Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 24 January 2018, 03:47
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maim View Post
If it hadn't been for SOCNET I'd have topped myself years ago. You will find more support from people that understand here than you can possibly imagine. Shout out, guys are listening. Safe ever, M.
You keep your ass here, fucker.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 24 January 2018, 05:35
Confirmed User

"You keep your ass here, fucker."

That is why I am still here!

Thanks all.

M.
Old 1 April 2018, 10:55
Been There Done That

Bump.......
Just a reminder, those in pain, suffering and fighting the demons may not be exhibiting the obvious target indicators. The individual(s) may be extremely successful both in their military career and civilian life. As TFG posted in http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=129145 we must pull our own out of the kill zone. No one knows "us" better than us, and no one will take care of us, better than us. Today is Easter, the day Jesus ascended to Heaven after having died for our sins, what a great reason to reach out and call a brother and/or sister and as mentioned above, it may not be the obvious individual. Remind them, no matter how dark the demons may be, life is better on this side of the grass. Sorry for the rant.
Old 1 April 2018, 14:55
Confirmed User

^Rant appreciated! Happy Easter all!!
Old 1 April 2018, 14:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Bump.......
Just a reminder, those in pain, suffering and fighting the demons may not be exhibiting the obvious target indicators. The individual(s) may be extremely successful both in their military career and civilian life. As TFG posted in http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=129145 we must pull our own out of the kill zone. No one knows "us" better than us, and no one will take care of us, better than us. Today is Easter, the day Jesus ascended to Heaven after having died for our sins, what a great reason to reach out and call a brother and/or sister and as mentioned above, it may not be the obvious individual. Remind them, no matter how dark the demons may be, life is better on this side of the grass. Sorry for the rant.

No rant.

Happy Easter BTW. Good post. No matter who or if you pray to.

Phone a friend. Plenty here.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 1 April 2018, 16:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
No rant.

Happy Easter BTW. Good post. No matter who or if you pray to.

Phone a friend. Plenty here.
Thanks. It's never too soon to "bump" this thread but it's always too late......
Old 1 April 2018, 19:11
Confirmed User

No one is immune to this. A good friend and colleague, Retired SgtMaj Todd Parisi, 28 years of service, multiple tours in Iraq at various levels, Infantry, Scout Sniper, NCOIC of Scout Sniper school 1st Mar Div (92-94), 26th MEU SgtMaj, Leader and mentor to 1000's (including me), was a Marines Marine, Motivated everyone around him and lifted up those who needed help anyway he could, was a Motivational speaker and a huge advocate for all kinds of veteran service orgs, high school teacher, father of three and grand father of two, just retired in 2014, took his own life two days ago.

Nobody saw it coming and people were in contact with him frequently since he retired. Everyone has demons, young Marines through senior leaders, sometimes those demon take control.
Old 1 April 2018, 19:14
Authorized Personnel

That fucking sucks. I went thru the SS Advance Course with Todd at Quantico. Nobody is immune.
Old 1 April 2018, 19:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
No one is immune to this. A good friend and colleague, Retired SgtMaj Todd Parisi, 28 years of service, multiple tours in Iraq at various levels, Infantry, Scout Sniper, NCOIC of Scout Sniper school 1st Mar Div (92-94), 26th MEU SgtMaj, Leader and mentor to 1000's (including me), was a Marines Marine, Motivated everyone around him and lifted up those who needed help anyway he could, was a Motivational speaker and a huge advocate for all kinds of veteran service orgs, high school teacher, father of three and grand father of two, just retired in 2014, took his own life two days ago.

Nobody saw it coming and people were in contact with him frequently since he retired. Everyone has demons, young Marines through senior leaders, sometimes those demon take control.
That's why I "bumped" this thread. Todd and I were stationed at MarBrks, Subic Bay together and he was one of my instructors at SS in 1992. What a kick in the balls this was when I heard the news yesterday.
Old 1 April 2018, 19:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
That fucking sucks. I went thru the SS Advance Course with Todd at Quantico. Nobody is immune.
We served together in many capacities and our families spent many BBQ's together.

I am at a loss and still cannot comprehend any of this, other then I understand the struggle.
Old 1 April 2018, 19:31
Authorized Personnel

It was a long time ago when I knew him, but he seemed like such an upbeat, positive dude. Guess we've all changed.
Old 1 April 2018, 19:35
Administrator

I'm pretty sure that's why WHG resurrected this thread as the word came out yesterday and many people were caught off guard by it.
Old 1 April 2018, 21:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I'm pretty sure that's why WHG resurrected this thread as the word came out yesterday and many people were caught off guard by it.
I have known and worked with Todd for a long time, it was to say the least, a bone crushing blow.

He will be missed by many.
Old 4 April 2018, 18:56
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Bump.......
Thanks for posting that!
Old 5 April 2018, 08:21
Swimming Upstream

For those who feel the crushing darkness and heaviness. Please know it is not permanent. BTDT. But taking your life IS permanent. There is no do over. Some fucking depression is actually caused by nutritional deficiencies and now they are learning that blast damage affects The pituitary gland and causes hormonal imbalance leading to emotional distress and physical distress. BUT THERE IS TREATMENT FOR THAT!!!! Something so simple as a thorough blood work up and getting hormone and nutrition right can get you back to “Normal.” Me? I spent a month on Klonopin and 1 Year on an antidepressant after Iraq. Saved my life. NO SHAME. You are too valuable to to us so hit someone up here and we’ll walk with you.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 6 April 2018, 17:09
Been There Done That

Obituary/Internment details for SgtMaj Parisi

Obituary/Internment details for SgtMaj Parisi. RIP brother.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/smd...986&fhid=15333
Old 8 April 2018, 00:04
Confronting the Reckoning

Don't fucking quit. Break the cycle.
Old 8 April 2018, 09:47
The Sagacious One

I can say that I have damaged some virtual and actual friendships when confronting or attempting to assist some folks that I or others were in fear of hurting themselves. While it wasn't my intent to malign their character, I would rather have them be mad at me or dissolve the relationship than carry another ghost on my soul. While I am deeply sorry for all of their perceived injustices, I will never apologize for caring.
Old 8 April 2018, 10:24
Confirmed User

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem or circumstance.

As a police officer I've seen suicide up close and personal... without exaggeration, more times than I can remember. One one occasion, a gentleman called 911 to advise PD of his intention. I was right around the corner and arrived seconds after dispatch; the smoke from his pistol was still floating in the room...much of his brain on the couch. At every scene we stand there and look at the person wondering what happened to bring them to the point they ran out of hope. I've been to scores of suicides and even for cynical asshole cops like us it was a sad, but detached event.
Recently my veteran nephew decided he had enough with PTSD and opioid addiction and jumped off a high-rise building to end his suffering. I was at work when my sister called me, she was screaming hysterically saying her son sent her a cryptic text and Tampa PD just left the house after notifying her of his suicide. I immediately got nauseas. I had never known anyone personally who committed suicide and that day brought many emotions and left my family asking questions we will never get the answers to. Sadness and ANGER chief among mine. How did we miss this, where there signs, how could we fail him like this? If we knew could we have saved him? Why did he hide it?...what did his close friends know? etc...etc....etc.
Old 8 April 2018, 10:55
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I can say that I have damaged some virtual and actual friendships when confronting or attempting to assist some folks that I or others were in fear of hurting themselves. While it wasn't my intent to malign their character, I would rather have them be mad at me or dissolve the relationship than carry another ghost on my soul. While I am deeply sorry for all of their perceived injustices, I will never apologize for caring.
Right on!

Our new posting rules