives you the process to ensure your parachutist duty is considered. Having your jump logs is critical if you don't have a MPB or SPB. It read like you need to couple your jump history with a present condition as she cites in the article.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 23 September 2017 at 16:43.
Old 23 September 2017, 15:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
All the Veterans Chapters, will have a VSO, they know some things but are not trained liked the VSO at the V.A. are, theses VSO's go thru training an have to attend several days every 3 to 4 months on up dates etc.
Old 23 September 2017, 15:22
Been There Done That

I am glad the VA got off their collective asses to provide memos like the two you mention about Scuba and Abn Duty. When I worked for the VFW as the State Service Officer the Providence Regional Officer had a Senior Rating Officer thought an 11C Soldier (indirect fire/mortar man) was a Driver (motorman) and did not award hearing loss to one of my Veterans. Abn Duty was considered just another duty that did not contribute to any physical disabilities. It took only one trip to the Regional Director to fix these problems.
This was only 14 years ago.
Old 23 September 2017, 22:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
It sounds like the article gives you the process to ensure your parachutist duty is considered. Having your jump logs is critical if you don't have a MPB or SPB. It read like you need to couple your jump history with a present condition as she cites in the article.
This ^^^
You also can write a statement or have your buddy write a statmentn on a 4138. You can also use NCOERs or award citations, hopefully those are in your file but if not, submit them. A statement must be taken as fact unless there is clear evidence stating otherwise.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported Americanís 2nd Amendment rights butÖ "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 26 September 2017, 09:49
Been There Done That

Here is a study on jump injuries to create your nexus. jump records+medical study+your records... = connection. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00041-0015.pdf

This is a good lit review on jump injuries that connect numerous other studies data which is available.
https://watermark.silverchair.com/ap...OrasIfydDeGtZ7

In my records the VA rep put "impacts to the ground at over 20 mph from parachuting..." that is exaggerated when it comes to speed, but I let them roll with it.

upload or provide that lit review and other paper - or others you find to help guide the evidence interpretation a non trained person might otherwise presume like "military parachuting isnt that dangerous"
Old 12 October 2017, 18:51
Confirmed User

thank you again for the replies, have been to my local VA here in Hopkinsville KY, they have mailed me all my prescriptions and have taken some x-rays for follow up. I have received in the mail my id card and have registered online on myhealthva. it is a good sight as I can read all the notes the doctors in Nashville wrote, see my blood and urine results and private message and questions I have had, usually have an answer within 24 hours.
they say if I understood that they can be my primary care. will will give them some time on a trail run. I hope this works out and would be great if I could get off my wifes insurance. that would save a lot.
Old 12 October 2017, 21:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet65 View Post
thank you again for the replies, have been to my local VA here in Hopkinsville KY, they have mailed me all my prescriptions and have taken some x-rays for follow up. I have received in the mail my id card and have registered online on myhealthva. it is a good sight as I can read all the notes the doctors in Nashville wrote, see my blood and urine results and private message and questions I have had, usually have an answer within 24 hours.
they say if I understood that they can be my primary care. will will give them some time on a trail run. I hope this works out and would be great if I could get off my wifes insurance. that would save a lot.
If you get over 30% you can get extra $$ for the wife.

Our new posting rules