Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 8 January 2013, 21:35
Confirmed User

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

I'm currently serving on Active Duty in the Air Force and plan on starting my undergrad in a major that would set me up for the possibility of flying (military or civilian). I just got approval to attend Embry Riddle and would be paying for the costs via Tuition Assistance (TA).

My question is whether or not this would be a good school to attempt to graduate from with the potential goal of wanting to fly as a career? Is the flight training through ER worth the effort- or are there better options available?

I have a few other military goals I plan on completing before contemplating applying for pilot training in the military. Either way, I would like to do something flying related once I get out of the military.

Another SOCNET'er gave some great insight and suggested that I open this discussion up for the other members on this forum who have graduated from said school.

Thanks for any information in advance!

(I did a search and no threads existed that weighed the pros and cons regarding this school.)
Old 8 January 2013, 22:21
Been There Done That

ERAU is primarily a science and math school. It is great for engineers and the like. I don't know that it matters for a pilot to get an undergrad degree from there? The flight training they give is good from the friends who have gone through it but the same can be said of many other schools which are significantly less expensive.

I'm hoping to finish my BS from there this summer and the one thing that I have learned above all else is that ERAU is incredibly expensive. Personally I'd do some shopping around.

I'm not sure how your TA works but the Army has a semester hour cap which is less than the course cost at ERAU. This means that even with TA I have to come out of pocket for each class plus my book costs. With my Army TA I can take 6 classes per fiscal year before the money runs out. With other schools I can take more classes. When you add up your out of pocket cost over the course of the degree it really adds up just to have a different name on your diploma.

If you were going to be an engineer taking classes on the campus I'd say it might be a worthwhile investment. If you are an active duty guy going to school online or on a military base, not so much...
Old 9 January 2013, 08:51
Been There Done That

ERAU is very respected in the aviation community. If your ultimate goal is to fly and be involved in that realm, then ERAU is great for that. You'll make good connections and have the requisite tools (math/science) to succeed. I finished my BS/MS with them years ago, and noticed the massive tuition increase recently. When I went in the 80's, there was a program in the USAF where they paid 90% TA. As Little fix advised, look around for better rates.
Old 9 January 2013, 11:11
Drawing my cutlass

Agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
ERAU is very respected in the aviation community. If your ultimate goal is to fly and be involved in that realm, then ERAU is great for that. You'll make good connections and have the requisite tools (math/science) to succeed. I finished my BS/MS with them years ago, and noticed the massive tuition increase recently. When I went in the 80's, there was a program in the USAF where they paid 90% TA. As Little fix advised, look around for better rates.
...and that's mainly due to the policies of - wait for it - President John P. Johnson who has seen fit to take ERAU from its aviation roots in favor of a business school environment for the university. This entailed a massive plan to build more facilities on its campus in Daytona Beach (where I went) at the expense of full time and part time students. Even the world-wide campus has seen a significant increase in tuition and fees and Dagger's plan of using TA and possibly VA benefits is a sound decision in pursuing an aviation career.

Furthermore, a colleague of mine sits on the executive board of ERAU and he recently told me that the average full time campus student (DB or Prescott) who pursues a BS in Aeronautical Science can expect to pay upwards of $150,000 for his degree plus all the certificates (CPL IR ME CFI CFII MEI). Not a good position to be in when starting salaries for sitting in the right seat of a regional jet are about $23,000.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 9 January 2013, 14:08
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger0824 View Post
I'm currently serving on Active Duty in the Air Force and plan on starting my undergrad in a major that would set me up for the possibility of flying (military or civilian). I just got approval to attend Embry Riddle and would be paying for the costs via Tuition Assistance (TA).

My question is whether or not this would be a good school to attempt to graduate from with the potential goal of wanting to fly as a career? Is the flight training through ER worth the effort- or are there better options available?

I have a few other military goals I plan on completing before contemplating applying for pilot training in the military. Either way, I would like to do something flying related once I get out of the military.

Another SOCNET'er gave some great insight and suggested that I open this discussion up for the other members on this forum who have graduated from said school.

Thanks for any information in advance!

(I did a search and no threads existed that weighed the pros and cons regarding this school.)
Despite being on the expensive side regarding tuition, using Tuition Assistance while on active duty is a great strategy. You can get flight training that is less expensive but ERAU does have the name recognition (boy, I hate that concept but that is the reality). If any doubt as to whether you will finish the programme, then it may not be such a great idea. You are the best judge in the matter.

Based on only taking a course from ERAU (Security and Intelligence curriculum (BAF-2010), their teachers seemed knowledgeable and depending on where you are located, courses can be dropped due to insufficient participants.
Old 9 January 2013, 15:56

Check the National Intercollegiate Flying Association for some good guidance:

National Intercollegiate Flying Association

Here is a pretty good thread on the subject:

College and Flight Training

Noah W
Old 10 January 2013, 04:10

ERAU

I went to ERAU and found out that yeah though the name will get you through the door, airlines in America today aren't hiring as much as they used to. With that said, i transfered to Utah Valley University and they have a great aviation program using the Diamond Kitana aircraft and their tuition isnt as expensive. The way i see it is at least you won't have to spend too much on flight training because ERAU nickle and dimes you and you could end up spending twice what you would spend at most other colleges. University of North Dakota also has a good program and they compete with Riddle on certain flight competions yearly.
Old 10 January 2013, 14:58
Confirmed User

Thanks for the input everyone- I do appreciate the insight.

I'll talk to my counselor and see how much out of pocket I'd be paying and make a decision from there. They made it seem that my TA would cover everything (up to six classes per year) and I'd pay books. Which I'm cool with.

Either way, thanks again.
Old 11 January 2013, 16:44
Been There Done That

That's what the Army says too. The real answer for the army is that I pay $30 for each of the six classes because their semester hour cost cap is just under the course cost. The kicker is that once the TA runs out for the year you are paying a significant amount of money for classes which may only be recognized through ERAU.

I'm taking an UL elective titled; "Leadership" this semester with an out of pocket cost of just shy of $900. When you add in the book costs for the other three classes I'm taking this semester it's outrageous. I'm not sure what I can learn online about leadership in 9 weeks that I didn't get in the last 20 years of being in the military but I'll find out starting on Monday.

My advice to everyone is to knock out as many CLEP's/ DANTES exams as possible. Maximize your TA by using cheaper institutions for the classes which will transfer over like basic math and english and then hope for the best with whatever required classes you have to have through your diploma mill of choice. I personally want to kick my own ass for the amount of money I'm spending to add a line to my resume but that's the world we live in.
Old 12 January 2013, 01:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
My advice to everyone is to knock out as many CLEP's/ DANTES exams as possible.
Also seriously consider UEXCEL exams and ECE's. Many of the DANTES and ECE tests carry upper-level credit.

Some universities (e.g. Ohio University) offer departmental exams in addition to their distance-ed courses. Beneficial if you've spent some time doing a lot of reading on your own already.

If you insist on doing flight training at a so-called university or technical school, make damned certain that you combine it with some significant course work that will score you a degree in something like engineering, atmospheric science, human factors, or accountancy. Having "aviation" as your major is little more than general studies with some FAA tickets included; you won't be getting picked up by NASA Aircraft Operations Division with that (engineering and science majors only please!). Same goes for industrial flight test.

Get a mechanic certificate while you're at it, if at all possible. Be aware that in most, if not all, entry-level civil aviation jobs, you will not be flying full-time. Unless you're in a position to do maintenance work back in the hangar (and drawing better pay for it, BTW), expect to spend the rest of your time doing a combination of receptionist and janitorial tasks, if you're even employed there full-time at all (frequently not).

As for the airman certificates themselves, what matters is whether you have them, not where you obtained them. So-called "Big Name Aviation University" establishments are largely a racket based on snob appeal. Do shop carefully, but be aware that the quality of flight training obtainable from Wilbur-Wasn't-Lucky Aviation Services or Lower Monkey D*ck Aero Club can be remarkably good. If they have local competition, find out what their clientele have to say about them. Keep in mind that if you feel like you're getting nickel-and-dimed for no clear reason, you are, so do not walk -- RUN! -- and take your business elsewhere. Having been to several of them during the past three decades, I know. You're embarking on an extremely expensive pursuit no matter how you slice it, and the market is fraught with as many lying, thieving cheat scumbags as there are reputable operations.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited by WS-G; 12 January 2013 at 02:17.
Old 12 January 2013, 18:12
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone- I do appreciate the insight.

I'll talk to my counselor and see how much out of pocket I'd be paying and make a decision from there.
Check to see if your local community offers a similar programme
http://vernonhills.patch.com/article...eginner-pilots

...With the demand for commercial pilots expected to take off due to a wave of retirements, the College of Lake County will launch a new, 15-week private pilot ground school that will serve as a steppingstone to aviation careers......
Old 12 January 2013, 19:21
Confirmed User

Speaking of links...

Here's one that -- surprisingly! -- Michael Moore actually got right: http://www.wimp.com/pilotsstamps/ Unfortunately, this stuff is no exaggeration.

Also: http://thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com/index.html
Old 13 March 2015, 22:06
Confirmed User

Update--

It took me two years to finish my undergrad- turned in my last final earlier this week.

Also, not sure if graduating from ERAU helped or not, but my Commander came in to let me know I got into OTS with a pilot slot earlier today as well.

So ERAU has helped me achieve my goals and I am happy I attended.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out in this thread.
Old 13 March 2015, 22:32
Authorized Personnel

Congratulations!!
Old 13 March 2015, 22:47
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Congrats!
My 17-year-old just got accepted to ERAU. Am going down there for a visit at the end of the month. He wants to do aeronautical engineering. Waiting to hear (should be within the next 2 weeks) whether he got a ROTC scholarship, which will make a big difference on where he neds up going.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 13 March 2015, 22:54
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Update--

It took me two years to finish my undergrad- turned in my last final earlier this week.

Also, not sure if graduating from ERAU helped or not, but my Commander came in to let me know I got into OTS with a pilot slot earlier today as well.

Great news! Congrats brother.
Old 13 March 2015, 23:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Update--

Congratulations! That's good news!
Old 13 March 2015, 23:50
Authorized Personnel

Great accomplishment!

Congratulations.
Old 14 March 2015, 08:26
Swimming Upstream

I was surprised to learn how little pilots earn their first several years. Eye opening.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 14 March 2015, 11:45
Been There Done That

Excellent news, congrats!

Our new posting rules