Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 10 July 2011, 23:16
sterious scizor

They don't run a program that requires a clearance, they "vet" prospect students.
Old 11 July 2011, 04:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by universible View Post
They don't run a program that requires a clearance, they "vet" prospect students.
How do they "vet" students? Do they have an FSO?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 July 2011, 05:14
sterious scizor

Sorry I wasnt more clear. They are not officially vetting anything, from my understanding. It's more if their own internal background check (run your name, credit, other info through lexis nexus, etc). Unless it's changed, they don't do much else. Obviously I'd be hesitant to give them any info about clearances. I can't see a reason they'd need it.

This based on first hand experience over a number of years, though before the most recent iteration of the school.
Old 11 July 2011, 08:30
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by universible View Post
Sorry I wasnt more clear. They are not officially vetting anything, from my understanding. It's more if their own internal background check (run your name, credit, other info through lexis nexus, etc). Unless it's changed, they don't do much else. Obviously I'd be hesitant to give them any info about clearances. I can't see a reason they'd need it.

This based on first hand experience over a number of years, though before the most recent iteration of the school.
This is precisely what bothered me about HPU. Why would they need to see prospective students' credit scores to provide them with high-level information about their classes? It just does not sound right. I'm going to give them a call today and see what exactly they need for a background check and also find out what do they have in place for PII protection.
Old 11 July 2011, 08:53
Anesthetized User

Clearences, "vetting", credit checks?

As written here, this seems to be more about trying to impress someone than it is about actual education.

But, WTF do I know, I just attend a regular plain ole school.

And what does the student do if they ever want to teach at a college or university? Would the degree holder be precluded as we are back to that lacking regional accreditation? While I understand that RC is not the be all end all for specific career fields, it is for most.

Let's see what WASC says about it all.

Report to follow ASAP today.

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 11 July 2011 at 09:03. Reason: Added content.
Old 11 July 2011, 09:30
Anesthetized User

Ok from their website regarding background checks:

http://www.henley-putnam.edu/106-231.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.
Old 11 July 2011, 10:15
Russian Tycoon

Is that what you were referring to?

"Identity Verification: Due to the unique nature of the course contents, Henley-Putnam University requires applicants to go through a background check and/or screening process prior to acceptance."

I am gonna give them a call on my break and post an update.
Old 11 July 2011, 10:42
Been There Done That

They're more worried about whether or not you have the ability to keep up on your tuition payments, than whether or not you are a security risk.
Old 11 July 2011, 11:12
sterious scizor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Clearences, "vetting", credit checks?

As written here, this seems to be more about trying to impress someone than it is about actual education.
I'd say right on the money, as with making sure you can pay them. Not bad people, they put a lot of their own resources in getting the school off the ground.
Old 11 July 2011, 19:38
Anesthetized User

Per Chris at WASC:

HPU has applied for accreditation with WASC.

The HPU accreditation application has been assigned to someone who is on vacation this week.

The next step is for HPU to contact WASC and set up a prelimenary appointment to meet.

HPU has not done this as of today.

Accreditation takes from 3-7 years.

Accreditation will not apply retroactively for degree holders once accreditation is granted.

WASC 1-510-748-9001

Look here too:

http://chea.org/

Support SOCNET.
Old 11 July 2011, 19:44
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Per Chris at WASC:

HPU has applied for accreditation with WASC.

The HPU accreditation application has been assigned to someone who is on vacation this week.

The next step is for HPU to contact WASC and set up a prelimenary appointment to meet.

HPU has not done this as of today.

Accreditation takes from 3-7 years.

Accreditation will not apply retroactively for degree holders once accreditation is granted.

WASC 1-510-748-9001

Look here too:

http://chea.org/
Good intel! Thank you for posting this. AMU it is.
Old 14 July 2011, 05:13
My ERB's on SOCNET

For .mil types

You may also wanna consider NDIC under the DIA, offering both BSI and Masters.
http://www.ndic.edu/

Last edited by troy2k; 14 July 2011 at 05:15.
Old 26 July 2011, 10:57
Confirmed User

Does anyone have experience with the Certificate in Security Management? I'm thinking of getting that while working on my bachelors with AMU. It's expensive, but if it can help me get where I want to go, then I'm fine. Just want to get quality schooling.
Old 26 July 2011, 12:14
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcannon View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Certificate in Security Management? I'm thinking of getting that while working on my bachelors with AMU. It's expensive, but if it can help me get where I want to go, then I'm fine. Just want to get quality schooling.
If you are thinking about getting certified in security field, I would recommend going with one of the ASIS International certifications (PSP or CPP, based on your qualifications). They will add more value to your resume (and money to your paycheck) than a cert from AMU.
Old 26 July 2011, 12:21
Confirmed User

I am studying for my PSP now actually. Just would like to get a piece of paper from a university (even if it's not RA) to help me in my career.
Old 26 July 2011, 12:40
Russian Tycoon

Between a Bachelor's from AMU and a PSP you will be in very good shape! Good luck!
Old 26 July 2011, 13:37
Über Equus Asinus

Girlwithaglock is spot on... an ASIS cert will weigh more heavily than most university undergrad certs in security management.. I have seen ALOT of job postings where CPP is preferred or even required to apply.. I have never seen a posting that asked for an undergrad cert or one that suggessted they would consider an undergrad cert in lieu of the CPP..

the undergrad cert would be better than nothing.. but in my opinion there are better ways to invest your time and your money...

if you meet the education/experience requirements to sit for the CPP.. my advice is to go that route rather than the PSP (the study and effort you have put into the PSP will apply to what you need to sit for the CPP.. so nothing is lost..)..

the CPP holds substantially more weight in most corporate settings.. and is a pretty substantial focus point for most of the domestic contract providers of security services once you reach the senior management level as well (the G4S, Securitas, Allied Barton, etc.. of the world)...
Old 27 July 2011, 10:27
Confirmed User

Thank you, I enjoy learning about the subjects for PSP, but I may switch to CPP if it means better recognition. Also, I think I will pass on the Cert (especially since they never responded to me) and use the 5 grand for another course.......which I may start a post about later :)
Old 27 July 2011, 14:45
Administrator

To amplify other answers, the certificate is not a certification. It's a nice to have if you have a degree in something not security related and want to show you have some formal ed in it. That's it.

It's really a waste of time and money if you have CPP or long term experience in the field or both.
Old 28 July 2011, 01:03
Been There Done That

I looked into Henley Putnam. Seemed like a great program until I realized they were nationally accredited, and not regionally. Regardless of how great the curriculum, if a program is not regionally accredited you may be wasting your time. Now, you may just want a piece of paper. In the future, you may want to continue your education with a master's or beyond. You will find yourself limited to where you can go. As well, depending on the industry you work in, or find yourself in, the degree may not be accepted either. I would recommend almost any regionally accredited program over a national accredited one. The exception of course is certifications as mentioned above.
I have experience in both brick and mortar schools and online programs. I recommend AMU/APU. Long post for a noob, but important,

Our new posting rules