Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 26 December 2017, 14:04
Authorized Personnel

As of today, they are still nationally accredited through DEAC (formerly known as DETC), and are not regionally accredited. Their web site doesn't mention anything about NAU or attempting to gain WASC accreditation...

https://www.henley-putnam.edu/accreditation/
Old 26 December 2017, 15:14
The Sagacious One

HPU is being acquired by another university that has the appropriate accreditation. I will try and get more details.
Old 26 December 2017, 20:19
Confirmed User

Hello all. I'm currently looking into a MS program for Public Health or Healthcare Administration. I'm curious about these other Intel studies and Security studies programs as I would much rather work alongside like minded individuals than in the healthcare field. What kind of careers have been landed with those types of degrees (Intel and Sec)? I am very worried about being underemployed after spending all that time and money on a master's degree. Thanks.
Old 26 December 2017, 20:21
Confirmed User

I should add I don't have any intel experience and my security experience other than overseas is as a guard LOL.
Old 29 December 2017, 00:36
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Dude, seriously consider professional certification as an alternative.

MUCH cheaper, MUCH shorter, and industry recognized. If you have the 4 year, you have the check in the box, putting a real world skill next to it will make you significantly more employable sooner.

Look at things like Big Data, Data Visualization, Data Analysis.

Health care as an industry is about half way through its 'digital transformation' so getting those hard skills for analysis, and then having relevant industry experience will allow you understand the data you are looking at from a practical perspective and write and seek analysis that is more meaningful than someone who has the skill but never actually did a job.

This is assuming that you were a medic, obviously.
Old 31 December 2017, 21:16
Confirmed User

IT is definitely not my field. My brother is some kind of SQL database searcher guy, I'd hang myself.
Old 1 January 2018, 00:00
pumpin gas and kickin ass

If you are not on LinkedIn, get on it, and look up a group called 'Veteran Mentor Network'.

Tell the group what you are trying to do, and see if you can't stumble on somebody already doing it. Then ask them where you should spend your time in education on.

Another resource to look into is Veterati. They give veterans free on demand mentorship sessions, aligned to industry interest.

Trying to pick your education path first, hoping to have it lead you to a career path is bad juju.

Get some conversations in with people in the career, and then reverse engineer the learning path from there.
Old 1 January 2018, 08:58
Administrator

FYI I am a mentor with Veterati.
Old 1 January 2018, 10:24
Confirmed User

Thanks for the input. No, I'm not on LinkedIn yet other than a pictureless profile. My goal is pretty simple, land a health administration or public health job at the VA or CDC. I'd much rather like to work in a professional intel gathering or security related field than in healthcare, but I'm clueless as to what that would take me to get into. LinkedIn will be on my to-do list.
Old 1 January 2018, 16:44
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post

Another resource to look into is Veterati. They give veterans free on demand mentorship sessions, aligned to industry interest.
I am a Veterati mentor as well..
Old 1 January 2018, 22:07
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Thanks for the input. No, I'm not on LinkedIn yet other than a pictureless profile. My goal is pretty simple, land a health administration or public health job at the VA or CDC. I'd much rather like to work in a professional intel gathering or security related field than in healthcare, but I'm clueless as to what that would take me to get into. LinkedIn will be on my to-do list.
Lot of pictureless profiles get passed on by lack of a photo.

Our new posting rules